Ginger tom taking over

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Nick70
New Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

Ginger tom taking over

Post by Nick70 »

Help I do not know what to do! We have a stray ginger tom who adopted us 6 years ago and we now have another cat that is nearly 2 years old. The ginger tom has recently started taking over all the sleeping places that the youngster was using in the house and has now taken over a 'hut' that is in the garden. There are 2 'huts' in the garden. The tom now uses both and the youngster will not use any. They do not fight and in the garden they do seem to play together. What can we do to stop this taking over of sleeping places as I fear the youngster will just take off one day soon.
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Re: Ginger tom taking over

Post by Jacks »

Hi Nick - it sounds like your Ginger boy is playing a little bit of a dominance game but I guess he can only sleep in one place at a time, and if his other needs are met well and the two play together I doubt your other cat will leave.

Are they both outdoor cats then? You say 'sleeping places in the house' but it sounds as if they don't actually live with you?

Is Ginger boy neutered? What sex is the two year old?
Lyn from Australia
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 9

Post by Lyn from Australia »

They can only use one bed each at a time - perhaps once Ginger tom has purloined a bed and is well settled, you could show the young bloke to another bed he might like, far away from older one. I think Ginger is making sure that the young one knows his place, and that the young one is giving him suitable deference. So long as they are getting on otherwise, I'd say that this behaviour is just them sorting out the hierarchy. I think and hope that there's no need to worry about the younger cat wandering off - he knows where the food comes from and he's simply just letting himself be put in his place. That's my opinion anyway and I hope it makes sense. Keep in touch.
Nick70
New Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Nick70 »

Hi there, I don't wish to sound stupid but I am not sure what defines a house cat!! Generally they both sleep in the kitchen at night but sometimes ginger tom decides to sleep in the conservatory. Originally the sleeping arrangements were that each had a chair in the kitchen but now Narla (the youngest) will not sleep on her chair as Ginger has been on and left his scent. Narla now use either of the other 2 kitchen chairs. The same for the conservatory, had a chair each but since Ginger has been on Narla's chair Narla will not use it. All of these chairs have cushions. During the day both cats are in and out virtually as they please. It is only in the last few weeks that the outdoor huts have been getting used as the weather has improved. Narla is a girl and both have been neutered. As we have had Narla from a kitten I think she knows Ginger is boss. Ginger has been with us for about 6 years and is approx 12 or 13 years old, where he came from we do not know but we are sure that he is the ginger cat that used to come and 'play' with our black Labrador who passed away 7 years ago at 13 years old.
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by greenkitty »

I wouldn't worry too much, as long as Narla has plenty of other places she can sleep she'll be fine. I have 4 cats who swap sleeping places all the time.
Hunnybunny
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Hunnybunny »

Sorry, can't see if you have said if Ginger is neutered or not?
Simons Cats
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Simons Cats »

greenkitty wrote:I wouldn't worry too much, as long as Narla has plenty of other places she can sleep she'll be fine. I have 4 cats who swap sleeping places all the time.
I agree. In my house Archie uses every bed, Ella doesn't but have plenty of other places to sleep. Archie is also known to move Ella off where she is sleeping just so he can sit there. Ella just moves on unfussed.