introducing cats to new home

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
northernsoulgirl
New Cat Chatter

introducing cats to new home

Post by northernsoulgirl »

Hi, I am new to the forum but need some advice about my 2 cats who I have just brought back from Spain. Although I have introduced cats to new homes before and all has been well I thought I would ask for your opinions about how long to keep them indoors before allowing them outside to explore.
My husband let them out after a couple of days (they arrived last wednesday) Charlie the older cat was v. nervous and soon came back indoors. Ollie was much more adventurous and got involved with the local bully cat! he hid behind the shed and my husband brought him back in. A couple of evenings ago Ollie wandered out again in the dark - got involved with the same cat but just wouldn't come back to me. He climbed a roof and both cats howled and gave each other the evil eye it wasn't until my neighbour sprayed some water on them that they came down. Ollie eventually ran indoors. I realise that they will have to meet all the other cats on the block plus contend with local traffic in the cul de sac but I am wondering what sort of time scale is best - my neighbour seems to think it's around 3 weeks before they should be allowed out but my vet in Spain was talking more in the region of 5 days so not sure what to do now. Opinions please.
KittyWitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: introducing cats to new home

Post by KittyWitty »

If it was me I'd leave it as long as I could, would definitely be leaning more towards the 3 weeks and not the 5 days
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by greenkitty »

I would say 3-4 weeks before you let them out, they need to have a strong sense of where home is which they won't have after a few days.
northernsoulgirl
New Cat Chatter

Okay, thanks for the replies ladies...............
I was going to go home this afternoon and let them out but will do as you all say then.
Don't want them coming all this way and then losing them for lack of care......
Gill
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Post by Jacks »

I would agree to keep them in for 3-4 weeks - they need to build familiarity and confidence in their new home. The worst thing would be if one got scared and bolted...

It's also possible that once they've really settled in their new home and routine they might be better placed to deal with the local bully cat... otherwise it must be overwhelming.
northernsoulgirl
New Cat Chatter

Jacks wrote:I would agree to keep them in for 3-4 weeks - they need to build familiarity and confidence in their new home. The worst thing would be if one got scared and bolted...

It's also possible that once they've really settled in their new home and routine they might be better placed to deal with the local bully cat... otherwise it must be overwhelming.
Thank you - yes it must be stressful for them, the travelling overland and then arriving in a strange place - thanks for the help.
mell-annie
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by mell-annie »

Years ago, when we got a new cat or kitten we would butter it's paws with butter (margarine then ) and when the had cleaned it off they were let free. Always worked never lost one. Wouldn't do it now though, i uaually wait 2 weeks.