Re: Fred's Greebo ...... or Greebo's fred ...... RIP

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: Fred's Greebo ...... or Greebo's fred ......

Post by lilynmitz »

What a great update Helen, you're doing a wonderful job on this little fella. How wonderful to hear him taking an interest in life again, and responding to,kindness. He must be feeling so much better. Well done! :-)
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Yes, well done Helen. You have made such a difference to this lovely boy. I love every update. It is great that he is getting on with your OH.

Fusses to him (and your poor finger :) )
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Lilith »

Blimey - you must feel as if you're back to the snake days lol :lol:

Sounds like the little guy is coming on by leaps and bounds, sounds like he's already a tiger for his grub and gaining energy - congrats and love to him and hope the finger's better soon :)
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Finger has stopped throbbing, thankfully. :)

He's such a lot better, he actually rubbed round my ankles when I took his food in tonight like a 'proper' cat eager for his tea, and he seemed to quite enjoy being combed. For a while, at least .... he got a bit twitchy when I got to the tender areas that are still quite matted so I left it at that. We got a couple of big clumps, and if I can do that every day we'll soon get through it. What with his shaved back and now shaved areas on his neck, leg and 'nether' regions after his surgery, there's really not all that much fur left!
GreeboCatChat.jpg
GreeboCatChat.jpg (96.37 KiB) Viewed 6666 times
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by Walesgang »

Aww bless him!

Shaved bits and clumps aside, he looks like a 'proper' cat :D
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Nice to see him 'sitting up and taking notice'.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

He's looking so much more alert - wow!
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

He's definitely got that glint in his eye...he's going to be one hell of a chap! :D
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

There are just too many gorgeous cats in your house now, Helen!!
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

He looks on top form now Helen. He has lost that pitiful look - in fact, he looks quite feisty 'Don't mess with me!' :D
Cussypat1974
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Cussypat1974 »

What an absolute Beauty he is! He looks like a male Lion, proud and mighty!

I hope your finger is ok? I'm sure I don't need to remind anyone here about the dangers of cat bites.... But I just can never help myself since a few people I k ow have ended up in hospital on IV antibiotics after them!!!!! They ALWAYS need medical treatment if they have pierced the skin and ton in any way deep at all..... Great he is doing so well now, I'd hate to see you getting sick! ;-)
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Thanks, but the bite wasn't deep and is a lot better, the sorest bit is the blood blister that developed from the 'pinch'. I've been bitten by so many critters in my lifetime (I was bitten by a rabid dog as a child growing up in the Far East and had to have all the rabies shots) that I seem to be immune to most things, but I am careful and I am covered for tetanus.

Greebo does have a glint in his eye now and is sooooo much happier, he's a completely different cat. Turns out he absolutely loves a cuddle and buries his head in the crook of my arm whilst purring his head off. It's lovely to see him coming round, but it also makes me think how very sad that such a loving cat has been so badly let down to end up in the state he was in when he arrived, and with such obviously low expectations of people.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

Crewella wrote:Turns out he absolutely loves a cuddle and buries his head in the crook of my arm whilst purring his head off.

That has just put a huge smile on my face - awwwww

Fusses from me
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

What a fabulous boy he is :) It's amazing and so heartwarming how he's started to trust people again after being so cruelly treated and let down. His latest pic is just great. He's got such an expression on his face!! Give him a gentle fuss from me. Can't wait to hear more about his purrs and cuddles Xx
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by greenkitty »

Just lovely :)
Cussypat1974
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Cussypat1974 »

Oh, the head burying is just adorable! He must have been a pet at one stage and lord only knows what happened to him.... So sad, but look at where he has landed now eh? In cat paradise with you at his beck and call! He will really appreciate all you have done and continue to do for him..... I know it is heartbreaking to think about his past, but he is looking at his present now, and enjoying every precious second of it. Us humans never seem to be able to enjoy the present in the same way that other animals can. I actually envy them that!

I am glad your finger is ok! My most recent bite was from a mouse.... I was trying to save him from 3-legged Mama Puss. She had him in her jaws and was just torturing the poor guy. Well, as I tried to save him, he latched onto my thumb. I didn't manage to save him as when he did that, she bit down and pulled, hurting him even more.... It was awful. I eventually managed to separate her from his half dead body with a sweeping brush, and Ribena leapt in and finished him off in seconds, and ate him...... :-( very gruesome, but Mama would have kept playing with him for hours. At least Ribena ended his suffering.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Poor mouse, cats are **** sometimes!

Greebo really is a sweetheart, and he seems happier and more confident with every day. He now stands up on his back legs for his dinner, meowing for it, and has settled into the everyday routine.

