VIBES FOR BARNEY PLEASE - RETURN VET TRIP TONIGHT !

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

VIBES FOR BARNEY PLEASE - RETURN VET TRIP TONIGHT !

Post by JulieandBarney »

You may have all seen my previous post of "Midnight worried about Barney" ...my comments were that I had been up all night with Barney, while he ran from litter tray to litter tray, straining to pass a moton, when he did it came out as a tiny bit of diahorea and nothing more, this went on all night until 4 am this morning, when he was much brighter, eating and drinking and back to his self I blamed myself for maybe giving him too much Fibre Response .....I went to work after 1 hours sleep, then hubby home from work at 8am....he rang me at work to say that Barney was fine, eating and playful, just as I left him..........

I got home from work tonight and Barney came to greet me, though a little slower, he was purring, I picked him up for his fuss and he was happy...fast forward more than an hour later and from being happy, we are back to last nights situation, this time he can't even put his bottom down onto the floor and keeps dripping liquid from it, he became so miserable, I rang the vet who told me to get him there straight away.....I was thinking it was his usual constipation, when the lovely vet examined him quite strongly underneath and said he was happy that his bbowels were more or less empty...but his bladder was enlarged, whilst examining him, Barney weed a little onto the table, the vet immediately got a water tester which looked like a small stick of different colour and dipped in into his urine...he said straight away that he has cystitis, his protein was fine but there was another reading which wasn't.he found traces of blood in his urine too...I was in a daze at this point, dreading the news, he examined him again, poor boy was not happy at all, the vet felt his bladder and said ghe was concerned that it felt inflamed....I was dumb struck, I just presumed it was his bowel issue yet again....so the upshot is that the vet has given him an injection of Covenia and a AB injection which lasts 2 weeks...he has said that this should take effect within 24-48 hours if it is just a case of cystitis, but he was concerned at the inflamation, and if no better, he has to have a scan to test for anything more sinister....I am in shock, I never even considered this, the vet was a lovely older fella, who explained everything to us in great detail and showed us the results and what they meant...he wants to see Barney again Thursday night to see if this has worked, if not then its more test...my poor boy hates the vet visits and I feel awful taking him, but I know I must for his own benefit, any advice anyone please ?...I feel so lost...he keeps trying to go in his tray and elsewhere, but just manages a trickle, so we have to wait and see the next 24 hours.....strange as I always used to call Barney my little Mr Weeington, as he could wee for England...... :cry:
Last edited by JulieandBarney on Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Re: VIBES NOW FOR BARNEY PLEASE - JUST BACK FROM EMERGENCY V

Post by Walesgang »

Oh no Julie :(

Just as you thought you were over the worries with Barney.

Hope things settle down by Thursday and there is nothing more serious going on

Gentle fusses to your boy and a glass of wine for you and hubby

Xx
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Walesgang wrote:Oh no Julie :(

Just as you thought you were over the worries with Barney.

Hope things settle down by Thursday and there is nothing more serious going on

Gentle fusses to your boy and a glass of wine for you and hubby

Xx
I second that. You and your lad are really going through the mill. Keep in touch. Thinking about you. x
Hazel
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Hazel »

Oh no! Get well soon Barney. xxx
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Thanks Val...it was a different vet we saw and he was so good with us, he pulled no punches but it was what we needed, he didn't say "if he doesn't get better come back..." It was " I WANT to see him towards the end of the week...and I admire him for that so much more...he cared about Barneys welfare...he said the Inconvenia injection will make him want to drink more, so I have put his food down and doubled the water I usually put in, it was like a watery soup, he has lapped it all up...he keeps trying to stoop and wee but not a lot happening...I must give it time, I know, but I feel so worried for him, he's such a funny character normally, its such a shame....

I am going to get him a new carrying basket over the next 2 days, maybe a bigger one, with a different scent and some feliway spray, as I dread his reaction to returning to the vet Thursday....my poor boy......x
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Thanks Hazel and Bobbys girl.....

