It's the not knowing....

Help & Support for those who have lost a beloved cat
Sue Goddard
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: It's the not knowing....

Post by Sue Goddard »

Animal Rescue UK called about 6:30pm yesterday regarding posters and leaflets....sadly the starting price for this service ( printing a couple of hundred leaflets and manning the phones 24/7 ) cost start at £220...
2 days before Christmas this isn't an option...May think about it in the New Year if Bailey not back.
Here's still hoping for a Christmas miracle.

Hope everyone has a good Christmas and we are all re united with our beloved pets.
S
xx
AhmedUK
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by AhmedUK »

I am sorry you're still having no luck, this must be really tough for you.
Sue Goddard wrote:Animal Rescue UK called about 6:30pm yesterday regarding posters and leaflets....sadly the starting price for this service ( printing a couple of hundred leaflets and manning the phones 24/7 ) cost start at £220...
That's WAY too expensive. Just looking at one of the online bulk printing companies, they do 2,500 leaflets for 44 pounds and 50 A3 posters (A3 is bigger than A4) for 44 pounds too - so that's 88 pounds in total. And let's face it, you don't need someone to man a phoneline for 24/7 - you can just put your mobile number on the leaflet (and if you're worried about nuisance calls, you could get a free pay as you go sim and give the number out for that). Maybe you could post the leaflets in nearby streets that you don't think he would know the way back from, I mean, I am sure he would find his way back from your street, so maybe you need to look at a map and guess which streets he might have gone to and doesn't know his way back from, and then you could post the leaflets in these streets.

Good luck, as I hope you have a good Christmas, although I realise it won't be that good without your cat :-(
nannymcfee
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by nannymcfee »

Sue, from missing cats i know that have returned, if they were in the locality, they normally return during the evening/night or come back early morning, perhaps because it is quieter,

Was bailey insured, ? as i think my daughter could get help/payment towards the cost of searching when her boy went missing through the insurance.

Have you found anybody yet to add his details on a facebook site or twitter yet?,

take care .
DaveD
New Cat Chatter

Post by DaveD »

I hope this post helps, and doesn't rub salt in the wound, but I've just had a cat returned to me after nearly 4 months.
Clio made a dash for the front door on September 7th. I live in a mid-terrace house. It's not an especially busy road, but I prefer to let the cats out at the back, away from any traffic. A closed door is an unbearable temptation to a cat, so if the opportunity arises to see beyond, they'll try and take it.
The trouble is, Clio was already quite old when I got her 7 years ago, and I think she got confused and couldn't find her way back. I tried all sorts of things to find her, including Facebook, but after a month or so, I feared the worst.In the end, it was the microchip, and the kindness of strangers, that got her back to me last Friday.
Sue Goddard
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Sue Goddard »

Wow, that must have been the best present ever....You are so lucky..so is Clio to back where she belongs.

I'm hoping something like that will be my outcome. Bailey was 13 but was such a wonderful character, never aggressive or hissy, he wouldn't hurt a fly ( never caught a bird or mouse in his life ) so gentle and affectionate.
I expect an older cat could become confused in a strange surrounding..I just hope someone will take him to a vet if he becomes unwell on ordinary cat food..(if someone is feeding him) That's why we are so worried. He has to have Hills feline z/d prescription diet as he has Inflamatory Bowel Disease after colon removal 20 months ago. ( He had "Mega colon" ) Surely someone will think a Siamese isn't your ordinary stray cat..?

Here's hoping for a Christmas miracle..!! for all of us.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Sue Goddard wrote:Here's hoping for a Christmas miracle..!!
Here's hoping too! :)
DaveD
New Cat Chatter

Post by DaveD »

Sue Goddard wrote:Wow, that must have been the best present ever....You are so lucky..so is Clio to back where she belongs.
Don't I know it!
I don't know where she was for most of the time, but the last couple of weeks she was less than half a mile away, taking shelter under a shop's air vent, and presumably scavenging for food (It was a pizza shop). I searched in all directions except towards the shopping centre, so that might be something to consider, if you haven't already. It seems such an obvious place to look, in hindsight, but although I investigated any cat I spotted that looked vaguely like Clio, I didn't expect her to go there, as it's the other side of a busy road.
Mrs Monkey
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Mrs Monkey »

So pleased to hear your cat has returned ... it gives us all hope.