Which is about to change ....... today was the last of his course of antibiotics. Tonight's is the first meal he's had since he came that wasn't preceded by my having to grab him to apply eye drops or push a pill down his throat. He's got so used to me coming in with the bowl and then grabbing him and sitting down with him on my lap for medications that he jumps up on the chair ready for me, and he loves the cuddle afterwards.

I'm tempted to stick to the routine and just give him the cuddle!
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Aww bless him! All that meds and eyes and grooming and he's still ready for his cuddle with you! Yeah made me want to cry, reading about how he buries his head in the crook of your arm.

I love all cats but there is something about these stinky feral toms, when they're older and down on their luck and begin to realise that human contact and company can provide them with love that they've never known...they might have never gone near people, but then once they trust you, they give you their heart. And Greebo was so depressed - it's so lucky he came to you when he did; I think if he hadn't he would have given up.

Waiting for the next pic :)
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Lilith wrote:there is something about these stinky feral toms, when they're older and down on their luck and begin to realise that human contact and company can provide them with love that they've never known...they might have never gone near people, but then once they trust you, they give you their heart.
That's so true. My Daz was one of those, though not all that old, and he trembled like a leaf for the first few days, but once the bond was made he just sank into my arms with relief, and he still buries his head in my armpit for a cuddle. I've never had a cat love me like Dazzy does, bless him. I love all my cats, but Daz is special .... I think most cat lovers do get that one particular cat in their lifetime that finds a special place in their heart, and Daz is definitely mine.

Perhaps I'm getting such a soft spot for Greebo because he reminds me of Daz in so many ways. With many reservations, I put Greebo on our homing page (still as Fred, as his records have not been changed) today. I'm sorely tempted to let him stay here, but he's such a loving cat I don't want to rob him of a chance of a person of his own, and his FIV+ status makes things a little more complicated for the rescue. I'm going to see how he settles and mull things over for a while, and you never know he might get the offer come in of the perfect home, but I don't have to make the decision either way right now unless one does.

I'd really appreciate people's thoughts on this, as it goes. There is such a slender chance of him passing on the virus to my gang, especially as he has no canine teeth, but I'm a relative newcomer to FIV and want to make sure I've thought it through properly before making a decision. What do you guys think, would you take him on in my circumstances?
nannymcfee
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by nannymcfee »

Well one word from me.....YES!

I have no knowledge of FIV but in old days no one ever tested for it or anything else and it was a case of a cat in need is a cat to come and live here .. :D

It is if they cause deep penetrating wounds/bites/scratches isn't it with the virus...all Fred can do is give a gummy suck... :lol: do you think the others would try and pick a fight? if not .....keep him !!!!!
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Crewella wrote:What do you guys think, would you take him on in my circumstances?
In a heartbeat!

As you know, Bob is FIV+ and I have no worries about him infecting the others. I am more worried about any scraps with visiting ferals.

I'm told the virus has an extremely short life outside the host, seconds.

He may yet find a forever home, which would be nice for him. But we would all miss him! Better he stays with you ;) :lol:
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

I confess I kind of knew you'd say that, Sue! ;)

Please don't think I'm challenging your decisions in any way. Having researched it I absolutely agree with you, but I do think I should think carefully. It's also about not wanting to make waves with the rescue or the vets - I can see one or two of the vets are a bit twitchy about the prospect, though they are very supportive of FIV+ cats in general.

We'll just see how he fits in, there's no hurry to make a decision.

Thanks for the support, both of you, it really helps. :)
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Helen I know I always post a link to this website but it does contain the best information there is on FIV http://www.v63.net/catsanctuary/mixed_households.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bob and Barbara who run the sanctuary would be only too pleased to help advise you. They helped me with Harvey.

I am with the others. I too would keep Greebo. He's won our hearts for sure :)

The possibility of Greebo passing on the virus to any of your gang is minimal. As has been said the virus can only be transmitted via a deep bite wound that is deep enough to draw blood and for the virus from his saliva to go directly into the blood stream of the other cat. Sadly some vets (even those who state they are knowledgeable about FIV) do not agree with this and still maintain it can be passed on in other ways. Now that Greebo doesn't have his canines, I doubt his remaining teeth would be able to make a deep enough bite wound.

I do understand your concern. I was very worried about Harvey at first when he was diagnosed. But once I was properly informed my mind was put at ease. Before long I never gave it another thought.
Crewella wrote: It's also about not wanting to make waves with the rescue or the vets - I can see one or two of the vets are a bit twitchy about the prospect, though they are very supportive of FIV+ cats in general.
I wasn't sure what you meant by this. Do you mean that the rescue might be upset if you keep him or if you don't? And are the vets twitchy about him staying with your gang and possibly transferring the virus?

