Advice wanted for a new cat owner

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Charliebill
New Cat Chatter

Advice wanted for a new cat owner

Post by Charliebill »

Good evening,

Last Friday we rehomed a stray cat who had been handed into our vets approx 2 months earlier. They think he is between 1 and 2 and they have neutered him, he's our first cat and after just 6 days I can't believe how we have lived so long without a cat in our lives...he's such a love. But I have a couple of questions that an experienced owner may be able to help me with. He is currently in our dining room although the door to the kitchen is open all the time but he seems to show no interest in leaving the dining room, I think he is happy in there as he's letting me stroke him, he lays for his tummy rubbed, rubs his head on me and is purring. He's using his litter tray without accident, is eating and when I walk into the room comes out of his hiding place to say hello. So I'm kind of wondering if he will venture out on his own or should I do anything to encourage him and also which complete dry food do people think is best... Many thanks xx
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Advice wanted for a new cat owner

Post by Kay »

welcome to the happy world of cat lovers - this boy must be thrilled to have found a home with you

sounds as if you are doing all the right things - he will expand his territory as and when he feels ready, and I wouldn't rush it at all

good quality dry foods are basically any not sold in supermarkets - Royal Canin make a very big range, and James Wellbeloved is popular with most cats - look for ones whose main ingredient is protein rather than cereal based

you'll find both these in most pet shops, such as Pets at Home (who sometimes have sample bags) and on line - I'd look out for small bags to start with, to make sure you don't waste money buying a big bag of something he goes off after a few days
Charliebill
New Cat Chatter

Post by Charliebill »

Thank you very much, had a dog who sadly died a few years ago who we fed James Wellbeloved so will give that a go first. I can't wait for him to venture out to the lounge so we can snuggle on the sofa as he seems to be such a softie already. I love it when he grabs my hand with his paws but doesn't put his claws out, it feels very kind and loving. Plus I love it that we've rehomed him instead of buying a kitten, he's got another chance of happiness, he's black with a little white bib and is a good looking boy in my eyes xx
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by Walesgang »

Hello and welcome :D

Well done on giving this lad a home.

What is your boy's name? We would love to know more about him :D

Kay's advice is totally correct. It's a good sign that he already trusts you. Give him time to explore his new world when he is ready.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Hello and welcome to CC.

It sounds like you and your boy have something special already. He must trust you a lot to let you rub his tummy.

Only Bobby trusts me enough to rub his tummy. I'd be in for a whole heap of trouble if I tried that with the others!

I've recently started feeding mine with James Wellbeloved - it's going down very well! :D

I look forward to hearing more about your boy.
Charliebill
New Cat Chatter

Post by Charliebill »

cat.jpg
Charlie
(44.11 KiB) Not downloaded yet
cat.jpg
Charlie
(44.11 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Thank you for the lovely welcome, most kind.

I've never owned a cat before and have always really classed myself as a non cat person but after having Charlie for just a week I couldn't have been so wrong. After our dog very sadly died 2 years ago we knew that we couldn't have another as kids and work would make giving them the time they need impossible. We hadn't considered a cat at all until our vets had a photo of Charlie on their facebook page asking for a home for him and it was still there 2 weeks later so i popped along to have a look at him and when i set eyes on him it was meant to be. They said we could take him on a trail but there is no way he's going back now, he's staying...

When he is letting me rub his tummy he kind of holds my hand with his paws but doesn't get his claws out, I love that. I'll try and put a picture on xx
Last edited by Charliebill on Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by Walesgang »

What a handsome cat!

Cats are dab hands at the unpredictable! One second they seem to want something, then BANG!

You sort of get to know the signs! It's good that claws stay in. If a cat is seriously unhappy they will get away. It sounds like he has landed on his feet with you :D

You will grow to understand each other with time, and as mutual confidence and trust builds, you will develop together. Each cat is very different and there's no right or wrong.

Keep us posted :D :D
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

he looks super healthy, and I see he's been unwrapping his Christmas presents early

you have , by the way, a very caring vet - not many would hang on to a cat for several weeks while looking for a home
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Hello Charlie! What a handsome boy you are. :D
Lyn from Australia
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 9

Post by Lyn from Australia »

If you are going to give him treats (like Dreamies), maybe the sound of that the bag makes when you shake it will be enough to shake him loose from his safe room! He's a very handsome man. :D
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

He's gorgeous, and good on you for taking him on! :)

As has been said, I'm sure he'll gain confidence and expand his territory in his own good time.
Charliebill
New Cat Chatter

Post by Charliebill »

Thank you all for your lovely comments, I am totally in love with him, he is such a sweet boy. He's now exploring every room and seems happy and settled. He has been so well behaved we've not had anything that we could complain about. I guess we have been very lucky with him :-) xx
Fran_ki
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Fran_ki »

Awww he's just adorable !!
It's lovely that you adopted the wee soul and he sounds totally content in his new home with his very own tummy rubbing slave ! :D
As the others say he'll eventually wander out farther from the room when he chooses.
If you wanted you could lay a few dreamies well spaced in a little trail from the room to the lounge , ( they smell strong and may entice him ) who knows he may walk out farther but as the others say and we all know only too well , he'll do what he chooses WHEN he chooses ha ha :D
Xxx