Fluffy needs an operation!

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Fluffy needs an operation!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Hi Julie. Yes I think she is beginning to perk up a bit. She's more keen on food but only the chicken still. I hadn't thought about kitten milk. Give Barney cuddle from me xx
Shelly and Dora
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Shelly and Dora »

Hi Carol.

Dora is exactly the same after an op; she gets ever so thirsty. After our last visit to the Animal Health Trust (anaesthetic given for scans) she got out of her carrier when we got home, walked to her water, had a sniff then started to paw at it in a really strange way. She looked at me as if trying to say 'I want fresh mummy' so I picked her water bowl up & rinsed it out. Whilst doing this she Dashed up her steps, onto the work top & started nudging me furiously.

I was getting desperate because I wanted to understand what she wanted. I dried her bowl, ran the cold tap & she was like a mad thing trying to lick the flow of water from the tap. I know some cats do this but Dora never has. I left it running for her and she lapped and lapped at it. I left it running that long for her that the washing up bowl was overflowing with water, at which point she started drinking from that!!!!

Not usual behaviour for my girl but it stuck in my mind..... Not only because it was so unusual but also because I felt really bad that we had just had a 2 hour trip home & clearly she'd been gasping!!

Honestly I wouldn't worry. I also remember the slightly quieter & hoarse meows & conversations we had for a few days.

((Hugs)) to you and gentle throat rubs to Fluffy xx
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Hi Shelly. That must have been so distressing to watch. Poor little girl. It seems quite a common reaction then to the anaesthetic. Must remember that for future.

Now I have another problem with Fluff. She has had a bit of a poo which I was relieved about because she is prone to constipation. But she obviously needs more to come out and she is repeatedly going to the litter tray to try and do another poo but nothing is coming out. Then she's dragging her bum on the floor. It has clearly unsettled her. I've tried giving her some lactulose but she won't have it no matter how I disguise it. I've also tried fibre response but she doesn't seem to want anything.

Is there anything else I can do to help her? I think her bum is now sore. Hope this doesn't set off her cystitis too. Feel so helpless.
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Hi Carol.....you said you have a little pumpkin, try mixing with warm water and a little vegetable oil or tuna in oil, just a small amount to get into her, maybe just on your finger, so she gets some .......even ordinary cows milk which may prompt a very loose stool....all of these I have had to do with Barney....I know exactly what you are going through....xx
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Thanks Julie. I'll have another go with the pumpkin. I'll try disguising it better this time. Maybe in some tuna oil like you suggested. I have some lactofree milk so I might warm it a little for her too. I've just ordered some miralax which Mark recommended last time Fluffy had constipation. I knew I should have got some at the time. I didn't foresee that she'd go off the lactulose. She'll hopefully be better by the time it comes but at least I'll have it for the next time this happens. Fluffy and Barney don't half keep us busy don't they xxx
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

I know Carol..... :roll: .....I have sat up with Barney while he lies crying because he can't use his litter tray....he tries the bath to have a poo, then drags his bottom across the floor and cries....and I cry even more because I see him in pain !!....I literally forced the oil and milk into him as I couldn't bear to see him in such discomfort.....do you have any slippery elm left ?........xx
Shelly and Dora
VIP Cat Chatter!

Oh bless you. I know that must be heartbreaking to watch. I do remember though that Dora took a few days to get back into her normal toileting routine so again the anaesthetic could be responsible.

I understand that with her being prone to constipation that it would worry you. I've never (touch wood) had this worry with Dora but I think the pumpkin applaws has got to be worth investigating? I think if I was in your situation I'd pop it in the microwave 1st.

I do feel for you carol. I'm certain your girl is going to settle down and be ok but it's easy to say that from the outside looking in. When you are the one stuck in the situation it's so hard to know what to do.

Dora's just taken herself up to bed which is REALLY unusual. It's almost like she's telling me off because we've started poogate! These girlies do stuck together!

I can't say anything to stop you worrying because I'd be the same, however fluff is home with her mummy and you love each other. Just keep doing what comes naturally & give your girl lots of reassurance.

