Fluffy in discomfort

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Re: Fluffy in discomfort

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

So glad the little princess likes her biscuits. I hope they help things along soon. Marmite and Bovril are popular with my gang. Pepsi practically salivates if I sit next to her with marmite on toast. Lidl do some meaty sticks like Weebox which are liver and yeast flavour and the have a similar smell.

Come on Fluffy , give your Mummy something to smile about!
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Thanks Sarah. I'm glad too that she likes them. I've just tried her with the granules from the vet again. She's refused them once again. So it looks like the fibre response might be the one thing she will eat that helps her. Our girls cause us some worry don't they. Having said that, I hope Edgar is feeling better at the moment.
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by JulieandBarney »

Hi Carol......I will be heading off to buy Fibre Response too, as now in same boat as you, as Barney not 'been' again since Tuesday :( .....he wolfed down some raw lamb again and his encore food...but still no trip to the litter tray.....just in time for the weekend !!.....such a worry....otherwise happy in himself, but if this continues then 'here we go again'..........xx
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Hi Carol, how's Fluffy today ?.....xx
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Hi Julie. I'm happy to report that she did a poo very early this morning before I got up. Just in the nick of time too. She is great in herself. Purring and being extremely vocal. Over the last few months she has developed a repertoire of different squeaks. I know when she's not feeling good cos she goes quiet. So I am relieved that she is now back to normal with her bossy ways :) She keeps flatly refusing the granules that the vet gave. No matter how well I try to disguise them. Thankfully she still likes the fibre response.

How's the lovely Barney doing today? Are you still worried? xx
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Hi Carol....exactly the same as you !! This morning Barney walked into his litter tray at 6am and thankfully had 'a movement' ........I was worried sick, same as you, and gave him so many hugs and 'good boys' that I think he got the message !! Irregardless of the fact I couldn't sleep worrying about him and worn out at work !!......I am off to pets at home to get him some Fibre response as Mark suggested.....then next week, the dreaded introduction to the outside world !!! He has been jumping up the patio doors to go out and crying ....our garden is big and 6' fence all round in rural area, no main roads and everyone has cats around me, and lovely people....I am so afraid of letting him out and never seeing him again....I can't bare the thought of it, but he is crying to go out, he has been kept in since October......Oh dear, something else to worry about !!!..........Glad Fluffy on the mend too........x
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Hi Julie xx Do you think our cats are related :) . It is amazing how they get these problems at the same time. I am so glad that Barney did the business this morning. Probably about the same time as Fluffy!! I didn't know Pets at Home sold Fibre Response. Worth knowing for the future.

It does sound like Barney is ready to go out into the big wide world. Your neighbourhood sounds pretty safe and secure. I don't know much about these things nowadays as Fluffy can't get out of our garden and she only ever goes out under supervision. Highly inconvenient I know. But there's loads on this forum who are experienced with letting a cat out for the first time so maybe it would be a good idea to start a thread on it to get some advice on when it's best to let him out and how long for etc. At least the better weather is on it's way (supposedly).

A bit more activity and exercise outside might help Barney with his "movements" xx
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Hi Carol......Just 'bumping' this post, as not been able to log in here recently due to family problems.....Barney was going a bit downhill again with the 'pooh' problem, I went to 'Jolley's' pet store and 'Pets At Home' in Stratford on Avon, and though I couldn't find Royal Canin Fibre Response, I saw 'Royal Canin Intense Furball' dry food, which contained Psyliium, I bought it, as I could think of no other option, I put it in Barneys wet food ( and now his raw meat which he loves!) within 3 hours he had used his litter tray and seemed much happier for doing so .......It really seemed to have worked, well at least this time !!, having tried many other things !...May be an option for Fluffy....If it's hard for you to get, let me know and I will post some to you to try.....x
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Hi Julie. Sorry to hear you've been having problems.

I am so glad that you've found something that has helped Barney. You must have been worried again if he was deteriorating. I know what it's like when you start to get into a bit of a panic when several days have gone and you can see they're not happy. I haven't heard of the RC Intense Furball food before. I'll have a look on line for some info about it. Thanks for the offer to send me a sample. I tend to get anything out of the ordinary on line nowadays but I will let you know if I can't access any.

