Short term foster

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Short term foster

Post by MarkB »

I was asked tonight if I would be able to look after this little girl for a week, as Nicola needs to bring her in as an emergency, but has to go away until the middle of next week. She was reported as a found cat. The finder then said she was going to keep her. A few days later, she called back saying that one of her family is allergic and the cat has to go quickly, otherwise she will be passed on (unspayed) to whoever wants her.
Attachments
foster.jpg
(85.31 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Short term foster

Post by Crewella »

Oh what a little sweetie - I love the ginger 'flash' on her head! :)

So ........ I'm assuming she's either with you or on her way? :D
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

Someone Nicola (Izzy's Rescue) knows is dropping her off to me on Thursday morning. I don't have a car at the moment. An old dear crashed into my car that was parked in the car park at the weekend. She hit it so hard that it moved sideways and into another parked car.

PS - I must not get attached to her!!! :) - Dennis has already said 'Another Alice' - she is nothing like Alice! :)
Attachments
car1.jpg
car1.jpg (62.09 KiB) Viewed 8162 times
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Blimey, the old not-so-dear really clocked it didn't she! :shock:

I hope you're mobile again soon. And good luck with that - I know all too well the struggle in not getting attached to fosters! :roll:
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Oh my!!! She is beautiful!

Any reason not to get attached? Kylie?? I know that's a hard one. I would have asked to take your little tortie in the attic if it wasn't that Pepz would be majorly annoyed.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Yeow, Mark! I hope you get that fixed soon. My OH was doing a favour for a friend yesterday - he went to collect some timber for him as the friend's van is much smaller. As they shut the van door, a piece of wood slipped and the corner caught the windscreen - result large crack top to bottom! Did the friend offer to pay, did he thump! :x

On the kitty front, she is a very pretty little girl. I think all you who foster are brilliant. I couldn't do it. We would be coming down with cats!

Good luck with her and I hope you get your transport sorted very soon. (OH just found out windscreen NOT included in policy, sheesh!)
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Not a good week for forum cars, I got hit by a small rock or something on the M25 yesterday and now have a big 'dink' in my windscreen. Frit the life out of me as well! :(

Do you know how old she is?
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Just caught up with this. Mark she is lovely!! What a sweet girl. Looking forward to hearing how she settles in on Thursday.

Hope everyone gets their cars sorted ok.
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by greenkitty »

Oh she looks dinky, loves her toes :)

Hope you manage to get your car sorted out soon, I had a close call yesterday when an old chap reversed straight out of a space at the supermarket without looking!!

And no she's nothing like Alice!!!
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

So, all ready for her to be dropped off at 9.30am :)

I have been decluttering and threw a tray out when Victoria went to CP - so had to run out and buy one this afternoon. Lukily the local general store had a 1/2 decent one. The ones the pets shop had are the silly ones they have in supermarkets.

Apparently she is about 7 months old. I was told that the finders have put a blue sparkly collar on her, but she has a bald patch on her neck. First job will be binning the collar!
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

All paws crossed that she arrives safely and settles in quickly. :)
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

She is safely upstairs. :)

Jen dropped her off about 1/2 hour ago. The first thing she said was that the people told her as they handed Ingrid (as I have named her :) ) over was that she has gained a lot of weight over the last 2 weeks and that they couldn't keep her as their toddler had been picking her up by the tail.

So, either she is pregnant, or regular feeding has made her gain weight.

She came with a few pouches of Felix kitten and an almost empty box of Whiskas kitten dry. Given her age, I would put her on adult food, but not sure. Is it only lactating cats that need kitten food, or all pregnant cats?

Maybe I should keep her on kitten food until we know. I will buy some decent dry for her. The vet sells Virbac dry and I will see what the local pet shop has.

I thought it was going to be a long haul as she was hiding under the bed and kept crying. Every time I walked around, she darted to the other side. After a few minutes I sat on the chair by the window and she hopped up onto the window ledge bed and was having a good look outside :)

Will get some photos later.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

She is back in hiding, under the bed. Squashed between an iMac box and the bed base :)
Attachments
ingrid.jpg
ingrid.jpg (10.44 KiB) Viewed 8065 times
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Oh Mark I think I've fallen for her already! She's beautiful :) Love her name!

I'm sure she will come out of her little shell soon. She's been through so much poor girl. Hope she's not pregnant but she's couldn't be in a better place to be looked after and cared for if she is. Looking forward to hearing how she progresses throughout the day.
nannymcfee
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by nannymcfee »

her tummy could look bloated too with not having much to eat then catching up with it, and if it contained cereal etc...Ingrid is a lovely name..it suits her.

