Re: Fred's Greebo ...... or Greebo's fred ...... RIP

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Fred, the saddest cat I've ever met

Post by Crewella »

Thankfully, he seems not to have sprayed in the last couple of days. Maybe he's feeling more secure.

He's certainly relaxed more and had a good old go at the scratching post in front of me last night, then rolled onto his side for a fuss. I'm starting to have a go at that coat to try and get rid of some of the clumps that the vets didn't get - none of my brushes seemed to be doing much good so I've ended up using a soft plastic comb and a small pair of blunt-ended scissors. I'll have a go at brushing the scurf out when I've got rid of more of the dreadlocks - it really is in a horrible state. Thankfully he seems quite amenable, but I'm taking it slowly, a little at a time.

I think his eyes are looking a bit better and less sore, I'll be glad to stop putting the chloramphenicol in. It's not easy getting the ointment directly in his eyes, and he ends up with little wormy loops of gunk hanging off his whiskers, which isn't helping his coat much either!
Cussypat1974
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Cussypat1974 »

I have dealt with matts like that in the past. Blunt tipped scissors are the way to go, and I use a flea comb to help break the matts up. Once you break them up from the centre, let your fingers do the work gently. Their skin is so delicate compared to ours, and feeling as you go really makes it safer as sometimes it can be hard to know where the skin stops and the matt begins lol! I usually insert the scissors at a right angle to the cat itself, through the matt, and snip upwards. Once the matt is separated into a few bits, but still attached to the cat, I use my fingers to work it out gradually. Many cats seem to enjoy this, even though they hate brushes!

He reminds me so much of my old Jimi Hendrix. I coildn't use my technique on him as he would run. I used to have to sneak up on him as he slept and snip out a knot at a time lol! Thankfully he was a very heavy sleeper!

Incidentally, has he been teste for FIV yet? I ask as Jimi had it. I never had him tested, but his tongue was like a Dog's, with no barbs at all. His licks were lovely, all slobbery, but I recently learned that FIV can cause the barbs to be lost. Which of course makes grooming tough, especially for long haired lads. I only knew his tongue was soft as he was a real licker lol. The same happens to cows when they get a similar virus - and they can't eat thistles anymore! Of course, feeling rou and being generally neglected would also cause grooming difficulties, and Jimi had gingivitis too. The barb loss wasn't a problem for him so long as I was there to keep an eye on his coat for him.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Lilith »

Aww, not so much Fredbare as skinheadFred?

Well, the weather's getting warmer and sounds like he'll enjoy getting his summer haircut, all that grooming and attention - and then a new handsome Fred in the autumn...errm sorry, I just seem to see Fred doing an Ingrid here...sorry!

Give my love to the old chap :)
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

If he doesn't mind being stroked, you might try it with those rubber palmed gardening gloves. Tommy loves it and it is amazing how much loose hair and lumps get stuck to the gloves, with just one stroke! The only problem then is I have to finish he gardening with mohair gloves. :lol:

So pleased to hear he is improving.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

He did test positive for FIV, so that's a really interesting point, Catherine. I've had very little to do with FIV cats up till now, so I'd best do some reading. Thanks!

I've managed to get rid of most of the clumps at the front end, I'll make a start on the back end tomorrow. He's being a very good boy, and for a while was enjoying the attention, but you can tell when he's getting sore and he's had enough and I don't want to push him too much, he's only just decided I'm alright really.

I will try the rubber gloves trick in the future, but there's no loose hair on him really, it's either shaved off, in dreadlocks or recently combed free at the moment!

He does look a bit better for it. :)

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d154/ ... 040988.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Oh Helen, he is looking SO much better. Considering he is FIV+, he is even more amazing. Bless his little cotton socks. :D
nannymcfee
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by nannymcfee »

He is isn't he, you wouldn't know its the same cat now would you.

Dad took in a stray, her fur was so matted ( think it can be hormonal too that causes it on her back just at base of her tail to begin with).It was very thick compacted and had texture like thick felt, i snipped away with my hairdressing scissors at the tips , and then also got blunt round ended ones ( like baby scissors) and teased them through , took ages, but finally i cleared it, it returned but kept on top of it , she had bad dandruff too in that part so it may be lacking vitamins from being strays....

suppose when you next post , you will have to start a new ' fred' :lol:
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

nannymcfee wrote:suppose when you next post , you will have to start a new ' fred' :lol:
LOL! :lol: Or else the Official Fred Fred!

Un-neutered toms do tend to have a sebaceous discharge, especially round their back end, which can result in a greasy 'acne' along their tail, known as 'stud tail' - even the pampered pedigree lads are prone to it, and cats living rough and ungroomed must get in a right state. My Finny, when he arrived, although he was short-haired, was all clumpy and messy on his haunches and tail; neutering and tactful grooming (he didn't like it!) turned him from a scruffbag into a prince...and I imagine poor feeding results in scruffy scurfy coat for the older longhaired feral girls too.

By 'eck Fred's transformation's taking place - glad he's stopped spraying his Fred-room! :D
Last edited by Lilith on Mon May 04, 2015 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cussypat1974
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Cussypat1974 »

I have had clumpy tailed shorthaired female rescues. Rocket-Dog springs to mind. It was a constant battle to keep her groomed, but thankfully she enjoyed it. She had acne too - so I am thinking sebaceous glands being over active at both ends! I think it can be hormonal alright, and diet definitely plays a role. A vet once suggested evening primrose oil for these issues, and I know it can be twken for "women" problems too, but have no idea as to how it actually works.....