Xx
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Oh Julie. You are just like me. Yes I've got some slippery elm. However Fluffy has now refused to eat anything at all so I can't get it into her. She had a tiny sip of the milk, won't have any tuna oil and pumpkin or even tuna oil on its own (which she normally loves). I am hoping that if I leave a variety of tempting dishes down for her over night then she's bound to have one of them. She has stopped attempting to use the tray for now. Poor girl. I've even tried getting her to go outside for a little wander round in the hope that the exercise might help move things along. But all to no avail. It could be another sleepless night xx

Thanks Shelly. Just seen your post before i submitted this one. Oh dear it looks like we could all be in trouble with poogate then :) It is such a worry and what makes it worse is that I feel so helpless. Everything I'm trying is getting rejected so far. She's even getting up and going into the other room each time I give her something. As you say the main thing is she is home. Hopefully when the anaesthetic is out of her system she will get back to normal. Please give Dora a fuss from me and tell her I'm sorry xx
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Shelley that's so spot on....exactly what I do with Barney !....and now, believe it or not, we have same problem with our Samoyed dog, Fi, who was struggling tonight to have a pooh and refusing food ......looks like a vets visit for her too as she is so lethargic........need this like toothache !!!....x
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Carol, just saw your response after I posted.....my vet said that when I took Barney to her, he was just in a little 'colic type' pain and though she gave him a pain killing injection, she said that if I had just left him to sleep and relax, he would be fine, though it may seem as though they are in a lot of pain, eventually the bowel should relax....especially so after an anaesthetic so I am informed....so understand ....xx
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Thanks Julie. That's good to know. So hopefully if she can sleep she will feel better by morning. She's definitely more relaxed so the discomfort must have gone for now. I really hope that Fi will be ok. Her being poorly is the last thing you need right now. Give her a big hug from me xx
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Thanks Carol....looks like we are both 'on duty' tonight.....!!! .......xx :roll:
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Dearest sister Fluff, I is sorry that Mummy has been doing fings and has not been looking at your Fred in your hour of need. Oh dearie me, I have to agree wiv Dora, you need to have a poo tonighties or we will never hear the end of hims! Paw Fluff, I know it is hardies after such a hard time at YKW but be nices to your Mummy and have foodies. I have only just eaten my tea. Mummy was getting very stressed but after she had watched NCIS wiv Lou Lou I fort I had better eat somefing so I had a whole tinnies of PAH pâté. I was verrry hungry but I didn't want Nachurs Menu or freshly cooked Pollock so I waited till Mummy produced a fird choice! I fink your Mummy might be stressed now and you should accept her next offering. I am going to sit in my donut now and look crossy becaws Edgar has just used the scratch pad right by my heady and I had to tell him I didn't like that!

Be kind to your Mummy tonighies, Fluff. And FI!!! You must be a good doggie girlie too, you mustn't 't upset your mummy eyevver.

Love, Pepsi xx
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Oh dearies, Mummy has posted this on the wrong Fred. It should be on DDDD. Sorry, Friendlies, she is not very klevver. Pepz xx

Mummy has copied the posties above to DDDD now. Apologies to people on this Fred who are not Dashers. She has tried to delete it from here, but can't - I told you she wasn't very klever!
Last edited by SarahT1 [PLLE] on Thu May 01, 2014 6:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

Hopefully she will go soon Carol. I know anaesthetic messes up the digestive system. Mine always seizes up after GA and takes a good few days to get working. I am in the same boat with Laz. He is barely eating so even getting Laxative in him is difficult. As Miralax is odourless & flavourless, I had the idea to mix some into softened butter tonight and it has all been eaten (would probably work with Lik-e-lix too :) ) I have ordered more from Bluemedical (via eBay) tonight too. I hope it arrives before I run out. I hate going to bed leaving him like this :(
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

How is the darling girl this morning, Carol? And sweet Laz, Mark?
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Morning Sarah and Mark. Well she hasn't been yet. But she settled down eventually late last night. I'd left down some food with a cocktail of different things in it to help her go. She didn't touch it! She has had some food this morning and seems a bit brighter. She went outside and had a mini patrol of the garden. She's not gulping any more so hopefully her throat feels a little better today. She's fast asleep now on one of her beds. I'm hoping that her colon feels more relaxed today so she is at least comfortable even if she doesn't go.

Apart from this problem with her bowel she seems to be recovering well. The vet was pleased with how her blood pressure was during the operation.

