Switching from kitten to adult food

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Switching from kitten to adult food

Post by MarkB »

I can understand a different diet might be better for small kittens, but not sure how much of it is a marketing gimmick. Ingrid is 7 - 8 months old and she arrived with kitten food. I bought more, but have decided to switch her over to adult food over the next few weeks. She has already tried (and liked :) ) Gourmet Gold, and a few others. I just gave her a pouch of Felix 'supermeat', which she is really going for.

Any thoughts. ideas?

PS - She arrived with Whiskas dry, which I tipped into the bowl I put out for the birds. She isn't too particular and has had RC Sensitive (after her spay) Purina One sensitive, and Sanabelle Sensitive. Trying to decide which food might be best for her. As she isn't a fussy eater (yet) I would rather get her eating some decent food. maybe cereal-free. I won't be feeding Hill's as I am sure it makes cats fat.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Switching from kitten to adult food

Post by Crewella »

I don't have much experience with kittens, but my gut feeling is that at Ingrid's age adult food is fine. I'd be doing the same as you and slowly moving her on to 'better' foods, and I personally like to give my gang quite a varied diet. I buy the Purina sensitive and all of mine like it.

Poor Mark, it must feel quite strange for you to have a cat in the house that eats everything and has no special dietary requirements!! :lol:
KittyWitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by KittyWitty »

Any age past 6 months is fine to change to adult food :)
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

It is strange Helen. I am purposely giving her a mix of things so she doesn't get set in her ways. Hopefully one flavour out of a particular box is some way off yet! :)

Funny, but I was chatting with Sarah a while back and was saying that it was unlikely I would ever have a young cat with so many older ones needing homes. Also, that the chances of choosing a cat were remote as we seem to end up with whichever ones come our way. I said that given the choice, I would want a tabby or a ginger.

Last night, it occurred to me that I now have a young cat, who is a mix of tabby and ginger :D
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

They say that if you want to make God laugh .... tell him your plans! :lol:

I think that this one was 'meant to be'. :)