Re: Fred's Greebo ...... or Greebo's fred ...... RIP

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Fred's Greebo ...... or Greebo's fred ...... RIP

Post by Crewella »

A stray was handed in to the vets and needed a space, so I took Woody in to the bigger cattery so this one could have my outdoor pen. Woody is ready for homing and stands a better chance where he can be seen, and the new cat is a stinky tom cat that was upsetting the other residents in the bigger cattery. There are now mums with kittens coming in, and they were finding the smell of tom cat unsettling.

So poor old Fred has come to me, though they reckon he's actually only about 8. He nearly broke my heart when I saw him - he should be a big black furry lad, but he's skinny and scabby and was so badly matted that they've had to shave most of the fur off his back. His eyes are gummy and he's having chloramphenicol in them twice a day, and he's in desperate need of a dental as well as neutering, but needs a couple of weeks to fill out a bit before they'll operate. His teeth are all broken up at the front, and the vet reckoned he's been kicked in the face. He's also tested positive for FIV.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d154/ ... 040732.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The worst thing is just how he is, he's the saddest cat I've ever met. It's like he's just given up, If you go in to see him, he just sits and trembles, barely moves at all. I didn't even have to grab him to do his eye drops this morning ........ he pulled away a bit but just let me do it. He does respond very slightly if you stroke him though .... his head tips just a fraction towards you if you stroke his ears.

However, he's eaten everything I've given him, and he did eventually find his way into his little heated house last night. I left the big side door open until he found his way in, then locked him in there this morning. He did manage to find his own way out through the cat flap to go and sit in the sun today, so I'm hoping he manages to get back in through the flap again tonight as it gets colder. With all his fur missing, I'm worried about him getting cold.

I really hope he settles in OK and begins to realise he's somewhere safe. I hate to think what he's been through. :(
Last edited by Crewella on Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Alice
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: Fred, the saddest cat I've ever met

Post by Alice »

I think you've put a link to the wrong photo here, Helen - it's the photo of Woody again :roll:

I'm sure it'll be rewarding to see Fred improve with the TLC he's been so short of.
nannymcfee
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by nannymcfee »

Poor little Fred,....some humans are so cruel, they should be hung,

with the love you have to give, i am sure in no time, he will find trust and love again.

ps the link to the photograph is Woody again, sunbathing, do you have one of Fred?
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Oooops, thanks for telling me, I've amended the link, but here he is just in case:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d154/ ... 040732.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by Walesgang »

Oh my, what a sad little boy :cry:

Hope he starts to reap the love he will now get. Poor lad.

Fusses to him from my Mr G who was a bit similar in many ways x
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Poor Fred, He really drew the short straw. :( It's about time his luck changed and something tells me it just has. ;)

Looking forward to hearing of his progress. As soon as he will let you, give him a cuddle from me.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

he's a real project Helen, and no mistake - and I just know you're going to be the best thing that's happened to him perhaps in the whole of his life

and I know too that you're going to get an enormous satisfaction out of bringing him round the way you did Pugwash

his 'before' photo is indeed very sad, but I'm so looking forward to the 'after' one - and I bet I don't have to wait too long
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

Poor boy. He reminds me of Laz towards the end. In his case, he has time on his side. I know your TLC will help him realise that we aren't all bad. I guess it takes time.

I only posted the better photos of Laz, but this was from around October when Dom came on the scene.
Attachments
lazsad.jpg
lazsad.jpg (16.81 KiB) Viewed 10403 times
Last edited by MarkB on Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

I've just seen his photo, (I've got 'pooter gremlins and this thing is all over the place) he really is a poor, sad little boy. My heart goes out to him.

Work your magic Helen, I'm sending good vibes his way. (that's if they don't get lost on the internet!)

Sue x
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

You're right, I'm really hoping to see him turn around and get better.

He's actually not in as bad a physical shape as Pugwash was, but it's his demeanour that's so heartbreaking. As the vet said, Pugwash was really struggling and wouldn't have made it through last winter on his own, but you could still see the fight in him - you could see it in his eyes.

