Is Molly underweight?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Mollysmummy
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Is Molly underweight?

Post by Mollysmummy »

Hi all! Some opinions and advice please. Our 2 year old Molly came to us as a very underweight 1 year old from a rescue shelter. we got her up to 6.5lbs which our vet thought was a good weight for her as she's not a big cat.

We've now also got a kitten, and at 9 months he's already 8lbs!! I know he's going to be bigger than her but it just makes me worry that she's still on the skinny side; I'm very conscious of not letting them get fat but nor do I want to be starving them!!!! I've tried to put pics up of her in different positions but what does everyone think?
Attachments
image.jpg
(105.57 KiB) Not downloaded yet
image.jpg
image.jpg (99.13 KiB) Viewed 2493 times
image.jpg
(177.9 KiB) Not downloaded yet
image.jpg
image.jpg (116 KiB) Viewed 2493 times
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: Is Molly underweight?

Post by bobbys girl »

Not at all! she looks fine to me. Boys are often bigger than girls. Bob and Purdy are roughly the same size but Purdy is (and always has been) a skinny minnie. Bob is solid muscle and much heavier. His one front leg is like Popeye's. :lol:

BTW she's Gorgeous!
Mollysmummy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollysmummy »

Thanks! :) she's always been quite delicate, and Kev is definitely all muscle. She was only about 4lbs when we got her bless her, and was very skinny. Kev was only 880g when we got him at 9 weeks he was so tiny!

I must admit, I did an online calculator for her weight and it said she was underweight, but I guess that's just like BMI for humans, it doesn't take into account build/muscle etc. I think I'm just so used to seeing fat cats everywhere I started thinking she was too skinny.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Lilith »

She looks fine to me.

It's a coincidence you should post this as about an hour ago I was wondering about my own Molly. She's tubular! She's like a greyhound! She's also full of beans and has hollow legs where food is concerned! (She hasn't got worms either lol and if I was worried in any way she'd be off to the vet.) She just is a lively slender small cat and as far as I can see in great condition, paws crossed of course.

They're all different and loads of 'moggies' have pedigree blood; Siamese are extremely svelte; my most 'typey' boy once caused consternation with visitors; it was clear they thought I was starving him. Him! He could eat for Thailand! :lol:

Molly looks just great! :D
Mollysmummy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollysmummy »

This is her brother Kevin with his favourite toy Ducky. He takes it everywhere with him!!
Attachments
image.jpg
(119.98 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Mollysmummy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollysmummy »

Ah thanks guys. I've always wondered if she's got some Bombay in her because her eyes are so golden, and I know they're small cats. Good I'm less worried now! She certainly loves her food (specific brands only!) and she holds her own against Kevin when they play fight so I probably shouldn't worry.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

She looks fine (and very beautiful) to me too. I worry about my Basil sometimes, as he's a long-legged rangy sort of cat and he always seems a bit on the slim side, but the vets are happy with him, and he eats fine. They just do come in different shapes and sizes, like we do, I guess!
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

rather than going by actual weight go by body condition; if you google "feline body condition scoring" it should come up with some image charts that give you an idea. Also if you rub your hands along Molly's torso and you can easily feel every rib as you pass over them then chances are she could do with a bit of weight gain.

But looking at those photo's she looks in beautiful condition to be; shiny healthy coat, alert and happy. I'd say she's just perfect as is

She is beautiful