Today I received the Fibre Response which I'd ordered from Viovet. I'm pleased to say that the sample that Sarah sent me has worked a treat for Fluff. She is more or less still the same with regularity (mostly every other day) but her stools are so much healthier looking and bigger. It's a good job I heard about it on here as she has now completely refused the granules the vet prescribed.

If the Furball one is working with Barney then it's perhaps best to keep him on it for now. At least you know that he can move onto the Fibre Response if he needs to. It's good that he seems to like raw food. I definitely think it could be worth looking into. There's lots of websites that give guidelines and advice with how to go about it. Give him a tickle tummy from me (if you dare) xxxx
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Thanks Carol......yes, from what I have been reading, it's pretty much the same product.....so see how you get on and let me know if you want to try it and I will send you some, no problem.

My mom was diagnosed with lung cancer at the end of last week, which she said she was not surprised at....she used to smoke, but hasn't for over 20 years, but the damage was done, as she only has 1 lung, due to a terrible episode of TB, many years ago. She is very 'matter of fact' and accepts what is happening, but it has come as a huge shock to the family, and she has been comforting us, and telling us not to worry, that she is ok with it all........my poor Barney's fur has been soaked many times since this news....bless him, he just wraps his paws around my wrist and grabs my hand......stupid I know, but he has given me such comfort, in a strange sort of way.........anyway....sorry I am hijacking your post......glad to hear Fluffy doing well Carol, sounds good from now on......x
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Oh Julie. I am so terribly sorry. What a shock that is. How sad that your mom had given up smoking all those years ago and has still got this awful disease. Having just the one lung must have made her so more vulnerable though like you say. She sounds incredibly brave and very accepting of what is happening to her. You have to believe that she is ok with it and she is coping. That will help you get through this. She is more worried about you than she is about herself. What a wonderful mom she is!!

Barney will help you there's no doubt about that. Being able to cuddle him and cry into his fur will be a comfort. Even if he gives you his best bunnykicks and bites then he is still showing you his affection and how much he loves you. I really miss being able to pick up Harvey and cuddle and squeeze him. I really need him at the moment. That's why I always laugh when you describe Barney's biting and bunnykicks cos that's one of the things I really miss about Harvey. He would always lick my hand afterwards whilst keeping his little eye on me to watch for my reaction. So make the most of Barney. He will be very understanding. Sending massive hug to you and lots of cuddles and squeezes to Barney xxxx
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Thank you Carol....yes, he always looks into my eyes as he delivers his kicks, but then he licks my hand and is a gentle little soul again...

My Mom is very pragmatic and just accepts what has been dished out as such, she is a lovely person with a smashing sense of humour and loves playing lots of practical jokes....she has always been that way, my sister is beside herself, as she always described her as her best friend, as she lives very near, though I don't live nearby now, my Mom has been a friend to me, as well as a Mom too for many years, I will be going to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Birmingham on Monday with Mom and sister while they try one other avenue of help for her, the other consultant has so far given her a 25 per cent chance of survival with treatment.....believe it or not we are all going out for a meal on Saturday, my Birthday, believe it or not, which Mom said she can't wait for, as she is looking forward to a trifle, heaven knows how I will manage to not get upset !...........
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

You will be able to cope on Saturday. I know you will. Do it for your Mom. But don't worry if you get upset because she is the kind of person who will totally understand. Hope she enjoys her trifle.

You are so fortunate to have a mom who is a best friend too. Not many people have that!!

Will be thinking about you all on Monday xxxx
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Thank you Carol.........if it's ok with everyone on here....I will let you know about Mom....though it's not 'cat related' as such......even though Barney gives me such comfort with his funny, loving ways....... like now, he is sitting, like a little Buddha with his legs outstretched, on his favourite wicker chair, staring straight at me, snorting and snuffling away like an old man....and I have to smile.............xx
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Of course Julie. You must let us know how you get on with your Mom xx

I can just picture Barney sitting there looking at you. I wish I could meet him in person. He sounds like such a character. Keep getting comfort from him. He'll never tire of giving it to you. Lovely boy xx
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Dear Julie

I am so sorry your mum has received such awful news. My heart goes out to you all. Please let us know he things to. We are thinking of you. ((Hugs)) xx
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Thank you Sarah and Carol......I am dreading tomorrow and Monday.......will let you know how it goes, Barney sitting on my knee chewing my finger, (quite painfully, as I speak).......little wotsit.....xx