Outdoor litter tray

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
mell-annie
Frequent Cat Chatter

Outdoor litter tray

Post by mell-annie »

I am fed up with removing cta poo from my small garden. Also as my health has deteriated quite a bit i would like to get some paid help with my garden, but am embarrased to because of the cats.
Does anybody know of any decent outdoor cat loos that i could buy. Have seen one in Zooplu but am unsure of it. Any help would be appriceated.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Outdoor litter tray

Post by Kay »

one of my three much prefers using the enclosed patio rather than the indoor trays, and I have experimented over the years with different options

I have tried the outdoor tray you saw on Zooplus, and it is truly watertight, but difficult for big cats to get into, and it isn't easy to remove used litter or clumps when it's raining hard

what has worked best for me is a pit made by lifting a patio slab and digging over about a foot down - the first one kept getting waterlogged, but I have recently relocated it with good results - also to stop him scattering the soil everywhere I have placed a wooden raised bed surround over the pit and that has completely solved the problem

I still have to remove the poop and put in a bin, but otherwise I just fork over the soil - in a prolonged dry spell ( should we ever have one again) I have to pour a bucket of water over it to wash away the ammonia - but really it is much easier to deal with than litter trays - I just wish my other two would use it
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by greenkitty »

I've got one of these outside for one of mine who prefers to toilet outside, works really well for her:

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_ ... ter/137335" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mell-annie
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by mell-annie »

Thanks for that Kay, but as I am 77 and in poor health it wouldn't be practical for me to do all that. I have nobody to help either as my dh died recently. Sounds like a really good idea as well.
Greenkitty. (i think that was the name but can't see it now. Apologies if I have it wrong) That was the one I was thinking of, but Kay says it is small for a large cat and my girl is quite big.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

a cat which is used to toileting in the garden is, I suspect, unlikely to use a litter tray which has to be got into and out of

you could try a child's sandpit, sold by the likes of Argos and Amazon - this is one example http://www.amazon.co.uk/Little-Tikes-63 ... s=sand+pit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

playsand is cheap and these pits have drainage holes so would remain useable all year round - solid deposits are easily found and removed - and most cats can't resist sand, as many a builder has discovered - though of course it doesn't have to be sand, if the cat turns out to prefer soil - the only downside is that neighbouring cats might visit and leave their deposits too
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

should add that a plastic pit would have to have holes made in the bottom for drainage - there are wooden ones available too with a base which allows drainage and prevents weeds growing up, but they need to be assembled at home
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

I have two of the outdoor ones in that link.... and my cats whilst not overly large by no means are small; and they definitely use it. The only thing I did was raise the litter box up on bricks so make it a bit easier for the cats to get in and out of it.

But I definitely 100% recommend them; they are actually quite large
Lin1611
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Lin1611 »

I bought one of those outdoor trays last week and am waiting for it to arrive.

My Ernie uses a combination of an indoor tray and the garden but I'm trying to give him as many options as possible as he's recently had some wee-related problems so I thought I'd give this a go.

Ernie is a chunky cat weighing in at just over 6kg. I'll let you know how we get on once it arrives and we've got it installed :)