no sitter suitable

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
luvmycat

no sitter suitable

Post by luvmycat »

we were planning on going away for a few days and i posted an ad for someone to stay at my house to pet sit my Cat. I found that it was a dreadful idea as i had several replies to my ad and ALL were bad. one person wanted to know if she could bring her boyfriend over to stay with her. one person wanted to bring booze. one person asked if she could have friends over for a party.etc etc.. needless to say we decided that nobody was good enough to trust in our home especialy with our beloved Cat. we go away seperately all the time if its overnight anywhere because i wont leave my Cat by herself overnight and i wont take her to a pet care place away from her comfortable surroundings at her own home here. these sacrifices are easy for us to make because we love our Cat.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: no sitter suitable

Post by Crewella »

I know several forum members have used professional pet-sitters when they've gone away, and been very happy with the service. Might be worth a thought if you're ever stuck?
luvmycat

Post by luvmycat »

thanks, ive thought alot about it and im ok with us going away overnight alone. my partner goes away for sometimes 7 days but i choose to stay here
luvmycat

Post by luvmycat »

i just feel better if my Cat isnt alone overnight.
sarie
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by sarie »

I've been using a professional sitter service in my area and it's fantastic. The two ladies who run the service came over to meet me and my cats twice for a coffee before I left them for the first time and we had a good chat - they're both crazy cat ladies like myself and my cats warmed up to them right away.

I've since been away twice and on both occasions one of the ladies came in twice daily to tend to my boys. I came home to incredibly contented cats and a clean kitchen! Very happy :)

The key is to use a professional service, not just put up an advert asking for some randomer to come over. Personally, as much as I love my boys to bits, I'm not prepared to have no life just so they're not left alone from time to time so I'm very happy to have found a solution that works for both them and for me. They hate catteries and the catteries insist on annual vaccinations, which I don't support, so a sitter was my only real option :)
luvmycat

Post by luvmycat »

thanks Sarie, there isnt any good cat sitters whatsoever where i live
Scatty
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Scatty »

What about asking at the vets? Maybe one of the vet nurses would be willing, for a bit of extra cash or they might know someone reliable who could help?
luvmycat

Post by luvmycat »

thanks
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

Personally I have no problem leaving mine for one night with feeders set to open at meal times, and an extra couple of litter trays - even in the winter, when my only source of heating, a multi-fuel stove, goes out after 16 or so hours, because I leave a thick duvet on my bed folded over so they can creep inside

I know they are OK, and of course it costs nothing - I wouldn't do it for longer than one night though
luvmycat

Post by luvmycat »

thanks Kay.. i know she would be ok but i suppose its the love and worry thing going on and in case of fire etc she wouldnt have a way out.
Cookies mom
New Cat Chatter

Post by Cookies mom »

Is there anyone at your vets office that wouldn't mind taking her in for the duration? Would not hurt to ask.