Still, Fred is eating well, which is a good sign, and he is at least cooperative and easy to treat, so I'm really hoping he'll get his mojo back. He's probably a much nicer cat, at heart, than my little pirate Puggy the Thuggy! :D
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Cross-posted.

He does look a bit like dear old Laz, Mark. I'm going to be taking note of your experience with Laz's coat and starting to cut out some of the mats when he's a bit more settled.

I shall be telling Fred about all the good vibes being sent his way, I hope he feels the benefit and appreciates them. I certainly do on his behalf. :)
nannymcfee
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by nannymcfee »

Is he called Fred as he is 'Thread Bare'

poor little Fred, you can tell just by his posture that he has been shunned and mistreated ....

have you an old teddy or something he can snuggle up to too?

I thought Luca was in a state when he appeared, wish i had taken a before photograph too, he is black too, first time i saw him teeth broken and missing ( Phoebes were too), his coat was really dull and thin, he had his ear clipped just been TNR, and was skinny as heck ....but 8 months later i think the horror weighs more than me, certainly eats more!

will look forward to updates, just as i do puggy pugwash :D
Last edited by nannymcfee on Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Poor Fred, I'm sure he will come round with love from you.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Morning Helen.

I've been thinking about Fred and your comparison with Pugwash and I'm a little worried about him (Fred). He looks SO down. :(

In my horse riding days I had friends with horses in adjoining stables. Katie's Conemara pony, Seamus, was bright, fiesty, very friendly and would whinny and trot over to see you. Sue's Thoroughbred, Billy, was morose, sulky and bad-tempered. Billy was always ill and often unfit for work.

On a trip over to England last year, I met Katie in a shop. We caught up on 20 years of stable gossip. She STILL has Seamus. He is now 36 and is just as bright as ever. Billy is long gone.

Pugwash has that fight, Fred needs to get it. He has the look of a very depressed animal. 'nanny's' idea of a cuddly teddy (Willow had her own 'blankie') is a good one.

Very best wishes coming your way. Fusses to Fred.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

Just a though Helen, has he had T4 tested? - The way Laz came to me was because Sharon said he wasn't doing well in the outdoor cattery. He seemed really depressed and was showing no interest in anything. She wondered if he might perk up in a home environment and would I give it a try for a couple of weeks. He had just started on thyroid meds at the time. Vidalta didn't agree with him and he had just switched to Felimazole. He seemed to perk up pretty quickly. I'm not sure how much was to do with him being indoors and pampered and how much was to do with getting his T4 right.
Last edited by MarkB on Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

He's lovely Crewella, bless him. What Mark's just said also happened with a fosterer I took on, well the bit about the home environment. He was in a pen and just sat there miserable all the time, he wasn't even interested in the fosterer when she went to the pen (he was black and white and actually described as 'having nothing going for him and would struggle to get a home'). They moved him to me and I was really glad, as it was ideal as I had no other cats and time to work with him, and in no time he came out of his shell, I took some great photos for the website, of him looking a different cat and he actually got a super home in a month too. I am sure though with time things will seem different for Fred, right now he's bound to wonder what's happening to him, but eating is a good sign. I'd love to give him a big cuddle, please pass one on from me xx
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

Aw Helen, my heart breaks for him. But with your love and tlc I'm sure it won't be long before he's in better shape and hopefully better spirits.

would you trust yourself to sit on a chair in the pen and put him on your lap and just gently stroke him - would he allow that? Just to feel a loving touch and somehow start learning that not all humans are nasty?

:( poor baby
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

'Fred Bare' :lol:

The lady who collected him named him, I think.

I did spend some time just sitting in his pen talking to him and stroking him yesterday. There is just the slightest movement from him towards you hand, I'm hoping he will react more with time. I've put a big feather cushion (rescued from the dump pile at work) in his little house for him to snuggle with.

