multi cat household

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
lizzyh
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 5

multi cat household

Post by lizzyh »

Hi, we live in a multi cat household, 5 in total. All get on bar 1. She is an 8 yr old black cat, we have had her since she was approx 6 weeks old, she was found under a bush down a country lane, cold hungry and crying, she was also very poorly with cat flu. Up until recently she was going out and leading quite a comfy cat life. She tolerates all bur one of the other cats, Rambo our adoptive boy who had the collar wound. Anyway to cut a long story short Tigger no longer goes outside. She lives her life in the kitchen, she sleeps high on the cupboard top (ive put her bed up there) she jumps on the worktop and refuses to go on the floor. She does use a litter box in the utility room but that is as far as she will go. She can be really affectionate, however she can hiss and scratch! Not sure what I can do to encourage her off the worktops and go outside or join us in the lounge. I have tried Feliway plug ins and sprays but nothing. Can anyone offer any advise please? Thank you
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Re: multi cat household

Post by Walesgang »

Hi Lizzie

Did Tigger's behaviour change quite quickly - eg, do you think it relates to Rambo joining the household? Did she tolerate the other 3 before this?

How long ago did Rambo move in?

I assume they are all neutered?

You might need to take a step back with them. Make sure you have enough trays for them all - at least one each, to ensure that they can each access a tray. Tigger may feel intimidated by him. Cat bullying can be subtle, and even though she is the one hissing etc, he could be dominating her. For example, blocking access to food, trays and the cat flap. He could appear to be sitting innocently, but cats can outstare each other.

One of my girls is a bit on the periphery of the household. She spends most of her time upstairs. That's just the way it is.
Lyn from Australia
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 9

Re: multi cat household

Post by Lyn from Australia »

Is it possible she is just happier to be indoors in the cold weather? One of mine spent all her time bar litter box time living on my hot water heater or my stove, until I was able to give her outdoor time, at which point she wants out all the time. Your puss seems to be the opposite!