My boy Sidney has been missing 7 weeks today and I have been praying all day that he will turn up either tonight or tomorrow. It truly is the only thing I really want for xmas ...

So glad you have your puss home safe and sound for xmas.

Will keep my fingers crossed that Sue and I get the same good fortune.
DaveD
New Cat Chatter

Post by DaveD »

I hope so too. I don't like to think of any cat out at this time of year with no warm home to go to.
On the other hand, and the point of my last post, cats are good at finding shelter and food, so there's always hope.(Easy for me to say, I know.)
Fran_ki
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Fran_ki »

I soooo pray for Bailey and Sidney to return to their homes soon .
It's such good news that Clio has been found and is back where she belongs.
Mums cat Tigger disappeared a good few years ago now, she let him out as normal and he went round to back garden as normal then that was the last she saw of him.
We think he wasn't well and went away to a peaceful spot to sleep. He was older tho , around 17.
It's such a worry when there's no news. It helps do much when a cats chipped tho ( tigger wasn't ) c. Nowadays most are and I think it's a good thing.
Willing with all my heart for these wee kitties to return home xxxx
Sue Goddard
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Sue Goddard »

Hello everyone.
I hope there was some good news over the holidays for you...
Sadly our Christmas and New Year were marred by the gaping Bailey shaped hole in our lives...
No news of him..Now the festivitives are over and O1/2 gone back to work I feel his loss again. I have cried and cried today for him.
Speaking to a neighbour at N.Year..Her cat was so scared by the ridiculous amount of fireworks set off during the fateful w/end in Nov. Seems they were so loud that everyone thought a plane had crashed nearby (we are a stones throw from Heathrow) some even came out of their houses to look. (why are they allowed to be so loud?? anyone know?) The cat went out at 5pm and didn't come back til 10:30pm scared stiff.Thankfully Sophie did come back. Maybe Bailey was also scared but ran until he didn't know where he was?? But why didn't he run homeif he was scared?
I can't get my head around the fact that we may never see him again..I try and remember the last time we saw him, which was rushing to go on holiday at 5:50am on 31st October 2014..we said "goodbye, be good" gave him a quick kiss and cuddle...and left him curled up on the sofa looking at us as if to say "I knew you were going away.!"... How I wish things were different but we can't turn back time unfortunately.
Because we have no body to bury I just can't imagine him dead. But if he were alive I'm convinced we'd have heard from a vet or someone by now. Siamese aren't usually seen as strays..!!
If there is such a thing called God out there...and if you are not a cruel God return him to us please safe and well so we can love him again for the rest of his life.

Thanks again for listening.
S
x
Sue Goddard
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Sue Goddard »

An update for our Bailey.....
Still nothing. I don't think he would have survived outside on these very cold nights..if he was ailing and undernourished..I suspect he would have died from exposure.
What horrible thought, him being all alone and wanting a kind and loving hand to hold him tight and kiss him when he died.
Could he be alive, living with someone who is keeping in against his will?
What if.......?????

S
x
Joanne_
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joanne_ »

Your story is very much like my friends. Her indoor cat Alexandra escaped out of a window her mother in law left open while they were on holiday. This was around November also. They have no idea where she is or what happened to her:( because she was a very scared cat as well it is doubtful she would approach anyone:(

She has the same feelings as you:( Not knowing if she is alive, scared, cold etc etc. Your mind really goes on overdrive:( hope you find out either way xxxx
Sue Goddard
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Sue Goddard »

