Am I right to break up cat fights?

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Am I right to break up cat fights?

Post by MarkB »

A couple of nights ago Dom beat up the long haired black cat that comes to feed (sheis scared to go home since the owner got a dog apparently) I made the mistake of trying to pick him up and got badly scratched. Earlier tonight he was fighting with a little black and white cat. I threw water at them to break it up. Al while ago he had the long haired black cat cornered again. She was terrified. I threw water at him again and she got away.

I really don't know what to do for the best. I hope it is his hormones and that he will stop fighting over the next couple of weeks.

He id so soft around Laz and Kylie. Even the tortie outside whacks him round the head and her doesn't retaliate.

I am worried that the black cat will be to scared to come here for food. He is outside now on watch.

I think we may have to rethink having him here if he is going to attack every cat that comes in the garden. It isn't just a spat - he rips out clumps of fur.
Last edited by MarkB on Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AhmedUK
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Am I right to break up caat fights?

Post by AhmedUK »

I think you are right!
Lyn from Australia
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 9

Post by Lyn from Australia »

As you know Mark I way out of touch - has Dom only recently been neutered? As an adult cat (I'm assuming he's an adult) it may take weeks for his hormones to stabilise, but from what I've read this type of behaviour can also be a habit. I suppose it all depends on how long your can give him to see if he adjusts. It would be such a shame if you had to give him up, especially as he's done so well with the others. In the meantime, I would be breaking up any fights I could, but whether that's for the best or not, I really don't know. Finger's crossed double time that things settle down.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

is shutting him in overnight feasible, Mark, and then putting out food for your waifs and strays while he's grounded? or even shutting him in for part of the day - the others will soon learn to come at a set time, especially if you tap dishes or rattle biscuits
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

I do shut him in overnight, but we go outside to smoke. He always wants to go out when we do. He is outside with tortie girl now. She is safe as she bats him :)
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

It might be in some strange way that he thinks he is protecting his patch from intruders.

It can take a while for the hormones to settle down. Hopefully he will when they do, soon. In the meantime Kay's suggestion to feed your 'waifs and strays' at set times (with him inside) seems like a good idea.

Don't give up! :)
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Am I right to break up cat fights?

Post by Crewella »

I'd be doing the same, keeping him in at night to give the others a chance at the grub. I hope he settles down soon - these boys don't always seem to know what's good for them, do they! :roll: