Trigger has a mass

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Trigger has a mass

Post by Kay »

I took Trigger to the vet on Friday, because his left hock had suddenly become swollen, and he was limping - an x-ray has revealed he has a large mass in his pelvic area, which is impeding his movement, causing him to injure the tendons in the leg

a sample was taken, but as the only option if it turns out to be benign (unlikely) is a complete leg amputation, not guaranteed to be successful, and as I would want him to have lots of tests first to ensure nothing else is going on, which would mean lots of hated vet visits, I am not going down that route

he is now on Metacam, and already it has made a huge difference - I got up this morning to find him on the top of the outdoor cat tree, with the swelling going down - if this keeps up we can happily let him go on until further symptoms develop, as he is enjoying life now the pain has gone

I have had no previous experience of Metacam though, and my one fear is that he might react badly to it - I'm not worried about kidney problems, because I doubt he has long enough for that to matter - but at the moment he is eating well, and I want that to continue - he hates me trying to dose him so being able to pop it into his food is important

does anyone have experience of a cat tolerating a daily dose of Metacam for some time without stomach problems?

oddly enough, in the three days he's had it there has been no sign of his bringing up morning bile - perhaps the anti-inflammatory effect of the Metacam has actually helped his overly sensitive stomach?
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Re: Trigger has a mass

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Hello Kay

I'm sorry you have this worry and sadness for your boy. I know you'll get some great replies on here about Metacam. From our experience, my boy Edgar is on 0.5ml daily at the moment whilst we get to the bottom of his gingivitis/calicivirus. He was also manifesting signs of possible early on set arthritis and wasn't grooming properly. He's only a young boy, possibly 7 years old, so it seems a big thing for him to be taking it every day. He is also inclined to a sensitive tummy. Immediately after his first dental, he seemed to react badly to Metacam and had diarrhoea, so I took him off it. We started trying it again a few months later and this time he didn't have the same reaction. He is also grooming properly again now, especially his bum, and he has no mobility problems. He is now on a largely cereal free diet with occasional gastro intestinal prescription food and this seems to have a good effect on his gums and his poo. My old girl, Pepsi, is on Metacam every other day, and she certainly has no stomach problems. She's only ever been sick once since she's been with me and that's when she got to the ice cream! Metacam has made no difference to gastric health but it has helped her gums and her mobility and at her age - possibly around 17 - I have no difficulty on that basis with justifying any possible risks.

I think Mark will be able to help you more. Fusses to you dear boy. Bless his little heart. xx

Edited PS - yes, I meant he has up to the 5 mark on the syringe. x
Last edited by SarahT1 [PLLE] on Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

Hi Kay,

Sorry to hear about Trigger. Alice had Metacam every day for a good couple of years. The problem is, she often had an upset stomach, with or without it, so hard to tell. I don't think it ever caused her any stomach bleeding, which is the more worrying thing.

I think the most important thing is the latest advice, which is to dose at a cats expected lean weight, rather than actual weight.

My new vet next door insists that Metacam is safe. He said my old vet never should have taken Alice off it when she developed kidney disease - especially as he thought she had spinal arthritis. He had her on it to the end.

The syringe is marked by weight in kg, so the 5 mark isn't 0.5ml, it is about 1/5th of that (0.05ml per kg body weight)
Last edited by MarkB on Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

I think because he's always been sensitive to something, not sure what, in most cat food, I assumed he might have a problem with the Metacam, but he's now had 4 doses without any sign of being sick, so hopefully it's going to be Ok

he's having the dose for 4.5kg, and as he's naturally lean it sounds as if that is OK then

he's maintained a decent weight all his 13 years, and even when his thyroid levels rose to above 100 he only lost 300 grams over 4 months

he's been walking very slowly for at least a year, so this mass might be slow growing, although there is always the possibility it has become aggressive recently

I'll take it one day at a time, go on with Metacam, given in a bit of the lamb's liver he adores and used to be rationed to, and try not to worry about the future
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by greenkitty »

I don't have anything useful to add but hope you're able to keep your lad comfortable.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Sorry poor Trigger's not been well. My old Giddy was on Metacam for arthritis for a couple of years with no ill effects. I did take her off it in the end because she lost some weight which did help her ease of movement, so along with her heated cat bed she seemed to do fine without it. She'd been diagnosed with some kidney issues before she went on it but the Metacam didn't seem to be make things any worse, and I only took her off it because I'd heard so much about possible problems, not because she had any - if she'd still needed it I'd have carried on using it.

