Help - how can we get rid of the litter box?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
henwood
New Cat Chatter

Help - how can we get rid of the litter box?

Post by henwood »

Hi all,

We have two lovely rescue moggies - mum and son - which we've had for about six months now. They have really come a long way and are now very trusting and have built a good bond with us.

Our dilemma is this: We would like to get rid of the litter box (mess, odour, hassle, small flat etc), but we don't allow our cats out at night because of the area we live in. We have a microchip cat flap with a curfew function which stops them going out between 7pm and 9am.

When I lived in the countryside our cats never had a litter box, but equally they were able to come and go as they pleased during the night. So my question is: will we be able to get rid of the litter box and not find nasty surprises in the morning or are we being unrealistic?

Any thoughts and advice on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks all!
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Help - how can we get rid of the litter box?

Post by Kay »

unrealistic, I think - imagine you were prevented from using the loo for 14 hours every night

if you remove the tray you are inviting accidents, and cats are naturally clean, so that would distress them as much as you

better to explore different types of litter box and litter - with the choice available these days there should be no nasty whiffs, and there are boxes made specifically to look aesthetically pleasing
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Totally agree with Kay........believe me, you will have far more mess in taking away the litter box ! plus it would be terribly unfair on them, as Kay said 'imagine if you had no loo for 14 hours every night ' :cry:

My fella goes out during the day when he pleases but I also leave a litter tray in the house for him, day and night, it should not be such a bad problem......
Lyn from Australia
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 9

Post by Lyn from Australia »

I agree with the others. Keep a litter box in the house for now. Years ago two of my girls had indoor litter boxes and a big outdoor litter box which I kept on my balcony, which they preferred as it had soil in it and not litter. They would hang on for ages in order to be able to use the soil rather than the litter. You might find your cats won't use the litter and be happy to wait, but still it's best to have it available - an upset tummy could be disastrous without a litter box handy - and bear in mind that like some of us old ladies, as they get older, they physically won't be able to hang on like they did when they were younger.
henwood
New Cat Chatter

Post by henwood »

Thanks everyone. This is pretty much what I expected. Think I was probably hoping for some kind of magical solution that doesn't exist - on with the dratted litter box it is then!
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Iagree with the others, I'm afraid, but a covered litter box makes much less mess, and you can get corner ones for tight spaces.

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_ ... ter/449566" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

All the better if you can get them to use the swing door, though mine hate it and I've had to take it off. It still keeps things a lot tidier, though.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

I agree, a covered tray is a good compromise. But taking it away without an alternative is asking for a messy floor every morning!!
henwood
New Cat Chatter

Post by henwood »

Thanks all. We already have a covered box with a flap, so I guess we're on the right track.

Next question, since you're all being so helpful! Any recommendations on what sort of litter is best for not getting tracked across the floor? Or tracking less...

We use the wood stuff at the moment which we prefer to the clumping stuff, but it does end up being walked out of the box...
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

I use the wood stuff as well, and don't like clumping either. I've never really found a non-clumping litter that doesn't track, but I do find that a litter mat helps. Mine is like the bottom Benita one, which will also catch near-miss pees as it has a rim (I've had several elderly cats).

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_ ... ccessoires" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not pushing Zooplus, by the way - just comes up first on Google search!
Fran_ki
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Fran_ki »

Before wee Kenzie passed I used the wood stuff and will probably use for new kitten too.
We were using catsan before that which is great but yu do tend to find the wee White stones all about the house and also I thought it maybe wasn't so comfortable 'under paw' for him :roll:
Our wee one always used litter tray during the night so would never take that option away if you're locking the cat flap :) xxx
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Lol - this a bit off-topic but - I used to CURSE cat litter until I ended up with 15 snakes who I kept on shredded aspen wood (snakes mustn't be in contact with ordinary woodshavings as these are usually coniferous and toxic to snakes.) There is a sort of dark bark stuff for reptiles too - but you just try seeing where the snake has 'been' - same with the aspen and the damn stuff just floats everywhere and gets everywhere - I had crunchy socks for years! Eventually I saw the light and now the snakes live on newspaper (supplied courtesy of my ex) and are much cleaner and more comfortable (and they have a lot of reading matter to amuse them lol.)

