Low white cell count

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Low white cell count

Post by Walesgang »

Henry has been out of sorts for a week or so. He's been sick quite a few times, and has been off his food for the past day or two

He has been to the vets twice. First time they gave an anti nausea injection. Today they also did bloods.

All organs ok. Pancreas ok. White blood count a bit low.

Vet suspects a virus. He's got ABs to see if that helps.

Any ideas or suggestions? I am very worried :(
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Low white cell count

Post by HRHFluffy »

Hi Val. I have been thinking about your lovely Henry and wondering if he was getting any better.

I don't have any suggestions I'm afraid. But just wanted you to know I'm thinking about you. It's good that his organs are ok. I'm sure someone will be along soon to help you. I'll be hoping that the antibiotics work. It's such a worry when they are off colour for quite a while. Give him a gentle fuss from me xxx
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Walesgang »

Henry really is unwell.

He has not eaten anything last night or this morning. He is very lethargic.

It's back to the vets this morning for him :(

Fingers crossed please
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

All paws here crossed - hope the vet can work out what's wrong. (((hugs)))
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by greenkitty »

Keeping everything crossed for lovely Henry, hopefully it is just a bug or something easily treated. Let us know how you get on x
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Walesgang »

Thanks for your support.

Just dropped Henry off.

He is having x-rays/scans to see if they can work out what is going on.

He is likely to be kept in overnight on a drip to get some fluids/nutrients etc.

He looked so sad being left there :( x
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Thinking of you as you anxiously wait. Really hope they can sort out what's wrong with your lovely boy.
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by greenkitty »

Oh what a worry, keeping all paws crossed for Henry x
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

Oh what a worry. Fingers crossed they can figure out what is going on and you have your boy back home soon. Thinking of you and sending a ((hug)).

Hopefully the IV fluids and nutrients will also get him eating again; sometimes when they've been off their food their system needs a bit of a 'kick start'
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Walesgang »

Again - thanks for your support - I really appreciate this forum at times of worry.

Vet just rang. Xrays look ok - nothing obvious. This is a relief but it really doesn't take us any further forward. She is still going to keep him in to get him stabilised and hopefully eating - as you say Ria, hopefully kick start his appetite. Going to visit him later and take him his comfort blanket.

Carol - thanks in particular for your support, especially when you are worried about Fluffy. I hope she is on the road to recovery too - give her a fusses from me and my gang (and a supportive head butt from Henry)

It's difficult trying to get on with "normal" things when you are so worried isn't it :(

Thanks again - I am going off on a worried ramble now x
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Diana »

Hi

Poor guy. I had a cat called Heidi and she often had poorly bouts and one issue was low white blood cells. Now i hope I am right in saying this but I believe the white cells are what fights off infection. Vets said something like this to me but at the time I couldn't take itin as we had to put my baby to sleep. If he has low white cells it will affect his ability to fight off infections. Has his white cell count been low for some time or is it something that has popped up?

Maybe he has contracted a small infection and can't fight it off very well?
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Val I'm really thinking of you. You're so right. It's impossible to get on with things when our babies are unwell and at the vets. I was so relieved to get Fluffy home the same day. She is recovering quite well thanks. Fusses gratefully received.

I also think the fluids and nutrients might give Henry's little system a boost. He is such a gorgeous little boy. I just want to cuddle him every time I see his picture. I'm sure he will be pleased to see you later on. Keep us updated as we are all going through this with you.

Hi Diana, sorry to read about Heidi. Poor little girl. I think you're right about the white blood cells.
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Oh, dear Val. I don't know how I missed this earlier. Our darling Henry. I feel quite tearful reading all this. I am sending the biggest healing vibes and good wishes to him and positive thoughts to you too. Lou Lou had a bout like this in the summer, and went to the emergency vet. Her bloods were fine, but the symptoms were otherwise the same - lethargy, not eating (or drinking). At the time I put it down to the hot weather, but the upshot anyway was that she was in YKW overnight on a drip and the next day she was back to normal. In fact, more than normal, as when she came home she polished off two pouches of Applaws chicken which is roughly 80% more than she eats at any one sitting! It took her a few days to get back to her normal occasional nibbling, which periodically worries me. I hope things are as simple as that for your little boy who we all love.

White blood cells are the infection fighting cells, so if he is low on them at the moment he's bound to be down. I hope he's looking brighter when you go back later. We are all thinking of you, Val, and of that precious bundle of fluff. Kisses to him, and to Tips who must be missing him a lot. I hope Grey is planning a nice gift to welcome him home.

Take care, from all of us. xx
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Post by Jacks »

Oh dear - I haven't been on for a few days and just seen this about poor Henry! So sorry he's poorly and I do hope, like others have said, the overnight with special care will see him turn a corner and back to his happy little self.