He is still a little restless, but I know the injection takes some time to take effect, so I will try and be patient...why is it that your mind alway imagines the worst at times like this ?...... :cry: .x
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Oh Julie - I can imagine - it must feel like that one came out of nowhere and you must be reeling! (((hugs)))

You're doing all the right things, it's horrible, but all you can do is watch him carefully. At least you got him to the vet, and thankfully it seems you're in safe hands. I've been through many, many sleepless nights with Daz and his bladder/cystitis problems - I really feel for you.

All paws here crossed for him, and a brotherly head bump from Daz. xx
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Thanks Crewella...

The vet mentioned that if the swelling in his bladder hadn't gone down, he would need a bladder scan, do you have any advice or information on what that entails I would be really grateful, would he need an overnight stay and sedated at all ? His next appointment is Thursday at 17:50, I am dreading it.... :cry: x
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

I'm guessing that's an ultrasound scan? Even the supremely laid-back Daz needed sedation for his scan. I'm desperately trying to remember correctly, but I think they put him out altogether with a GA - I guess it makes sense as they need them to be totally still. Daz had his scan when he went in for yet another blockage, so he was in overnight anyway because he needed a catheter - I doubt they would have kept him in if he'd just had the scan. Because cystitis is so often stress related, my vet always tries to get Daz home safely a.s.a.p.

Daz's scan revealed that he had no stones, just a very inflamed bladder wall and lots of crystal 'sand', which was then tested and found to be struvite. It was the turning point in Daz's treatment - after the scan we had a much clearer idea of what was going on, so it was very much worthwhile.

Of course, I very much hope that Barney is better by Thursday and won't need the scan, but if he does I'm sure he will be fine and it will have been well worth doing. I do remember Daz needed a slot booked for the scan the day after I took him in as an emergency, so I'm guessing they might not do it straightaway when you go in on Thursday, if they decide to go ahead.

I'm sorry this is all a bit hazy - I wish I could remember more clearly for you. How's Barney this morning?

(((hugs)))
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Hi Helen

Thank you so much for that, it really helps, yes, I think he said 'scan' or 'X-ray', I was a bit dazed at that point ! Barney had a more restful night, no dashing from tray to tray, then into the pot plant, he got up, ate his breakfast, had a drink, then went back to bed, he's not his usual bouncy self, and is a little bit lethargic, but maybe it's my imagination working overtime....he has not managed much wee, just a few trickles, though he doesn't seem to be squeezing his back end trying to force it the way he was doing last night, plus he can now settle his bottom on the floor, which he couldn't do yesterday, poor soul.

I have further panicked myself by googling 'Convenia injection' and have read horror stories about it's use and side effects, I really wish I hadn't looked now, as it's something else to worry about... :cry:
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

If he's not straining any more, then that's a good sign.

Daz has had Convenia shots before now and been fine, as have several of my gang. I did ask my vet about potential problems, and he said that some cats do react badly to antibiotics, and the concern with Convenia is that it's a full course of antibiotics given all at once. If you're giving ABs as pills twice daily then if they do react you can stop giving them, but with a Convenia shot then you don't have that option. This is only my opinion, but logically if Barney hasn't reacted by now, then I'm sure he'll be OK.

I know that worry is part of the love and care that we give them, but try not to worry too much. Barney has a loving and attentive mum and what sounds like a very good vet, both fighting his corner.

(((hugs)))
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Hi Julie, hope the lad's feeling a lot better today - I'm not well up on the modern meds but would just like to say, I've seen a good few cases of cystitis and that blood in the urine's very common, as it is in human cystitis. Antibiotics worked marvels. Of course it's more worrying in a male cat, because of his little errm water pistol but really hope the convenia does the trick without a scan being needed. Paws crossed! :)
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Thank you both,

I must admit, I tend to panic when it comes to Barney, being a slightly older fella when we adopted him too, I worry that bit more.