I had a very feral cat in the 60's who was very similar tabby, called her paddy paws as she had such little feet too.
nannymcfee
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by nannymcfee »

Mark the collar on her looks like its been there a while, how long did the 'finder' say she had been with them....do we think 'porkies' were being told? looks more like an unwanted xmas present.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

Quite possible. Also the allergy thing sounds like another story. The 'finder' told Jen that the reason they couldn't keep her was because their toddler kept picking her up by the tail. Obviously some 'parents' are incapable of teaching children. I'm sure withheld sweets and a slap on the leg for repeat offences would soon have results!
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Lilith »

nannymcfee wrote:Mark the collar on her looks like its been there a while, how long did the 'finder' say she had been with them....do we think 'porkies' were being told? looks more like an unwanted xmas present.
My thoughts entirely! Also why are they so sure of her age and the fact she's unspayed? I know it takes months for fur to grow back after spaying but many cats are small for their age and can be taken for adolescent...to me that story just doesn't add up at all. I'd hazard a guess that they fear she IS pregnant and are offloading her...sorry to be so cynical btw.

As for that toddler, personally I'd have rehomed the brat and kept the cat!

(Apologies to any gentle and well-brought up toddlers who may be reading this.)

Good on yer Mark for helping her and hope the car, everybody's cars, get well soon :)
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

I thought the story was a bit suspect as well. Still, she's safe now - I hope she starts to relax soon.

She is lovely, and I like her name. xx
Baggypants
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Baggypants »

Awww, she's lovely - what beautiful intelligent eyes. I hope she remembers to be brave soon :)
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

It does all sound very fishy. Poor baby, still she is in the right place now.
Lilith wrote:As for that toddler, personally I'd have rehomed the brat and kept the cat!
:lol: OH says 'too true', he would do the same!
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

I remember going back nearly 10 years, the first cat I ever picked up for CP. A concerned neighbour had rescued a young cat from her neighbour's young children, after catching them dragging it along the ground by a piece of string tied to it's tail - there was a trail of blood :( - She asked them if it was their cat and was told that it used to be, but their mum threw it out as she was fed up having to take it out of the fridge!!! - amazingly, for such a badly abused cat, she was the most affectionate thing ever, despite having a bloody, broken tail. She had to have part of her tail amputated.

There was a happy ending, as Sally, who was the neutering offer, fell in love with Sunshine and adopted her as a companion to her young Siamese cat. Her existing cat took Sunshine under her wing and they were curling up together in no time :)

These were taken when she was being fostered by Caroline (my knees in top photo :) ). I can't find the ones of her curled up with Yindee at the moment.
Attachments
sunshine2.jpg
sunshine2.jpg (59.82 KiB) Viewed 8030 times
sunshine.jpg
sunshine.jpg (57.49 KiB) Viewed 8030 times
Last edited by MarkB on Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Bless her.

That makes me so angry - the kids are bad enough, but what kind of parent lets stuff like that go on???? :shock:
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Walesgang »

She is beautiful <3

I would have rehomed the brat and kept the cat too :D
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

When I lived in England, our next door neighbours had 5 children (all 'knew their rights'). The 2 boys were wild - footballs through windows etc. But even they knew better when it came to animals. They would have been horrified at the thought of how Sunshine was treated.

It begs the question - what did those other children grow into? :x

BTW she really is a sweetie.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

It is depressing to think that any old scum can breed. I was in a cafe in Canterbury some years back and there were 3 generations of a family in there. The 'mother' kept telling the toddler to 'tell nanny she is a c**t' :oops: - they were all in fits of laughter when the kid repeated it - including 'granny'

Anyway, back to Ingrid. I decided to leave her be overnight in her room. I took her breakfast up and she was back in her bolt-hole, but pleased to report that she had cleared the pouch I took up last night and eaten 1/2 the Babycat dry. Also she had used the tray (ones & twos :) ) - she must have been quite backed up as there was a lot of it! :)

I was toying with the idea of removing the box, but probably best to leave it if it is her safe place. It is quite a small attic bedroom so there aren't many places to hide (former maid's room)
Last edited by MarkB on Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Oh good girl - that's pretty good going. :)

I tend to leave the crate in with new arrivals for a few days, some use it and some avoid it like the plague!
MagnificentMogs
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 0

Post by MagnificentMogs »

Sounds like good progress even if it was a lot for you to clear up :)
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

She was purring and letting me fuss her this morning, but decided to go back under the bed. Hopefully she will come out for a proper fuss later :)

http://i.imgur.com/tsSrQsR.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(click on photo to enlarge)

She is a Dreamies hoover :D
Baggypants
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Baggypants »

She doesn't look that stressed does she ;-)