Thanks Joanne_ for your story..every sad tale is so upsetting without closure..
I think we are coming to terms with the fact that Bailey probably died soon after his disappearance or we would have heard something by now as he was quite a distinctive Siamese ( not your average stray )...so will leaflet the roads again asking everyone to look again in their gardens, under hedges and shrubs for his body as we would like his remains back to bury in the garden next to his sister.
Not a pleasent request after all this time I know, but I have to try to get him back.
Thinking about him still makes us cry and my OH got very upset last night as he says he had a dream about Bailey...and when we were having dinner he could have sworn he heard the cat flap go and that distressed him more.
We have never had a cat with such a character and I don't think we will again..but they are all different and loving in their own ways. We have no children (out of choice ) so they are our offsring so to speak...
We have so much love to give that I have no doubt we will get another Seal Point Siamese (or 2..!!) at some stage from the Siamese Cat Club Welfare Trust but right now we are still grieving.
Being retired I miss him so much as the house is empty without him..He was never far away snoozing somewhere or sleeping on the bench in the garden during the Summer months.He did love the garden in Summer.! I think that's when we will really miss him.
I have made up a multi photo frame of his pictures ( we have one for all our past cats.) and it stands next to the one of his darling sister Abby..
I do hope for more happy endings for every lost cat including Alexandra...
I would love to think that Bailey will come back to us but think that is'nt going to happen now...
How very sad for him and us that we will never see him again. I so long to hold him in my arms and kiss him and tell him everything is OK now he's home.
Love
Sue G
x
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Like you Sue, I have no children (I was 40 when we married and had never wanted children). My OH has 4 grown children with families of their own. I do enjoy being 'Nanny Sue', but our kitties are my family. Like most families we have our ups and downs.

At the moment Gracie is chewing her way through another cardboard box - bits EVERYWHERE. She has fallen out with Purdy and they growl at each other for no apparent reason. And with the weather being so awful, they don't venture outside and I am having to clean the litter boxes at least twice a day (and that little job is all mine - thanks darling!)

But, you know, with all I have read this morning from you and Joanne, I am thanking God that my little clan is happy (apart from Grace), healthy and at home.

I hope you are able to find out what happened to Bailey and get some 'closure' on this sad tale and I am sure, when the time is right, there will be a Siamese cat (or 2) that will find a happy Forever Home with you and your OH.

((Hugs)) to you both.

Sue
Rosiepix2010
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Rosiepix2010 »

Hi Sue
I'm so sorry your little cat hasn't returned x I've had the same heartache since December 28th. My lovely boy Pixie went out that morning and I've not seen him since. We leafleted the area and I had a phone call to say he had been knocked over in the high road and the council had been called. I was told half an hour later his body was gone. He was chipped and I've had no confirmation this was him. Although I know in my heart it was him I still hope and pray it wasn't and that he will come charging through the cat flap miaowing loudly for his treats.
The house is so quiet with out him and I cry every night and today hasn't been a good day I cried at work. There is no closure which makes it harder to bear.
I hope that one day your Bailey comes home to you or you find out what has happened to him at least.
Love and hugs
Rosie
Xxxxx
Sue Goddard
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Sue Goddard »

Dear Rosiepix...
I'm so sorry you didn't manage to retrieve his body..
I contacted our local council and spoke to a nice lady in the department that deals with animal road fatalities, she took my description of Bailey and said that nothing like him had been bought
in (so far )..She also said they didn't have the facility to check for microchips.(!!!)..I couldn't believe that for the sake of a few hundred pounds (no idea how much these readers cost mind you...) they couldn't reunite the bodies with owners quickly and save them storing them in freezers etc. Seems ludicrous..
It makes me very sad that there are so many missing cats..

What is wrong with this world.......

Sue G
x

Kisses to Bobbys girl furry family...luv 'em
x
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Kisses passed on, thank you!
Sharonshaw1-
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Sharonshaw1- »

Hi sue
I know exactly what you are going through x
My little girl escaped Tuesday 20th jan , tried all the usual things but am afraid for her safety as she's just a kitten
God I've literally not stopped crying for a week , I feel like I'm going insane , it's a trully agonising feeling ,
You would just give the world to have them back
I just feel my world has stopped
God bless to you sue
Sharon xx
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Hello Sharon,

I'm sorry to hear about your little girl. I do hope you find her soon. Have you asked around or put up flyers yet?