He hates the trips to the vet as well, he flattens himself to the table and his ears go flat, he looks so afraid, it tears at my heart. I always stroke him and try to console him, but he gets so stressed by it, which probably doesn't help the cystitis problem either, as stress can cause the problem !

I am really not looking forward to seeing that fear in his eyes again Thursday...... :cry: x
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

You probably can't face it right now, but if and when you do need some background info I found these websites really helpful when I was trying to understand Daz's cystitis and blockage issues.

http://www.catinfo.org/?link=urinarytracthealth" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_fe ... t_dis.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Thank you so much for that Helen

I have had a good read through, this is the reason, I never feed Barney on Dry food, he occasionally has about 3 or 4 tiny Royal Canin Fibre Response kibbles, (and they really are minute!) because of his constipation issues occasionally, but I always feed wet food and add lots of warm water, which he loves to lap up like a soup...and this is the strange thing, before yesterday, he used to wee for England, he could half fill his litter tray....it literally just happened within an hour or so that this changed, it was that sudden, this is what is puzzling me so much at the moment, I just cannot make head nor tail of it...??. ...Was Daz' problem a gradual issue or did it occur just as suddenly ? x
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by greenkitty »

I don't have anything to add other than I hope Barney is soon feeling more comfortable, Noodley has had it a couple of times and it's miserable to see them like that. All paws crossed x
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by lilynmitz »

Oh Julie, what a worry this has been for you. I've had several cats who've gone through cystitis/bladder infections, but convenia usually did the trick. It's awful watching them desperately strain, and it can quite often show as a little blood in the urine, so while it looks scary, it's not as awful as it sounds.

It sounds like the convenia is starting to work if Barney's not dashing about and trying to strain now. I always used to keep some cystaid in the house so that I could start treating Lily as soon as another flare up started, but they became increasingly rare, thankfully. Typical of Lily, she ended up with bladder stones at one stage (she never did anything by halves), so they had to operate to remove them, which went fine. UTI's are very common in cats, and while it's important that they are treated quickly, only very rarely do they end up as anything more sinister, so don't panic too much just yet.
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Thank you both so much for replying,

Bless you, you both have so much going on yourselves too at the moment, let alone think of my problems, thank heavens I have you all, I would be completely lost without your support, reasoning and comforting words, 'thank you' doesn't even convey half of it, believe me.....xx
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Just also noticed from the vet receipt, (I seem to remember the vet telling me before he gave the injection) that Barney was also given a steroid injection of Dexafort, I think that is the correct name, which is to encourage him to drink I think, it is meant to last for 48 hours....... :cry:
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

I'm guessing the steroid will also act as an anti-inflammatory?

Daz's cystitis seemed to come out of the blue too, one day he was peeing fine, then suddenly problems. It probably didn't feel like that to him, but that's how it seemed.
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Thanks Helen, yes, it was an anti inflamatory, he was ravenously hungry too when we got him home, even though he was really angry with me for the vets visit...he then slunk away after he had eaten and went to bed for half hour, out of my way....heaven help the return trip on Thursday with him ! I feel like an absolute cruel heathen when he looks up at me and I see how fearful he is.... :cry:
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: VIBES FOR BARNEY PLEASE - RETURN TRIP TO VET TONIGHT !!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Well, it's the return trip this evening, to decide whether Barney needs the bladder scan or not...he seems to be passing water very well now and the last 24 hours have seen a good improvement..

However, the decision will be in the hands of the vet, so I am feeling extremely anxious at the moment...it's been such an emotional roller coaster of a week for us all, I hope I don't add to it this evening.....please wish us well, our appointment is 5:50, should be home about 7:30.... :cry:
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: VIBES FOR BARNEY PLEASE - RETURN VET TRIP TONIGHT !

Post by lilynmitz »

If he's peeing well now, it's unlikely he'll put him through the scan, as it would suggest the treatment he's has so far has worked. Fingers crossed for your visit.
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Well, we are back !!