Mark I really hope Laz improves and starts eating again soon. It's awful to watch them in such discomfort. Let us know how he is today. Give him cuddle from me x
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Glad to hear the little princess is perkier today. We are thinking of her all the time, and of the other precious little ones who are poorly at the moment. What a hard time. :(
jan1957
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by jan1957 »

We're sending lots of love to Fluffy and hope she's continuing to get better. Won't mention the P*O situation, I know how cross they get when you discuss certain movements.....just hope HRH has done you proud today ?
Thinking of you Carol and hope you both have a good night xxx
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Hi Jan. Thanks so much for thinking of us. I know we'll get into trouble but have to report that Fluff still hasn't been able to go today. Late this afternoon she's kept trying again without success. Poor baby. She talks to me when she gets out of her tray as if she's trying to tell me all about it. I just hope this doesn't end up in another dash to the vets for an enema like last month. Thankfully the miralax I've ordered should be delivered tomorrow. Otherwise she is doing pretty well. I think her bottom is a bit sore now though.

Please give the handsome Georgie and Eric special fusses from me and Fluffy xx
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Post by Jacks »

Oh poor Fluffy! We're all rooting for nature to take it's course tonight or tomorrow. I'm glad the operation went well, which was your main worry and it sounds something of a consolation that this is not unusual after a general anaesthetic, but I would talk to the vet about it at least and, much as she hates it, take her back if things don't improve.

Fusses to that precious fluffiest Fluffy xxx
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

Poor fluffy :(

You can buy a cat-safe enema called Microlax. I have one handy but have never managed to use it. Fingers crossed the Miralax comes tomorrow, but it does take a while to work through.

Laz did a 1/2 poo overnight but still not happy with the amount. I gave him 1/4 tsp of Miralax late last night, mixed into some butter. Still no real results. He is eating though.

Meanwhile, Kylie had explosive diarrhea yesterday and even refused her Tesco webbox today.
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

I think I managed to send an email to someone rather than post a reply here!

How is dear Fluff today? I hope she manages to avoid a trip to YKW for a procedure!

Poor Kylie. How is she and lovely Laz today?
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Oh Sarah :) You're going to be getting a lot of stick for your computer skills.

Still no bowel movement I'm afraid. I've managed to get some lactulose into her this morning and some pumpkin last night. She seems fine in herself. She's not at the stage where it's making her miserable like last time. However I am hoping she will go soon or I will have to be ringing the vets for advice and a possible appointment :( Of course it would be a bank holiday weekend approaching.

I'm quite confident that her miralax will come today as I've yet again joined amazon prime for another trial period!!

Hi Mark, really hope that Laz has done the deed today and feels more comfortable. Does he go to his tray and have a go but not produce anything? That's what Fluffy does. I wouldn't fancy my chances with an enema. But it's good to know the make of a cat safe one just in case one day I get brave. Hope Kylie is feeling better. It's so stressful when more than one is ill at the same time.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

I know you will be happier when she goes, but as long as she is comfortable, I'm sure there is a fair bit of 'storage space' ;)

I just looked on Amazon and the price has gone down. I usually buy it on eBay as is was £25+ for the 14-day size I always buy for about £12 delivered on eBay. Now I can get it for £14 delivered, I know where to go.

As for the Micralax enema, I just keep one handy for emergencies. I was surprised that my local chemist had them and it was only about 70p for one - the same thing the vet uses :) - I know some types can be dangerous for cats.
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Thanks for the reassurance Mark. Yes she's definitely comfortable so far. I'm keeping a close eye on her and have planned to put some more pumpkin in her next lot of food. I was surprised at the price on amazon. It seemed quite a bargain compared with what others were charging and the fact I could get it pretty quickly made all the difference. It's handy to know that I can get the enema from a chemist if need be.
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Yeh!!! Bowel movement has been accomplished :) About 20mins ago to be precise.

Just in the nick of time!

Little Duchess must surely feel so much better. She's celebrating by sitting on my chair in the summerhouse.

Hope Laz is ok Mark. One down, one to go :)
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Hey Carol, great news !!!!!! :D Well done Fluffy .......so, so pleased for you BOTH !....She must be feeling much better, having been through the same on many occasions with Barney I fully understand the utter relief ...! Have a glass of wine Carol !....and Barney sends a headbutt to HRH too.......xxx
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Ah thanks Julie :)

It was a bit of a close call with the bank holiday coming up. I can relax a bit now.

Hope Barney is ok and that Fi has recovered from being off colour xxx
Shelly and Dora
VIP Cat Chatter!

Yayyyyy. Go Fluffy!

That's super news. I'm really pleased.... And so is Dora because she was getting rather tetchy about poogate!!

Big fusses to Fluff & a ((hug)) to you. What a relief (literally)!

Pour a big glass of wine & put your feet up x