Please keep in touch. Thinking of you.
Sue Goddard
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Sue Goddard »

It's now coming up for 13 weeks since Bailey disappeared...I'm about to do one last mail drop in the road asking neighbours to now look for his body..I hope we can find him and bury him in the garden where he belongs.

I have taken some of his unused experimental food tins to the local Pets At Home store as they have a local animal charity drop box..you can donate all sorts of things there. We tried a few food before we got z/d, like Hills w/d & i/d
I can't bring myself to take his Feline z/d or biscuits back to the vets yet ( they will refund the value I think..2kg biscuits were £24 and each tin £1.59 so he got quite expensive to feed..) Not that cost was a problem we loved him too much to worry about the money.

I wont take away the feeding station in the kitchen either...I still fill one bowl with fresh water ...just in caase he's thirsty when he comes thru the catflap.
I know I'm just deluding myself if I think he'll come home now..It still makes me cry to imagine where his is after all this time.
I miss him so much..my darling little boy.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

I'm praying that your last mail drop gives you an answer, however sad, to the mystery. Everything is crossed that you get some closure.

I know how you feel, if I see a black cat in our area, I still call out 'Lily', just in case.

Many ((Hugs)) to you.

Sue xx
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Wish there was something I could say to help, but I can only echo what Sue has said. (((hugs)))
Mrs Monkey
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Mrs Monkey »

My thoughts are with you as I know how you are feeling. We have still not heard anything about our boy Sidney who went missing on the 4th November last year. We are resigned to the fact now that he will either make his home way home when he can or we will at some point get a call to say to collect him as he has been identified by his microchip. I know there is a 3rd option that something awful has happened and we might never know but I prefer not to think about that option.

I hope that someone has taken Sidney in and he is warm and fed and being looked after and that he will either stay with that person if he is happy there or head home as soon as he can. I hope that similar has happened to Bailey and that by some miracle he is still ok.

Either way I think I am gradually coming to terms with the fact that I might never see him again ...... but I don't think I will ever get over the heartbreak of loosing him. The not knowing makes it all the harder to process and accept.

I do hope you get some news one way or another if only to get the closure so desperately needed.

Big Hugs

Mrs Monkey x
Topcat10
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Topcat10 »

Hello Sue, I should have gone to bed an hour ago but you're words that so much came from the heart and soul really had an impact on me. With cat lovers it really is a case of ( It takes one to know one.)
It's getting on to 12.45 pm now and I'm praying that your Bailey has rattled his at flap? If that was the case I'm sure that I would be almost as ecstatic as you. Miracles still happen!!!! As with the others who have contributed, I too lost a beautiful old girl who was an integral part of my life for 14 years. Like Bailey she was a harmless, loving and faithful wise old companion, and although she disappeared many years ago I'll never forget that bond. I still have regular dreams when she eventually comes home; (dreams can be cruel!) Many friends gave their condolences around that awful time, but were totally unaware of the hurt and pain I was suffering.
Keep your chin up Sue. Come home Bailey and mend so many hearts.
Also please come home.....Sidney. Pixie. Alexandra. and Sharon's Girl.
Genuine feelings from TC and his Dad.
Sue Goddard
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Sue Goddard »

Have had no response to my last leaflet drop in the road....the weather has been wet so suppose no one wants to go out into their gardens to look......

We had lovely couple call us about 3 weeks ago in response to my poster for Bailey in the local RSPCA Charity shop..they had seen a Siamese fitting Baileys description in a nearby schools playing field
( about 2 mile away over railway lines no less...)
After many visits Paul finally saw the beautiful cat today..but sadly not Bailey ( Seems he's a cat called Nero who lives near school and hunts in the fields..)

We now want to give this lovely couple (quite a young couple ) some reward for their kind endevours..but don't know what to give..don't think they have pets themselves..they even took a photo on their phone and came to show us..

We must come to terms with never seeing our little boy again but it still hurts like hell....

Miss him so much each and every day all times of the day too.

Love to all
SG
X