HEARTACHE LIKE NEVER BEFORE

Help & Support for those who have lost a beloved cat
mongoose
Returning Cat Chatter

HEARTACHE LIKE NEVER BEFORE

Post by mongoose »

Hi Everyone.

Its been a while since I've been on here after losing my 12 year old cat Boo back in 2011, she was killed on the road which was devastating and we then had to say goodbye to our gorgeous Barney who was almost 11 back in Feb 2013 after a 6 month illness, I almost had a nervous breakdown it was that stressful as he suffered with seizures from liver disease. My story this time starts back in May last year when a stray entire ginger and white male turned up, he was so nervous of humans you just could not get close to him at all, I took his picture and tried to find an owner on FB, animal search uk, vets, shops etc but to no avail so I started to feed him and he started to hang around a bit more, we made a bed in our garden and he slowly started to get used to us. I knew I would have to trap him at some point to get him neutered as he had started to spray and got into a couple of fights where he came off worse as he was such a small cat and very timid. I caught him after about two weeks of feeding him in the trap and got him neutered, wormed etc and he settled down very quickly, we called him Rocky. He then started to come in the house and to eat in the kitchen but if you tried to touch him, no chance, he would bolt. I knew he had never been in a house because everything was knew and he was very young, only about a year old. I sat in our cabin in the garden with the door open for hours at night in the winter so try and get him used to me as I wanted him to come in and join the gang but you could never shut the door as he was so scared of not being able to escape, many nights we got quite cold in our house when he eventually decided he would quite like to sit in the doorway. My big breakthrough came about 3 months ago when I managed to stroke him and we really started to bond, he came in much more, started laying in front of the fire and we were finally able to close the door and he felt safe. In the last month he had started to sit on the chair with me and I could stroke him all the time, he was a very special gentle cat who loved life and loved to play, so bouncy and full of energy. He loved my cat Poppy who is 13 and she slowly accepted him and they even started to lay on the chair together. Tragically on Weds night he was killed on the road and I am bereft. I have been through the rollercoaster of grief twice now but this time I feel lost and empty. I feel like he was taken from me way too early as we had really started to get close. He really trusted me and I loved him to bits. I can't believe the impact that gorgeous little cat had on me in such a short space of time and I cannot seem to get my head round the fact that I will never see him again, my heart aches constantly and I am very tearful. When we brought him into the garden that dreadful night we laid him on the grass and as we were saying goodbye a white feather appeared beside him and my OH who doesn't believe in the white feather message said as he stroked him his hand got very hot and it stayed hot for a while, I wondered whether it could of been his soul leaving his body, I wonder if he waited for us to be around him in the garden he loved before he went to the bridge. Why do these terrible things happen, I just don't understand it and I am heartbroken.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: HEARTACHE LIKE NEVER BEFORE

Post by bobbys girl »

I'm so sorry to hear about Rocky, how tragic, just when he had settled in with you. It is never easy to lose a friend, but to lose them so suddenly is awful.

At least it was quick. My OH looked after a stray that lived in a garage that belonged to a friend. He called him Sparky. The garage is on a busy road, and one day the inevitable happened. But my OH didn't find him for days. He wasn't killed outright but badly injured. It seems Sparky waited to be found and died in Dave's arms.

As for the feather, I'm with Shakespeare on that - 'There are more things in heaven and earth, (Horatio) than are dreamt of in your philosopy.' There is an awful lot going on that we don't see.

Rocky is at the Bridge now with both Boo and Barney, playing happily. Love doesn't die.

(Hugs) to you. x
hgale
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by hgale »

I'm really sorry to hear about poor Rocky, I know its no comfort to you, but at least you gave him all the love you could - I'm sure Boo and Barney are making friends with him right now.

{Hugs}. Take care and I hope Poppy will be ok.
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by Walesgang »

What a terribly sad story :cry:

Rocky was a free spirit, and you gave him love. He wouldn't have wanted to have been confined in any way, and unfortunately, roads are a hazard to many cats. I am sure that he would have wanted a short, but free, loved and happy life than a long, miserable one.

You took him in and gave him a wonderful life.

RIP Rocky. Play free and happy at the Bridge xx
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by Walesgang »

By the way, when we lost our girl Luna, we also found a feather.....xx
mongoose
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by mongoose »

Thank you for all your kind words, it does help talking about him. Thankfully I took quite a lot of photos and footage of him to look back and remember what a treasure he was. I miss him more than I can express, he really was one in a million and the bond we had will never be broken not even by death. Quite a few of my neighbours cats have been acting weird in the garden, one of them kept sniffing where we we laid Rocky in the garden for a while whilst saying goodbye that terrible night and ran like a cat was playfully chasing him, I like to think it's the Rockster, my nickname for him, still with us in spirit. I hope one day he finds his way back to me.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I'm so sorry for your loss, it's a dreadful shock to lose them so suddenly like that. You were obviously the best thing that happened to him in his short life, he was lucky to have found you. (((hugs)))
honeychild
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by honeychild »

I am so sorry.. we loose all of them to soon, rocky found you because you had a empty space, full of love, respect and kindness. I dont know how long it will take but another will find you... 6 of my cats have found me in this way and when there is a space another will come along. I was rather hoping no more would as the pain of losing these precious creatures is terrible, but 18 months after loosing my fugly the fiv another white and black stray is trying to outwit the fox for food in my garden. My thoughts are with you
Grace56
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Grace56 »

Dear Mongoose, I am so very sorry for your loss. It is the most awful, empty feeling when we lose a much loved pet. I know exactly how you feel right now. Nothing anyone can say can ease the heartache.
My thoughts are with you and yours at this very sad time. xx