In the Summer all my longhaired cats get knots from going through bushes. Ribena has them now and she never did as an indoor-only cat, so living outside definitely contributes I reckon. Those sticky-balls off of those sticky-grasses are the worst. My Minnie used to come in with live slugs and snails attached to her too......!
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by greenkitty »

What an improvement already, way to go Fred!
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

aw, he is gorgeous - looking so much better
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Fred's Grebo ...... or Grebo's fred ......

Post by Crewella »

I've just taken Fred to the vets and she was really pleased with his progress. His eyes have cleared up, so I can stop putting the gunk in (hurrah!), he's now almost 5kg and his coat is looking better, he also had his second vaccination. He's now booked in for his neutering/dental on Monday, and because of the FIV we've started him on antibiotics now to give him a head start. She showed me his teeth, poor boy, all four canines are snapped off and infected, and the rest of his teeth don't look too great either.

One good thing, I guess, is that if he's got no canines, then he's really not all that likely to pass on the FIV, so we don't have to be quite so concerned about where he goes in the future. He's a sweetie, and I'm really getting rather fond of him, and I thought he deserved a proper name ('Fred' was a bit generic and the first name that came to mind when he was collected) so I've called him Grebo because all the chloramphenicol I've been smearing on his eyes has made his facial fur quite greasy and gives him a bit of a quiff. :)

I've changed the title of the thread, as he's really not looking all that sad these days. :)
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by Walesgang »

Yay

Well done Fred (and Helen :lol: )

I can't remember what he weighed at the start?)

Great news his eyes are better and he's 'done'.

Feral boys seem to have teeth problems. My Mr G only has two canines left now. Not that his lack of teeth stop him by and large!

Will Fred (Grebo) eventually be rehomed!?
Last edited by Walesgang on Wed May 06, 2015 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Is that Grebo or Greebo, Nanny Og's cat? :shock: :lol: (BIG Disc World fan)

Greebo would suit him - a bit chewed around the edges but full of character.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Fred's Greebo ...... or Greebo's fred ......

Post by Crewella »

I did consider spelling it 'Greebo' as I do know the character, so now you've said that I've changed it, though the original reference was to the 'the grebos, the crusties and the goths' which seemed to suit him equally well! :D

The vet did think he'd been kicked in the face, as well as general wear and tear. Pugwash has three canines left, but has lost all the rest of his teeth. I guess it's worth noting that neither ever seems to have had any problem eating!

Well, yes he is supposed to be going up for rehoming ..... we'll see ......... :roll:
nannymcfee
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by nannymcfee »

At first thought as in Grebe...with their quiff....then thought Greta Grebo :D so looked up Grebo, never heard of that term, daughter was a goth ( Whitby and such) and youngest was an Emo ... he just now is plain ridiculous well Hah! not blooming plain ...lip/ears pierced ... :lol: i say " first impressions" :lol:

Would Fred Grebo or Frobo as i have named him, like to go to Download/Leeds festivals with him...???? :D
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Glad that the vet is happy with them and he can get his teeth and bits sorted, he'll be much happier then.
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by greenkitty »

Noodley and Tig have both had most of their teeth removed, not that you'd know! He'll feel so much better once the manky teeth are gone x
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Crewella wrote: the original reference was to the 'the grebos, the crusties and the goths' which seemed to suit him equally well! :D
Wow, that was a blast from the past. I'd forgotten about the Grebos, and am I right in remembering a tribe called the Fribs?

I don't know if he will keep the name, Greebo, but I love it, it suits him. Nanny Og's Greebo is such a wonderful character, just like this little man. :)

If he goes for rehoming, I hope they'll keep in touch.

Everything crossed for Monday.
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Oh Helen, he is gorgeous. Have the other boys been checking him out yet? Do you think he would fit into the 'hood?
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

They have all been round there to at least have a look and nobody seems bothered by the tomcat smell. Pugwash always toddles after me when he sees me heading that way with a food bowl, and I've caught them touching noses through the wire a couple of times recently. Perhaps the two old veterans were comparing notes?

He'll certainly stay here until he does find a permanent home ...... not making any decisions yet .... we'll just see how it goes after he's been neutered.

I remember there were all sorts of tribes and subcultures around in the late 80s and early 90s - I confess I was a bit of a goth myself, used to frequent the 'Batcave' club in London in the early 80s ........ :oops:
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

And there's that smile we were waiting for!

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d154/ ... 040857.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
nannymcfee
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by nannymcfee »

Yah....WELL DONE !

He looks so content, i think Frebo :D will be staying put .....
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Ah bless him...the Smile!

It's one of the most fulfilling things ever, when a scared and damaged cat starts to get that look back on its face. To see that cat regaining contentment and trust again...

He definitely looks like a Greebo or a Crustie or a Goth or Punk with that hairdo...you'll have to knit him a vest lol - and then he can be your little vested interest :D

Again congrats on pulling him round :)
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

That long-awaited smile - Lovely. :D
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Oh, the dear boy.
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Walesgang »

Aaaaawwwwww - he is definately not sad looking any more! Well done on working your magic yet again Helen. All they want is to feel loved and safe :D xx
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

It has been wonderful to see him come round, I was so worried about him at first as he looked so very dejected and as though he's 'given up'. He'd been so abused and all the stuffing had been knocked out of him.

Just to see him taking an interest in the world around him is huge progress. He's still very passive and hesitant when I first go in there, but last night was the first time he'd anticipated that food might be on the way. Instead of having to haul him out of his bed (I had to do his eyes, and now for a 'down the hatch' antibiotic), he was out in the run and I saw a little face peering hopefully round the side of the chair at me as I walked round there.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

I'm glad he's realising that humans aren't too bad. There is something so wonderful about working with a nervous cat and gaining their trust.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

talking about little faces peering around corners ..............

here's Tosker before he started coming indoors
cats 029.jpg
cats 029.jpg (28.68 KiB) Viewed 5599 times