CARDBOARD SCRATCHERS

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Lyn from Australia
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 9

CARDBOARD SCRATCHERS

Post by Lyn from Australia »

I have often thought that the scratchers made out of compressed corrugated cardboard seem to be a wonderful idea, but didn't feel inclined to pay the general asking price without the opportunity to test them out.

I was able to buy a small one (about 18 x 10") for only $5 about a month ago and the cats all seem to love it, with or without the addition of katnip. Often one or the other of them will have a sleep on it.

The trouble is cat puke. As we all know, cats love to puke ON things. There can be acres of tiles and the cat will puke on the one rug in the room. My cats have also puked on both sides of their cardboard scratcher. Yuk. Only lumps can be picked off, the rest sinks in!! It dries out eventually, but I bet the inventors didn't foresee this particular issue! :roll: :roll:
nanny pamy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: CARDBOARD SCRATCHERS

Post by nanny pamy »

Oh I just purchased one of these from amazon uk. Theo loves it and he curls up and goes asleep on it. I have the upright scratch posts but he doesn't use them much (he prefares my leather couches unfortunately) but he has had a good scratch on this. I looked at a few and I always read the reviews. Mine was only 9.99 with free post and the reviews for it were great. Some of the more expensive ones had real negative reviews so im glad I went for this one. Its called a The cat scratch sofa. As far as being sick, I wouldn't know about that. Theos never been sick up to now. unless its well hidden somewhere :o but im sure id know
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Lyn from Australia wrote:I have often thought that the scratchers made out of compressed corrugated cardboard seem to be a wonderful idea, but didn't feel inclined to pay the general asking price without the opportunity to test them out.
Mine are quite happy with a cardboard box!
Attachments
rsz_074_3.jpg
(181.87 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Oh just look at him (?)!!! Worn out with the effort!! :D
AhmedUK
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by AhmedUK »

There is just something about cats in boxes - always makes me smile!
sarie
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by sarie »

Hehe I only bought a cardboard scratcher once. The mess!!! I threw it away and got them other stuff to do instead :lol:
Lyn from Australia
VIP Cat Chatter!

Love the picture Bobby's girl - that is one contented cat! :D
Shelly and Dora
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Shelly and Dora »

Dora has a few of these dotted around the house and to be honest takes little interest unless I have catnipped them. She does have a very lovely Santa Sleigh though that comes out of the loft with the other Christmas decorations.... I'll try to find a picture!!

Shelly x
Shelly and Dora
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Shelly and Dora »

To the left of the photo..... X
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (73.4 KiB) Viewed 4564 times
Hazel
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Hazel »

Max loved these, much more than other scratchers, Jess sleeps on his (two), Mika just ignores them.

I think you have lots of cats so some must like them? :)

The other thing, as someone else has said is they are very messy, but they hoover up easily.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

LOL Shelley - I've also got that sleigh. I bought two last year and kept one back for this year because I think they're really cute. For during the year I just have the regular wave one from Zooplus. Yes they are a huge mess but fairly quick to sweep up and the cats love it; and it doesn't need the catnip

Lynn - thankfully none of mine have decided to puke onto it. Phew! ;)
Lyn from Australia
VIP Cat Chatter!

I thought this would be a common problem. Oh well, my cats are slobs :oops:
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Further to the cardboard boxes. As I type this, Purdy is in her little box - just her size and Gracie is taking a break from rearranging hers.. I'm wondering if I can recycle the cardboard chips as kitty litter?
rsz_012(1).jpg
Purdy and Willow
(209.8 KiB) Not downloaded yet
rsz_016.jpg
(182.72 KiB) Not downloaded yet
I can't wait for Christmas - all those boxes. :shock:

Heads-up Judy, there is one coming your way that's full of shredded paper packing. Georgia will love it. :lol: :lol:

Who needs expensive toys? Though I am thinking of asking Santa for a better vacuum cleaner....
Lyn from Australia
VIP Cat Chatter!

Just after I wrote last night I turned off the computer and turned around to find - you guessed it - puke on the cardboard scratcher. I didn't even hear the usual "hoik hoik hoik", it must have been one of those sneaky silent pukes. :roll:

Love your pics Bobby's girl. :D