Let my 2 cats out for the first time tonight, need advise

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Emzr-2014
New Cat Chatter

Let my 2 cats out for the first time tonight, need advise

Post by Emzr-2014 »

I have two rescue kittens, they were abandoned as babies, i got two brothers, I got them at six monthsld, they r now just over a year, I have just let them out about an hour ago, they were meowing like mad when went out as if they were scared but wouldn't come near me and hid in the bush which I know they do for around an hour to they get their barings. How long should I leave them before going down and calling them and will they come to me??
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Let my 2 cats out for the first time tonight, need advis

Post by Lilith »

Hi and welcome. If it's their first time out I'd stay with them and talk to them to give them confidence, and do that for the first few times. If it's practicable, I'd also leave a door or window open for them if they want to come back in; they might not want to stay out for long at first. Good luck :)
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

It's always a good idea to let them out not long before feeding time at first, that way they soon get the hang of coming back in when you call them. I let new cats out for just a few minutes at first, and always supervised, until I'm sure they know where home is and can find their way back home. Good luck!
Hazel
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Hazel »

Did they come back ok? Have they got used to it now? I agree with Crewella, it's easiest to do it when they are hungry at first and they won't wander too far or for too long.