Retired. Interestedin fostering but on state pension

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
Helenm
New Cat Chatter

Retired. Interestedin fostering but on state pension

Post by Helenm »

Hi
My mum lives alone and would really benefit from company of cat. Always had one when we were younger, however now with only state pension has never felt she could afford own pet due to vet bills but would be perfect to offer long term foster home. Ive seen some charities support with vet bills and food if able to find right homes. Mum has good size garden. Woodlands on doorstep and spare rooms with no other pets
Could this work, if so which charities can offer the financial support to make it possible for her and the cat to have a good companion?
Thanks
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Retired. Interestedin fostering but on state pension

Post by Lilith »

Hi, I'm assuming your mother knows about pension credit?

https://www.gov.uk/pension-credit-calculator" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If someone is on state pension and has less than £10,000 savings, they are entitled to this. Sorry by the way if this is really obvious - but so many people are entitled to payments that the DWP just doesn't tell them about. The Citizens' Advice Bureau is another good source of information.

Also the PDSA provide veterinary aid for people on low incomes - but depends if there's a branch within easy reach. The CPL subsidise spaying or neutering of cats in similar circumstances.

I'm not au fait with how much aid cat rescue societies can give to people who foster for them, but hoping this info might be of use to your mother and that she will have the company of a cat, whether foster or permanent :)
Mrs Kane
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mrs Kane »

A rescue cat would probably be the best solution with this, as the centres tend to vacinate and neuter them before rehoming. Have you considered taking out pet insurance for the cat to be to help your mum pay the bills? I've heard many companies are very happy to split bills down the middle, or even more than that if you wanted to pay 70% for her for example.

It is an annoying situation as your mum would probably benefit more from a elderly cuddly cat, rather than a young kitten who wants to play all the time. And of course older cats do need more medical attention more often than not.

I did wonder if those under state pension qualified for extra money by owning a rescue animal. After a google search I can conclude the answer is no, though they are looking into pet benefits classed in group elderly and disable homes. (this doesn't help I know, but every time the goverment comes up with a good idea I'm jumping behind it)

The best I can suggest is to go to your local RSPCA and explain your issue. Your mum would love a cat but is worried she wouldn't be able to cover the vets bills if it falls ill. I'm sure they'll give some very good advice on the subject, as I doubt this is the first time they've been down this route. They might even praise you for being for forward thinking, instead of just buying a cat and presenting it to your mum without further thought to its well-being.

I wish you luck in sorting things out.

Love MK
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I foster for a small independent rescue and I have two permanent foster cats living with me as well as the temporary ones that pass through. They are both older cats with ongoing medical issues and not easily homeable and the recue covers all medical bills, though I provide food and litter. Some of the cats they have in long term/permanent foster homes have medical issues and some are just oldies. As long as your mum is happy to be homechecked and provide for their day-to-day needs, and is able to take them to the inevitable vet appointments (the rescue will probably stipulate which vet as they will have an account there) then it could work well for your mum, the rescue and the cat.

I don't know what area you're in, and you might have to ring round a few local rescues to find one that works in that way, but it's definitely worth a try. Good luck!
johntruscott
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by johntruscott »

Hello

I'm trying to rehome my very handsome 3-year-old male black cat, Jordi. I adopted him when he turned up starving on my doorstep in Fulham a year and a half ago. I'm a pensioner, I spend half my time renovating a little cottage in Normandy, one month there, one in London. This has proved to be a problem for Jordi, as he loves the freedom of the French countryside so much that he has trouble readjusting to life on a London street, without fields or forest, and with numerous other, more aggressive cats, large dogs not on leads, and so much more traffic. His personality changes when he gets back to Fulham, he becomes stressed, anxious and irritable, has a hunted look on his face, refuses to use the cat flap, turns up his nose at his food, and generally seems to hate me. This is such a contrast to his gentle, co-operative, affectionate and playful character in France that I'm hardly able to bear it, but I refuse to consign him to a cage in a rescue centre as I've seen how happy he can be just to belong to someone.
Jordi's a very strong, fit and beautiful cat and has had no health problems. His only visit to the vet was for the rabies inoculation necessary for foreign travel. I have managed to feed him o.k, though living on just the state pension.
As your mother has a big garden adjacent to woodland, Jordi would probably feel very much at home.
I can deliver him anywhere,

John
Hazel
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Hazel »

If you are still looking at options contact The Cinnamon Trust. They rehome pets whose owners have died or are too ill to look after them and I think it's more of a permanent foster situation so the vets bills get paid for (but not food), usually people leave the trust money in their will for the ongoing care of their animals. As these pets may be old themselves or typically used to living with elderly people, they could be the perfect match.