Did the cat take a lick?

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
AhmedUK
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Did the cat take a lick?

Post by AhmedUK »

Does anyone ever have the situation where they left some food attended, and then wondered whether the cat took a lick?

For examples, I was just eating some peanuts. They were in a small bowl, I went to the restroom, and forgot that TC was in the living room. Now I have come back and I don't know whether he came and took a sniff and maybe a lick too?
I often forget to close the top of my bottle of water. Because I have sometimes seen him licking plastic bottles, if I see I left the top off and bottle unattended, I have to throw it all away.

Am I being paranoid or is this the right thing to do?

Thank you.
geckodiva
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: Did the cat take a lick?

Post by geckodiva »

One of my cats is a food licker. She loves buttered bread, not the actual bread just licking the butter off it. My cats are house cats so I am less concerned about what nasty bugs linger in their mouths. And yes I have continued to eat food that I know has been licked, that is if it has been just one quick lick. Anything more and I'm more cautious.
My cats lick my face but it makes me shudder and wretch the thought of a dog licking my face.
Lyn from Australia
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 9

Post by Lyn from Australia »

Your cat probably did take a lick of the nuts - especially if they were salted. I sometimes share my plate with a cat or two. Hell, I live with them, sleep with them, clean up after them - I figure they get just as many of my germs as I get of theirs. A human bite can cause just as much damage as a cat bite, and I suspect our mouths are just as grotty, considering some of the things people can get up to with their mouths (I pass no judgement, just that a cat's bum is probably no more germ-filled than the things human mouths get used on).

I still miss sharing my weetbix and milk with Ruby every morning.
Attachments
yCmj0Vzs.jpg
yCmj0Vzs.jpg (6.12 KiB) Viewed 2660 times
Hazel
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Hazel »

Lynn that reply has made me laugh!

Cats mouths and dogs mouths are full of nasty bugs, but unless you have a compromised immune system or they are licking an open wound you should be fine. I'd probably chuck stuff if they'd had a good go at it but a quick suspected lick I'd probably just wipe it or ignore it. I'd be more worried that they had eaten something that would do them harm!
I've had sloppy kisses off lots of dogs and although I don't really like it, it's done me no harm.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Purdy loves to groom herself on my OH's 5 o'clock shadow! she gets quite slobbery at times. :? He doesn't mind , but he has to wash afterwards or he breaks out in a rash of spots (he calls it mange :lol: )

As for the butter - oh don't get me started!

When my elderly mum washes up for me, I have to check the dishes after. A couple of times the cats have got their first and licked the plate 'clean'..... Mum doesn't always see that and thinks the plate is clean! Yeuch! :shock: :lol: :lol: Cats eh?
AhmedUK
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by AhmedUK »

Thanks all, well I guess I don't need to worry excessively and can just wipe things and eat!