Basil had been on daily Metacam since he came to live with me last year because of the damage sustained when his leg was broken in a car accident - the break has healed but he does get arthritis in the shoulder. He started being sick sometimes in the spring so I reduced the Metacam dose to every other day, and he's doing absolutely fine on that. It's a sad fact, but I always admire Basil's poos - they are the most perfect cat poos I have ever seen. What made me laugh was that I mentioned that to the nurse at the vets once and she said "Yes!!! He does - I noticed that!!"! (He was handed in as a stray with a broken leg, so spent quite a while there and became a bit of a favourite before I took him on as a foster cat).

Glad he seems to be doing OK on it so far, and that it seems to be helping him. Hopefully things will stay that way. Give him a fuss from me. xx
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

Trigger has become increasingly lame as the tumour has grown, and can only move with the greatest difficulty now

so although he seems well in himself, and not in any obvious pain, he lies in his bed for 23+ hours, only struggling out to eat and use the tray, so his quality of life is very limited, and I have decided it is time to let him go

think of us Friday afternoon, when the vet will come to my home, and I hope send him on his way while he is still in his bed
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

Kay, I am so sorry - I am not sure how I missed this thread ((hug))

My thoughts most definitely will be with your and Trigger come Friday. Please give your boy a gentle fuss from me xxxx
sarie
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by sarie »

Oh Kay I'm so sorry :( I'll be thinking of you and Trigger on Friday. Please give him some fusses from me too.. xxx
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by greenkitty »

I'll be thinking of you and Trigger on Friday Kay, so sorry x
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

I'm sorry, Kay. You and the little boy will.be in my thoughts. Gentle fusses to Trig. Xxx
Last edited by SarahT1 [PLLE] on Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

Sorry Kay :(

So hard to do what we know we have to for them x
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

So sorry to hear the news Kay. :(

I will be thinking of you and Trigger. (Hugs) to you and gentle fusses to your boy.
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Walesgang »

Nothing useful to say Kay other than I hope things work out for him

Val
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

I'm so sorry to hear this Kay
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

So so sorry, you are doing the kindest thing for Trigger Friday, I will be thinking of you, I totally understand how you feel...x
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Oh Kay, I'm so very sorry to hear this. I know how tough it is, I've been there myself recently, but it really is the most loving thing you can do for them when the time has come. I really hope your plan works out and he goes peacefully in his bed.

Will be thinking of you tomorrow, and today. Give Trigger a gentle fuss from me too. (((hugs)))
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

So sorry to hear this Kay. Will be thinking of you and Trigger tomorrow afternoon. Please give him a gentle cuddle from me.
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Diana »

Kay I am so so sorry to hear this. You have to go with your gut and you know Trigger better then anyone and if you feel it's his time, then I believe you are doing the right thing for your guy.

I was reading through and was glad to hear he was doing great on the metacam then I saw numerous sorrys and I thought I must have missed a post, sure enough I did...yours. I will be thinking of you and Trigger tomorrow. X

(It's sad to know that we have lost quite a few cats in the last few weeks)
Camdengirl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Camdengirl »

So sorry to hear this, Kay, I will be thinking of you and Trigger tomorrow. Gentle fusses to your lovely lad x
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Will be thinking of you both this afternoon. xx
sarie
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by sarie »

Thinking of you both Today Kay xxx
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

Me too - thinking of you both today xxxx
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Will be holding you both in our thoughts today, with much love. xx
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

You will be very much in my thoughts today, wishing you strength at this dificult time.....x
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Walesgang »

You are in my thoughts today Kay
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Diana »

I shall be thinking of you and Trigger. Sending lots of hugs x
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

we're waiting quite calmly - Trigger in the bed he has spent the past fortnight in, virtually 24/7, and me taking ages to rearrange all the photos I have of him into a single folder- I have given him a good dose of Metacam early to prevent any pain, and hopefully stop any restlessness

I have prepared his grave - he will lie under the patio where he loved to stretch out in the sun, and over him will grow Russian snowdrops and Russian sage - and a friend is coming to join me for his funeral

although this waiting is awful, it is a comfort to have everything arranged - and a huge comfort to have a home euthanasia, which makes it so much easier for cat and owner
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

God bless you girl. x
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

What a wonderful, selfless tribute to your boy, it has truly moved me to tears...bless you..x