Domino the stray

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Domino the stray

Post by MarkB »

I posted in the found section recently, but no joy finding Domino's owners. He has been advertised for 2 weeks now, so hopefully I will get a neutering voucher and he will go on the CP waiting list. He wore a paper collar for the first week, but he wasn't moving from outside the back door. A lovely boy, but he attacks me when I stop fussing him. My hands are covered in scratches and he even bit me tonight. If I stay and fuss him, he is really relaxed an affectionate. He is in the room that Jenny had this time last year.

He is a big, chunky boy 7 - 8kg

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn22 ... 7fa2e8.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by MarkB on Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Domino the stray

Post by Crewella »

Poor boy, there's obviously something in his past causing that behaviour. He's a lovely looking cat, a proper 'tux', and a clever boy to have found you! I hope you manage to find a good home for him. xx
luvmycat

Post by luvmycat »

I hope Domino finds Happiness
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Domino sounds a bit like 'our' stray Felix. I wonder if he ever had a home, yet he is not scared of people and happily sneaks into houses to pinch food or sleep on the stove overnight, (he's in for a suprise - we got rid of the old stove when we had the new kitchen - too expensive to run). But he seems to prefer to come and go as he likes. He will disappear for weeks, then turn up as if nothing had happened. There is always a bed for him, but he never stays long.

I wonder if Domino is the same sort of cat - left 'home' for some reason and uses us humans for what they can give him. I hope you can get him to settle down and be more chilled around you :) .
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

I received 2 emails today. One from the CP neutering voucher person asking me which vet I would like the voucher sent to. I said the vet next door, even if it means us paying the difference.

The other was from Welfare, saying he had gone on the waiting list to come in. It said he would go in an outdoor pen initially, no explanation given - if it is because they think he might be smelly for a while, I doubt he will be going to a fosterer soon enough for that to be an issue. I will book him in for neutering this week. I haven't really noticed a 'tom' smell. He hasn't sprayed and uses the tray every time. The onlt smell has been where he has had the runs a couple of times.
Simons Cats
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Simons Cats »

He's gorgeous
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Hope his op goes fine. Baxter wasn't too smelly before his op either, thankfully, though I could smell a difference when I did his litter tray.
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Post by Jacks »

He's a handsome boy! He looks a cross between Sarah's Pepsi and Mr Socks! His coat and colouring is more Pepsi (Mr Socks has a longer, shaggier coat) but the male stare is the same! I think in time he'll drop the bad behaviour - Socksie is getting better all the time although I dread the day I have to take him to the vet!! At the moment he's scootching his bottom again and it's not worms as he has regular treatment. I fear anal glands...

Glad you've got Domino's neutering booked; that alone may bring about a greater calmness.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

Thanks everyone. He is booked in for tomorrow morning! :?

I didn't realise I would get an appointment so soon.

I guess the sooner the better. I don't really have any concerns about the procedure itself. It is the withholding food that bothers me - and I am sure will bother him - the most. I got the usual terrible and outmoded advice about no food after 6pm. I pulled a face and she said well maybe a bit later - 7pm' (he will be fed up til midnight as I always do - more than enough time to empty a stomach.
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Walesgang »

I must admit with my Squeak and Mr G it was keeping them in the morning of the op was my main worry.

Good luck Domino.

Any chance of him joining your gang?
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

I feed my lot up to midnight before an op too. Hope everything goes well for him. xx
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

I've never understood that rule either, Mark - Trigger used to bring up bile 4 days a week around 6am and there was never a trace of food present, and that was when I was leaving food down when I went to bed
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

Alice was the same Kay. Laz often brings up bile. If there is anything in it, you can tell it is from dry food.

I gave him his last feed around 11.30pm. I had run out of his favourite co-op gourmet sal,on pouches so I didn;t think he would want it, but he scoffed the lot. I feel terrible, but the best thing I can do is leave him shut in the room until just before 9am when I take him next door.

He came in the main room twice today. Both times I was on the other sofa (not the one Laz & I use) both times he snuggled up on a cushion.

