Next doors cats and new baby.....

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Thecatcameback
New Cat Chatter

Next doors cats and new baby.....

Post by Thecatcameback »

Hi

Just looking for some advice. Our cat has always been a bit skittish and bitey since a kitten but also affectionate. We got through the constant peeing on stuff fine. However two years ago we had new neighbours with two cats. When they moved in cat got quite bitey with us (drawing blood). He is now almost 4.

Just when that got calmed down neighbours got a dog as well as two cats. Since then their cats spend a lot more time in our garden and recently have been ripping our cat's ears to pieces and there is always screaming. I can try feli way but as a solution to me this doesn't seem to cut it and to be honest I am not sure whether he can adjust to being bullied, doesn't seem fair as he is now

-Prone to random biting attacks ( drawing blood, he will come and lie down next to me I don't touch him then he bites!) . At a level where my four year old can cope but also a new baby due so am concerned. I have a few scars now.
-won't sit on our laps or near us-he used to be affectionate if a bit nippy
-going to be extremely hard to get him attention to help as he only wants attention at specific times -normally bed time for my kid, or when we are going to bed, and won't really come near us, even though we are careful not to stroke too much as he is probably lacerated. He won't allow even a light combing.
-but he doesn't want to be inside all the time either and hated his open litter tray and his covered one too, so we ensure he can go out and come in when he needs to but the other two cats will sometimes block his way inside!
-don't have a spare room we can make into his sanctuary, our bathroom just about fits a bath in, we have to barricade our bedroom door as he loves to pee on that mattress still !

Re keeping him away from baby while he adjusts we cannot shut any doors in our house except shut him in kitchen and out of bedroom -house is twisted and doors are all "push" ones with no latches, and joiner said he couldn't do anything to make them shut anyway.

Has anyone got any ideas, he used to be a handful but affectionate now he is clearly suffering from the bullying.
Thecatcameback
New Cat Chatter

Re: Next doors cats and new baby.....

Post by Thecatcameback »

I just saw a reference to ultrasonic cat deterrents which could be turned on and off, any thoughts on if these would work?
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Lilith »

Hi there - it's probably me who posted about the ultrasonic cat deterrents, as my garden was getting overrun with neighbours' uncared for cats who were using it as 'their' bog. Not any longer!

These do work very well - for me at any rate, as my cats use trays and don't go out without supervision, but if your cat needs permanent access to outdoors, they're going to scare him off his own patch.

Is he neutered? Many entire toms do spray in the house, but if he is neutered and still spraying/weeing everywhere, it sounds as if he's feeling stressed/threatened. Now with the bullying from neighbouring cats, he's obviously having a very bad time of it.

Seems like he doesn't feel as if there's a safe place for him at all.

I'm not a cat behaviourist and hopefully other people on here will have more suggestions, but sounds as if he needs some help, especially in view of the prospective baby.

Do hope you reach a solution.
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by greenkitty »

It does like he's very unsure and unsettled in his home now and with the neighbours cats in the garden he's redirecting his aggression onto you and the family. A couple of thoughts, are you able to cat proof your garden so he can't get out but more importantly the troublesome two can't get in? Or if that's not an option could you come to an arrangement with your neighbour so you have a rota for outside access, so both sets of cats get outdoor time without the risk of bumping into the other.
Thecatcameback
New Cat Chatter

Post by Thecatcameback »

Hi guys thanks fir your time. I was thinking of just leaving the sonic on and turning off when he goes out and trying to get him in quickly. So next door's cats get out of the habit of coming over if you see what I mean. Have never heard of cat proofing or supervised cat -garden visits so will look into it. Unfortunately I work so may just have to try the supervised thing on mat leave see if it helps.

Good idea on the rota and will try, but what with next door having dog I expect their cats need constant access to outside too given they are taking out their feelings on our cat.

He came and sat next to me for five minutes this evening but won't go on my lap and only allowed to scratch for thirty secs between his ears. Then he wanted out, not a house cat by nature.
Cussypat1974
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Cussypat1974 »

Talking to the neighbour's and trying to organise a rota would probably be the most effective option. Are their cats neutered I wonder? You shouldn't have to go through this, and if my cats were causing such a problem I would want to know and put a stop to it! I communicate well with my neighbours since Ai moved to the country, but it was so hard when I lived in town!
This might seem mad..... But have you considered adopting a puppy? I'll probably get shouted at here for suggesting that, but I know someone who comes here asking advice wouldn't do that on a whim. My dogs love OUR cats, but go NUTS at strange cats.... And always have done. Once properly introduced etc. it'd be scary for your boy to see a dog in his own home, but he would soon put manners on a puppy.... My cats always have done. I would lend you one of my terriers if I lived closer!