Chasing Bees and Wasps

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Hazel
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Chasing Bees and Wasps

Post by Hazel »

We're having a problem with bees and wasps getting in the cat run and then struggling to get out again.

Today I'm sure Jess got stung on the foot while he was biffing a wasp about. It didn't deter him though and later I had to chase them both into the house while I opened the run door to help a huge bumble bee that had got stuck. Mika was scaling up the wire mesh to get him.

Any ideas how I can stop this before one of them gets hurt?
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Re: Chasing Bees and Wasps

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Hi Hazel, can you put a fine mesh over the exterior as an anti bee 'wall'?
I understand the Spider-Man allusion now!
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

the most important thing, I think, is not to have anything inside the enclosed space which would attract bees and wasps - which means no food, no water, and no plants of any kind

if you leave a couple of dishes of sugared water near the outside that will attract them away from the enclosure
Hazel
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Hazel »

hmmm yes I've just read that post from him; I'll give him Spider-cat! :roll:

The mesh/wire is already quite fine, I don't know how the big bees are getting in really because they can't seem to get out again. I've had a look for any particularly big gaps but unless they're crawling up though the decking or under the gate I'm not sure. The wasps will fit but they can manage to fly out more easily.

There is nothing inside the run except a wooden climbing frame and two cats - if I put food & water out there I'd never see Jess again! I was going to put some flowers at the other side of the garden but now I don't know if this will attract bees & wasps into the general area or keep them happy and away from the run.

I'm quite surprised that getting stung didn't deter Jess?!?!
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Post by Jacks »

I have just read that FEVERFEW, which is an attractive daisy like plant, is good for cats (in fact can be used medicinally for cats) and puts off bees and wasps...

If this can be corroborated it would be an ideal choice for some pots in the enclosure!
Hazel
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Hazel »

Jacks wrote:I have just read that FEVERFEW, which is an attractive daisy like plant, is good for cats (in fact can be used medicinally for cats) and puts off bees and wasps...

If this can be corroborated it would be an ideal choice for some pots in the enclosure!
Ooo definitely going to look that one up, sounds perfect if its true! I can still put nice flowers elsewhere for the bees :)
Hazel
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Hazel »

Feverfew is good for repelling bees and wasps, but alas it's on the toxic to cats list :(
Whilst looking I have come across sage, dill and mint also referenced as maybe repelling insects and I can't see these on the toxic list so there is hope.....