It is a dilemma I know. But as you've said you don't have to make the decision now. You have time to do as much research as you can and then decide.

On a lighter note, I adore the description of your bond with Daz. As I'm not near enough to give him a big cuddle, will you please do that for me. I miss my cuddles with Harvey :(
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

I know someone who often says, 'It's meant'.

Things could go either way - Greebo might be chosen by someone who can give him a good home and who falls in love with him as much as you have (yes and the rest of us lol) or he might stay with you. At the same time, it must be nigh impossible to part with a chap like Greebo; the more straightforward cases like Woody are much easier, I imagine. I think you're right to sit back for a bit and see how things go.

About the FIV+ - I'm no expert but you might remember early in the spring when Hope1 posted about a stray she'd taken in, which was being held by the RSPCA vets and in danger of being pts because he was FIV+ and I volunteered to take him on. We discussed all the pros and cons, and agreed that finding a one to one home for him might be less stressful for him - BUT, I said, if that wasn't forthcoming, I WOULD take him. As it turned out the perfect home turned up in the nick of time, but to have me as backup carried further weight with the RSPCA, and the lad is now a much loved 'Prince Harry' lol bless him.

When my tomcat Finn turned up on the scene in need of help I coaxed the lad into a carrier with tuna and got him to the vet. This was not my present vet; it was that franchise chain and was ok in its way, except that they can be pushy. The head nurse, I think she was, took me to task about getting Finn tested for FeLV. FIV wasn't mentioned. I replied that these tests could be very chancy; he might test negative today and positive tomorrow. Furthermore, he'd been around the neighbourhood, on and off, so long, that he'd had every chance to infect the other cats there. One of my Emily's kittens (conceived before she came to me) was definitely his; well, the whole litter was probably his. I wasn't wealthy; neutering, running abscess on his rear end, and a clean-up of his poor inflamed ears I was ready to pay for; the blood tests I'm afraid I saw as a sales pitch, and I wasn't having any.

Rightly or wrongly, I turned out to be right; Finny lived to a ripe old age with nothing worse than arthritis, and Emily and Mouse are now teenagers and going strong. It's quite possible that they're FIV+ themselves, as ex-ferals, but so far, so good. When you think about it, any cat who has roamed might be FIV+. I do agree that FIV+ cats need to be neutered and hopefully in a home with a secure garden if there's any chance of their fighting and biting (Greebo's not in any danger of that now, bless him.)

Put it this way, I'd take him on! If I lived nearer to you, you would definitely have a rival for his affections lol :lol:

Do hope you manage to keep him though; I'd want to in your place :D
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Crewella wrote:I confess I kind of knew you'd say that, Sue! ;)
Am I really that obvious? :lol: :lol:

I quite understand what you are saying. I wouldn't like to be in your shoes, I'm not known for my tact and diplomacy. I'd probably say 'well, I'm keeping him so :P :P :P :P :P !'

A friend once told me, I was a great loss to the Diplomatic Corps. :lol:

I'm sure everything will work out as it should.
Camdengirl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Camdengirl »

I've not been on here much for a while, but it's lovely to read about Greebo's progress from broken cat to cuddlebug. Well done for giving another hard luck puss the love and care he needed to turn him around, Helen, the cats who come your way really are the lucky ones.

My last lad, Clay, was FIV+ and I learned a lot about it before and after adopting him. The chances of a neutered FIV+ cat passing on the virus within a household are minuscule, as it can only be spread by deep bites – the sort that fighting toms give one another, and that they use to hold on to a female's scruff during mating. Unlike FeLV, it can't be spread by sharing food/water bowls, grooming etc.

Given that he's minus his fangs, the risk of Greebo passing it on post-snip are incredibly small, but if you'd like some more info on FIV one of the best sources is provided by Bob and Barbara at CatWorks (http://www.v63.net/catsanctuary/sanctuary.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and http://www.v63.net/catsanctuary/fiv.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). They've also set up a '1000 FIV cats' project to try to accumulate information on FIV cats because there isn't a lot of research. Anyone who has/has had an FIV cat can add their cat's details (http://www.v63.net/fivcatslives/mycatsinfo.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by greenkitty »

Uh oh....
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

You know you want to Helen :) - I don't think transmission is an issue, I guess it is really down to your existing lot, your OH and you. I guess you are wondering if you are becoming a cat collector :D

I'm sure the rescue would be more than happy. Finding good homes for FIV+ cats isn't that easy. Also hopefully most vets have an enlightened view these days.
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Walesgang »

My hand has hovered all day .....shall I speak or not :) ;)

But ditto many other comments :D xxx
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

This just came up on Goldies Oldies feed. Thought it might interest you Helen :)

http://www.kittycatchronicles.com/home/ ... oexistence" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;