Help please for my deaf scaredy cat.

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Topcat10
Frequent Cat Chatter

Help please for my deaf scaredy cat.

Post by Topcat10 »

Again I seek your advice. 6 weeks ago I homed a lovely old deaf cat from the local shelter.
I live in a first floor flat with a large communal garden. The shelter said that TC would make a good "flat cat"..which he is. No problems with toileting ect-- he's the perfect flatmate.
I feel a little guilty however as his world consists of the lounge and the kitchen. He's not comfortable in the bedroom, hall ect. I've got a cat lead and have tried coaxing him down the stairs to outside but he'll walk down about 4 steps and then runs back in the flat for safety.I've also tried carrying him down the stairs but he tends to panic.
When I look out of my window and see the other residential cats playing and burning off energy, I feel so sorry for my lad. With him being deaf I would never leave him alone outside, but would love to see him as nature intended, having a run and maybe climb a tree or three.
He's such a loving lad, I just want to the best for him. Any advice would be most welcome.
TCs Dad.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Help please for my deaf scaredy cat.

Post by Kay »

I really wouldn't worry - my two have 24 hour access to a 20x30 foot enclosure, and one of them can actually climb in and out of it if he wants to, yet they choose to spend 23 hours a day in the sitting room where the stove is, sleeping their lives away - which is at least as much a part of a cat's natural life as hunting and playing

they will go out more when it is warmer, and they do love a bit of warm sunshine on their faces, so if your boy continues to prefer to stay inside, I would recommend you set up a resting place for him which catches some sun through a window - and a cat tree, if you don't have one, would satisfy any desire to climb

but if he is loved, and warm, and has a full belly, he would undoubtedly say he is quite content with his lot, if he could talk
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

It's been a big change for him, he'll gradually start to extend the range he feels comfortable in as he settles in. I'd leave him to do it in his own good time, for some timid cats a whole flat is too much to get used to all at once, and older cats sometimes find an upheaval harder to cope with. I wouldn't push him, he'll get there given a bit of time. Give him a fuss from me. :)
Topcat10
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Topcat10 »

Thanks for your advice and suggestions folks. Looking forward to warmer days for my lads inaugural walk outdoors. Will also invest in a climbing device. K.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

A cat tree or kittiy 'playstation' sounds a great idea. I would be very careful about taking him outside if he panics so close to home. If he wriggled free you would never catch him.

Fusses to your little boy. He is a lucky boy to have you to look out for him.