How can I best provide for my rescued deaf cat.

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Topcat10
Frequent Cat Chatter

How can I best provide for my rescued deaf cat.

Post by Topcat10 »

Hello again, I've had TC for 6 weeks now and he's a joy to be around. The only problem is that he tends to yowl very loudly, usually when he's having a (mad) half hour. So far this hasn't happened during the night, but even during the day I'm concerned that my neighbours may start to complain.
I've read that this is common with deaf cats, could anyone cornfirm this please. Also I would be extremely grateful if anyone could give me some tips on the do's and dont's "if there are any?"
If you have a deaf cat please share your experience.... (For the sake of a deserving lad who's been through some awful times.)
Thanks..TCs Dad.
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Re: How can I best provide for my rescued deaf cat.

Post by Walesgang »

I know this is not very helpful, but wanted to say well done on adopting TC!

I have a blind cat. Her needs are quite different, I have nothing useful to suggest other than, basically she is still a cat. She wants to do what cats so, and we let her, with some restrictions to keep her safe!

She has access to a secure garden which she loves.

Good luck and well done again :D
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

My old Minnie was going deaf in her old age, and she definitely did get louder. We didn't treat her any differently, but by then she was in her late teens having been with us her whole life, so she was pretty much settled into familiar routines.

Like Walesgang, I have had a blind cat, Alpha, but not a completely deaf one, but I think there would be similarities in the approach. We made sure never to sneak up on her or surprise her by making noise, if not vocally then by stamping a little or knocking - if he's looking away from you I imagine you could do much the same so he feels the vibrations through his paws.

Fusses to TC. :)
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by greenkitty »

I have a deaf youngster of 4 years old, he's been deaf since birth and whilst he doesn't howl as such his meows are pretty loud and the noises he makes are quite different to my hearing cats. He meows loudly when he needs to use the litter tray, when he has one of the others cornered and when he wants feeding, he also makes a trilling noise when he's pleased to see me or again when he wants feeding. I don't treat him any differently but do try not to startle him, I still talk to him too, just in case he can hear something :)