I have three cats, and a bathroom tray and a kitchen tray, both hooded. I use Sainsbury's ultra-clumping as I like to get rid of the wees asap to say nothing of the more serious stuff - I also keep a small dustpan and brush beside each tray to sweep up after a visit has been paid. The litter still tracks - but nothing like the snake bedding! It isn't that stinky, though I AM a joss-stick addict.

ps cats do appreciate living with snakes - a newly sloughed skin taken out of a vivarium is an exciting plaything lol.
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Hi.......my Barney HATES wood based litter, he is best on either Waitrose own brand clumping litter or Catsan, which hardly gave any odour at all, I don't get much tracking as such, maybe a little just next to the tray, but just put some newspapaer next to it.........x
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

We also use wood pellets and have newspaper under the trays. Tommy like to have a good old dig when he has finished and flirts it everywhere - it's like ball-bearings! But we all prefer wood to any other sort.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Lilith, many years ago I used to rescue reptiles (mostly snakes), and I ended up on newspaper as well! :)
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

My hubby goes Victorian bottle digging, where he can dig 8 feet down....he always says that he would love to take Barney, as he can dig for England in that tray ......... :lol:
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

having got used to finding bits of cat litter in my bed, I have been pleased with Nature's Calling, a rather strange litter made from the lining of walnut shells, and a very dark brown, but it is very fine, clumps well if you leave it a short while, and tracks the least of any litter I have used up to now - it's compostable though I burn it on the stove during the winter, and just dig it into the garden in summer
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Crewella wrote:Lilith, many years ago I used to rescue reptiles (mostly snakes), and I ended up on newspaper as well! :)
Ah they're great aren't they, but though they don't go every day, when they do it's, wow, Niagara! Someone ought to invent a clumping litter for snakes...at least cats don't go to sleep on your lap or up your sleeve and empty the old spare tank...ewww! I know someone whose python drenched the mattress lol (not!) :)
Willowgill
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Willowgill »

Having tried every conceivable litter available over the last 30 odd years with a variety of different cats I feel I've finally found the perfect solution for my two both here at home and also in ours small weekend apartment where they can't go out (it's on the 3rd floor :lol: ). At home it's now only Daphne who uses the trays having lost Max a couple of months ago (I have 5 dotted about the house and also in the apartment) as Alfie prefers the great outdoors but he has to use the tray when shut in so I definitely agree with the others that you can't really do without one overnight. I started using the Nature's Best litter which is biodegradable and can be flushed down the loo. It lasts for ages, doesn't smell and doesn't seem to track any more than any of the others. I gradually introduced them to it over a few months using it in a couple of the trays and the ordinary white stuff in the rest but since Max went I only use this one now and can highly recommend it.
sarie
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by sarie »

Most stuff has already been covered here but I thought I'd also mention that you can be inventive with your cat litter box, especially if you're in a flat and it's an eyesore. There are a few enclosures you can buy ready made (Zooplus sell one) or you can take some cheap IKEA or Argos furniture and DIY it!

A quick google image search to give you some inspiration :)

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=litte ... 8&bih=1134" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by sarie on Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Oh wow I LOVED the 'hobbit house'!

Or house of Bilbo Boggins lol? :D
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

I stumbled across this the other day, I really, really want the Eye of Sauron scratching post too! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2X3WnHOEkX8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sarie
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by sarie »

Oh my god Helen haha those are amazing!! :lol: :lol:
Fran_ki
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Fran_ki »

Wow ! How much work went into those. Amazing work :) xx
Fran_ki
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Fran_ki »

These are great wee litter houses Sari but do you know , I much prefer the one you made as it's not pitch black inside.
I know cats can see really well in dim light but I recently read that like ourselves they cannot see much at all in the pitch dark.
( not that I'm sure they want to see what theyve done in the litter tray, but yu get my drift ) lol :D
sarie
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by sarie »

I know just what you mean Fran_ki.. that's partly why I chose to do mine the way that I did :) I'm glad you prefer it! One of my cats has asthma too and as a result he can't use a covered tray or a tray that could have a build up of dust or ammonia so my setup means there's lots of ventilation for him :)

Apparently the totally boxed in litter tray designs have a "porta-loo" effect that isn't overly pleasant, even when cleaned regularly... I hate porta-loos so I wouldn't want to inflict that on my furbs! :)
Mollysmummy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollysmummy »

We use wood pellet litter too as we find it hides odours better. However our kitten Kevin's favourite game is flicking litter out of the box and chasing it around!! We're constantly picking it up in the kitchen, very annoying!

Ours both 'go' overnight though so I'd definitely keep the tray and hide it somehow!