We had a nightmare getting Barney into his carrier, he really didnt want to go and cried all the way there, which is rare, as he hardly meows ....

Our lovely vet saw us straight away, we arrived 30 minutes early, just in case ! He was having a cup of coffee in reception, obviously taking a break, he just said " Go and get Barney, I drink too much coffee anyway..! Poor Barnes, ears went flat as soon as he was taken out and put on the table, he just flattened himself to the table again...we were asked how Barney was, how his toilet habits were etc,,,He checked his bowels, which he said were empty with nothing 'backing up' he then said that he would like to get a little urine sample, for which he massaged his bladder, Barney really did not like that at all !!!..I knelt by his head and comforted him....straight away he passed a load of water...the vet started laughing and said "Ok sweetheart, that's more than enough !!! He soaked the table and everywhere else.....Straight away he took the water test from him and showed us the results on the coloured card. He said that he was extremely pleased and showed us the results today, compared to the results from Monday....no blood in his water, the protein level was as it should be, his only concern was a slight problem with the white blood count, but he said that with all the other readings, he was not overly concerned, as he was markedly much better. I asked about Cystaid, he did say that it's one of those things that, because it's not a drug as such, there are no real clinical trials to test how effective it really was, he explained that it was pretty much like a human taking multi vitamins and thinking they help, which they probably do, but it was difficult to monitor the exact success...he did say that certainly it would do no harm in any case, , he has given us Cystaid Plus to give him. We then put Barney back in his carrier and he promptly sat down and curled his paws up, glad to be away from the vet !! He then chatted to us about the benefits of Glucosamine (probably spelt wrong !) and what other names it is called, also used for arthitis in dogs apparently.....I noticed 'Metacam in his cabinets and he also explained the human form of Metacam, I was suprised.

Braney had a little accident on the way home in his carrier, poor fella after all that squeezing of his bowels and bladder, I can understand ! So at the moment, Barney has had his dinner, which he wolfed down and is now resting on our bed upstairs, looking quite content in the warmth of his furry blanket.....my poor boy ......I feel so worn out too !!!!

Can I say, 'Thank you' to all of you for your support and concern, it has meant the world to me.....and Barney sends you. a slightly weak at the moment, furry headbutt to say thank you too.....sigh of relief for now...bless you all.........xxxx
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Aww glad to hear the good news, you must be so relieved! Congrats to you and the lad :D
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

What a relief, and some good news at last. Poor lad, I bet he is so glad to be home. 'Sorry about that mum, but he pressed me and I pee'd'.

Fusses to Barney and happy (hugs) to you.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Oh bless him - "well, you were wanting me to pee weren't you?"! :D

I'm so glad he's better and that the test results were good. What a relief!

You do have a lovely vet - it makes all the difference when you have a vet that's prepared to take the time to explain things properly, especially when it's done in such a caring manner.

I hope he quickly bounces back from his trip to the vets. His dinner and a good night's sleep will do him the world of good. And you!

Give him a fuss from me. xx
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by greenkitty »

That's great news, well done Barney x
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

that does all sound a lot more promising. How was he over the weekend?

fusses to your boy x
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Thank you all

Barney has had a good weekend, he has been playing in the garden with his 2 'friends' who are the neighbours very young cats, who come into our garden, Barney is not a fighting cat and seems to enjoy their company, they all go everywhere together !

On a different note, I was digging out his medical notes from Blue Cross vets, which I hadn't really read too deeply before, and the vet states his age to be at least 9 years old when we adopted him ! :o We were lead to believe he was 7...it wouldn't have mattered in any case, but it just seemed a little odd.....so he's a bit more of an old man than we thought :D It was also noted that he had matted fur, torn ears and dreadful gum disease and rotting teeth !! My poor fella was very much in the wars before we took him in.....

I am keeping a close eye on his toilet movements and just hope that this bout was a one off...xx