Val - not sure what we are going to do. I decided that OH can make the decision, It is going in Dom;s favou at the moment - but bearing in mind it is me that does everything cat related (apart from the finances :) )

Still undecided. OH is away on business and back tomorrow night. A call could come any day from CP so we need to decide. I haven't had a chance to see Kylie react with him again. When he forst arrived on the scene, he was making her stay outside longer and she actually seemed to be flirting with him - unusual as she normally attacks other cats.

We have to do what is right for the cats - including Domino (I don't like that name btw, I think he is a charlie :) )
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

I really hope Kylie takes to him. Having just had to give up Baxter, the foster I was tempted to keep, I know what a difficult decision it is either way. xx
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

I starve buster for his bloods, last feed at 10 and he can be sick with bits of food at 8.35! It's also the only time he brings up furball. Vet says they can bring up food from their small intestine.

Let's hope Kylie accept him
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

Well he is safely at the vets. The VN said she agreed to do it for the £35 the voucher covered (normally £50) so no excess for me to pay. If we do end up keeping him, I can always reimburse CP :)
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

Good luck to Dom for today Mark; and I do hope that Kylie does take to him and he can stay with you - he's a gorgeous boy ;-)
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Hope it all goes well and he's 'home' soon. xx
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

Thanks everyone :)

He must be such a good boy. I put his tray in the garden and had a fresh one ready to put in after cleaning. There is no tom smell at all. He had used the tray every tim - despite the fact that there must have been Laz smells around :)

Anyway, making the most of the time to have a good clean and find the cover from Alice's other Flectabed :) (Laz has one)
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Oh bless him, what a good boy. :)

I can feel how much you like him - come on, Kylie, please be a nice girl ...... your dad has a real soft spot for this boy! xx
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

He is back. Woozy, but OK :)

He really does smell like a Tom now. I noticed an odour before, but now it is a definite Tom smell. I wonder why?

He has a nice fresh tray. The previous one was old anyway so I bagged and binned the whole thing :)
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

perhaps he was in a section of the surgery reserved for entire toms, Mark, where they all sprayed each other - he might have been 'done' before you expected because today was de-nutting day :lol:
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

MarkB wrote:He is back. Woozy, but OK :)

He really does smell like a Tom now. I noticed an odour before, but now it is a definite Tom smell. I wonder why?

He has a nice fresh tray. The previous one was old anyway so I bagged and binned the whole thing :)
That isn't unusual, I did find an explanation but can't remember iit
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

He seems to be recovering fine :)

I know it was far from ideal introducing him to Kylie on the day, but we are against the clock if there is any way we are going to keep him. He was downstairs with Laz & me when Kylie came down. He was very very submissive with her (I sat on the floor between them) but evry time he made a move towards her, she growled. He laid on the floor with his head in my lap - which probably wound her up more.

This morning, he wanted to go outside. I decided that it couldn't do any harm as he only ever sits on the path near me. WRONG! - he saw some birds and took off up the path and over the fence. I was calling him. Tried to open the gate, but the lock was stuck (hadn't opened it for a year) one of the VNs came out and I confessed that he was out and I was told 2 days. She said not to worry it isn't critical and horses are put back straight away! :)

I WD40d the lock and he was under the vets' van. I called him and he came straight away. He is shut in his room and fast asleep now :)
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

It's typical, isn't it - the one day he does a runner is the one day you don't want him to! Glad you got him back safe, and he's obviously feeling OK! :D

The Kylie introduction doesn't sounds too bad ...... nice that he was happy to be submissive. :)

I found this about the tom cat smell:

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/218342/urin ... ter-neuter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

That's funny Helen - I just read the same thing a few minutes ago :)

OH is back from a business trip tonight so hopefully we can manage introductions better. We really need to make a decision.

If it is a yes, Catproofing is going to be a priority. I'm not comfortable having cats that roam.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

I should have known, Mark - I know we're both inveterate googlers! :D
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

:lol:
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

As you can probably see, he isn't settling and doesn't relax :lol:

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn22 ... 8fc054.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn22 ... fd002c.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

now that's a cat who knows a good home when he sees one

do you think Laz appreciates having a mate around?