We are all thinking of you and Henry - hugs and headrubs xx
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Walesgang »

Hi everyone.

Again, thanks for your support.

Visited Henry earlier. He looked brighter. As soon as I opened the door to his pen he climbed straight onto my shoulder purring loudly.

Our vet thinks that he is likely to have an infection, but her main concern is to get him eating. He hasn't eaten much there yet.

I took his cushion and comfort blanket. They will monitor him overnight and make a decision in the morning about coming home.

It has been a very stressful day and I really having you here.

Val x
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Thinking of you this morning Val. Hope the little boy is doing well today. X
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by greenkitty »

Pleased to hear Henry was a bit brighter when you visited.

I'm sure if it comes to it they'll syringe feed him, they could also give him an appetite stimulant which worked wonders for Hector and really got his appetite moving again when he had bad cat flu.

All paws crossed for him x
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Thinking of you and Henry this morning. Really hope the vets think he is well enough to come home. What a stressful time for you. It seems like he was so pleased to see you. That must have tugged at your heartstrings!! Sending lots of fusses to him xx
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Diana »

Fluffy....I hope you remember me from the last site? I remember you and that lovely picture lol.

How is Henry? I remember the times I went through same thing with my Heidi, she would often go off food and become lethargic. Usually though a trip to the vets and an IV drip would kick start her appetite. I hope it is as is simple as that for you.

But guesses is that if his white cells were low then he may have caught an infection and could not fight it off very well.
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Walesgang »

Hi everyone

Sorry I haven't posted all day. I have been in the office (although I spent god knows how much time on the phone about the boy!)

Well, Henry is home. They discharged him this evening. They felt that for now they have done what they can do and he'd be happier home

He has eaten a small amount of chicken. He's very quiet. We have antacids to settle his tummy and are starting the ABs in the morning.

Hope he picks up soon.

Thanks again for your thoughts

X
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Val I'm so pleased your boy is now home.

I really hope that the treatment he's had will help and that the antibiotics make a difference too.

You must be so worried but at least he's with you now and you can keep him comfortable. He will feel much better and happier at home.

We all adore Henry, he is such a gorgeous boy and if I lived nearer I would be calling in to pay a visit and give him a cuddle. For now though please cuddle him for me and give him lots of kisses xxx
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Diana »

Glad Henry home, I am sure he will feel more at ease being with you. Hope he starts to feel like himself soon.
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

So glad your little boy is home, Val. you probably haven't had much sleep but at least he 's close to you. Here's hoping that he will start to perk up today. Have you tried warming some smelly food for him? How are the others coping? Sending lots of love and gentle fusses to darling Henry. X
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Walesgang »

Hello everyone.

Some good news and bad news.

Henry ate some chicken enthusiastically this morning.

He is still very quiet and staying under our bed out of the way.

The bad news it Tips is now also not well.

She did not eat at all yesterday, and did not touch some chicken I gave her this morning. It's not unusual for her to pick at a meal and not eat much, but to show no interest in food at all is unusual. She is also a bit quiet.

Needless to say hubby has taken her to the vet this morning. We did not want to leave it with a bank holiday weekend.

I am climbing the wall with worry :(
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by greenkitty »

A couple of months ago we had a tummy bug go round and it hit three of my four, it took about a week to go through their systems and it was pretty grim being on litter tray duty, they were off their food during this time too. The vet gave me Pro-Bind which I think is the same as Pro-Kolin, it really got my guys sorted out and got their tummies back to normal.
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Oh poor Tips, they must have the same bug. Paws crossed for her here and hope Harry continues to improve. Xx
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Oh Val :(

That's the last thing you need. I hope that Tips is back now and that the vet can help her feel better.

Hopefully it won't be too long before she and Henry recover. Glad Henry was eating well this morning.

Thinking of you in your anxious state.
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Diana »

Thats all you need. Bless Tips, is it an infection like Henry?

On the bright side Henry is pickhng up, glad to hear.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

So sorry to hear this - I've only just picked up on this thread. If both have them have gone down with similar symptoms, could they both have ingested something they've found outside? I do hope they both pick up soon. I can understand how worried you must be feeling.
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Walesgang »

Hi everyone.

Well, th vet thinks that Tips has the same infection as Henry.

In some ways she has found it useful to see Tips because it helps to confirm that Henry has an infection.

The now both have ABs and antacids to settle their tummies.

Henry has been a lot brighter today, although he did throw up his breakfast (and the AB!) earlier.

Tips has just slept most of the day.

Hope the other two don't get it too

Thanks again for your support

Val xx