He has a couple of weeks before he's due to go in for neutering and to get his teeth done, I'll see how he's progressed by then before we try any further tests, but I have noted the T4, thanks.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

He is actually a bit brighter today, he raised his head for me when I went i just now, and has obviously been busy spraying his pen.

Good grief he IS a stinky tom cat! I get the message, Fred - it's yours ...... you can keep it ..... I don't want it back ..... ever! :roll:
Cussypat1974
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Cussypat1974 »

Bless your heart crewella......

He does look depressed, and I would worry he has something physical going on. It could be just discomfort from the teeth and being kicked in the face never did anyone any good eh? Poor mite. He reminds me of my Jimi Hendrix cat years ago..... With his long black Mohican!

If anyone can turn him around you can. Hopefully all he needs is good grub, a good dental, and some TLC. Sending him all the positive vibes possible, so be sure to tell him the Irish cats are thinking of him!
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by greenkitty »

Oh goodness Helen, you certainly get all the tough ones. Poor chap, I hope he's just scared and soon realises you're a friend and not a foe. Good luck, keeping everything for Sad Fred x
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Oh Helen

I almost cried when I saw his picture ......that poor, poor boy, I dread thinking what has happened to him......but now he has you at his side......if anyone can tuirn him around, you truly can.....bless you for caring for him...xxx

Come on Fred, we are all routing for you....!!!! :P
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Helen, he may not have been spraying, his wee alone will be incredibly potent.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Heaven help us if that's the case and then he does start spraying!! Daz was pretty stinky, but Fred beats him paws down! :shock:

Julia, that's a very good point. I'd hate anyone considering fostering to think that most fostering cases are like the ones I get and be put off - most cases are far more straightforward. Firstly, the rescue I foster for makes a point of taking on injured, sick or elderly cats that some other rescues won't, and secondly, because I have only two spaces (one an outdoor pen) but a fair bit of time to give, they do tend to give me the strays, potential long-termers and scaredy cats. They also know that I like a challenge, but it has been very much my choice. :)

Fred's definitely perked up a bit, he was sitting on the scratching post platform earlier, head up and looking around. He huddled back down when I went in, but did raise his head again when I stroked him. I think he'll be OK, with time.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Crewella wrote:Good grief he IS a stinky tom cat! I get the message, Fred - it's yours ...... you can keep it ..... I don't want it back ..... ever! :roll:
:lol:

Small steps but progress all the same. :)
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

We had some pongs with Dom before he was neutered. Thankfully he wasn't a sprayer and the smell wasn't what I would call a tom smell, more of a yeasty type of smell - not nice :roll:
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

I guess each tom cat has his own particular 'eau de chat', I suppose that's kind of the point! :D

I was thinking what you said about fight, Sue. I know you're right, I've seen similar stories myself. I'm hoping that the fact that Fred is still eating shows he still has something 'in the tank'. He's been through a helluva week - he's been caught, shaved, spent some time at the vets, moved to a cattery and then moved to my place. It's hardly surprising that he's a bit overwhelmed by it all.
hgale
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by hgale »

Please give Fred a stroke from me and Denver, Helen. I'm sure he'll be recovering well under your care! If I could send you a clothes peg for your nose, I would!
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Helen, if it's the smell of his wee rather than spraying (you'd find patches if he was spraying) then there are a couple of litters that can help mask the smell, certain clay clumping, and anti bacterial. I'd be very surprised if he was spraying but it would show he was interested in his surroundings
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

I have found a single patch on the door of his little house - his way of naming it 'Dunroamin', I guess. As you say, at least it shows he's interested. He's also peed (and pooed) in several places other than the litter tray, though he has used it. I'm trying it without the lid to see if that helps.

He shuffled a little bit along the top of his roof this morning to get away from me when I was trying to do his eye drops. Weird that it should feel like progress, but it felt like a more normal reaction.

All strokes gently passed on, he closed his eyes and lifted his head so I could do under his chin.