Re: Fred's Greebo ...... or Greebo's fred ...... RIP

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Fred's Greebo ...... or Greebo's fred ......

Post by Kay »

he really is a long-haired tattypuss, isn't he? a face full of character and attitude - just gorgeous
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Lol Kay don't you mean character and tattitude? He is truly fab!

Hi there Nannymcfee - cool!

Which just about describes the weather in our part of the country - reckon this is all we're going to get...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T88fbHOmvRk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:lol:

Do envy Greebo in his summerhouse down south... :D
nannymcfee
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by nannymcfee »

Lilith i love that , reminds me of works trip to Stratford -upon- Avon,1974, then onto a Northern Soul venue on way back !

Summer Breeze..... its a howling cold wind here ! :D
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

nannymcfee wrote:Summer Breeze..... its a howling cold wind here ! :D
ditto! Apparently it is going to be 'cooler' tomorrow! :shock: Just how cold can it get in June? Global Warming my axxx!

Summer Breeze - Oh that brings back SO many happy memories (sunshine in Summer for one thing!) :lol:

We are undertaking a BIG garden project at the moment and have been outside for most of the day. The cats have come out every so often to tell us they are hungry. But otherwise have spent the day lounging around in the house. They are not daft.
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by greenkitty »

Aww look at him, all happy happy fusses on a lap. I really hope you can make it work with your gang, but if you can't he certainly seems to have the makings of a lovely puss...

Although you don't have a long haired mog in your collection :D
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

As it was such a lovely afternoon I played him your summer songs in his 'summer house down south' and added the ultimate summer chill out song for good measure. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2c855pZxgQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't think he quite qualifies as a 'long haired' mog yet, but you're quite right, Julia, I seem to have one of almost every colour but all with short hair in my 'collection'! :D

I was a bit concerned about the state of what's left of his coat as it's still very thin, and his skin is very dry and flaky, so we're now giving him Viacutan Plus with his food once a day. I'm hoping that will help get him into a better condition.
Last edited by Crewella on Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Ahh, Billie Holiday...now you're talking! :D

Poor old chap, he must have been suffering from severe malnutrition. That Viacutan seems to get good reviews, hope it works for him, and give him a fuss from me :)
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Poor old Greebo got a bit sidelined for a couple of weeks whilst we had foster kittens in the house, but he's doing fine. I'll try to get a pic of him as his coat is finally starting to grow back.

He's turned out to be a real cuddlebum, we really do need to move him into the house and see if he'll integrate with the rest of the gang - I've just had a really busy few weeks and didn't have the time to sort it out.

He left me a present this morning - one dead shrew, carefully placed at the foot of the chair in his pen, where I sit for cuddles! :D
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by greenkitty »

Aren't you the lucky one :D
Grace56
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Grace56 »

Oh poor, poor Fred. Such a sad little chap....but I'm willing to bet he won't be for much longer. :) I think Fred is one lucky cat to be looked after by you, Crewella.

It looks as though, under all that sad neglect and um fredbareness....Fred has the makings of a beautiful cat.

Do keep us updated on his progress, Crewella.

Give him a fuss from me and a meow from Big Dave xxx
Grace56
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Grace56 »

Ooooh! I didn't realise this thread was so long when I posted (above) I knew you could do it. He is a lovely cat and a credit to your care, Crewella.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Poor old Greebo got sidelined for a while as we dealt with Pugwash and his problems but, much as we loved Pugwash and miss him, his passing has taken some of the stress out of the household. I felt it was now a good time to try and integrate Greebo with the rest of the gang, so he's now in the house and tonight spent his first evening with us in the living room and with the rest of the gang around.

The gang aren't too impressed, they never are with a newbie in the house, but I know they won't start a fight if he doesn't, and thankfully he has been a gent and ignored all the hissing that has been directed at him.

He doesn't care, right now he has a lap and cuddles at last - he's the happiest cat in Hertfordshire!! :)
P1060584.JPG
P1060584.JPG (106.15 KiB) Viewed 5789 times
P1060587.JPG
P1060587.JPG (128.41 KiB) Viewed 5789 times
jillyvillyvoo
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by jillyvillyvoo »

Thank you thank you thank you for caring and sharing that story and picture. I'm so grateful for people like you. Please give us updates so we can see how this wee soul is progressing x
nannymcfee
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by nannymcfee »

Awww he looks like a long haired version of what Luca looked like,

Perhaps its a Shakespearean theme he has going, about the shrew, maybe it died before you could tame it :D ,suppose it was much ado about nothing really,
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Oh Bless him! That's one happy cat. So pleased for him, and you. :D
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Oh, what a gorgeous, happy little boy!
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Hey I was thinking about him the other day and planning to ask you for an update - this is great, looks like Greebo's come home - and what a handsome lad too!

Hope the settling in continues smoothly :D
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

He seems to have reacted to the change very well, and basically just followed me wherever I went last night. By the end of the evening he was no longer demanding attention and seemed happy just to sit near us.

We have a 'utility room' area by the back door and I've shut him in there overnight and will do today whilst I'm at work, and I brought his bed into there from his pen. The others can hear and smell him as it's right next to the living room, so it's ideal for introductions. He seems perfectly happy in there, I didn't hear a peep out of him all night. :)
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Aww that brings back memories of my Finny - after he moved in he followed me about for ages...

He used to sit on the side of the bath and perv at me! :lol:
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

So glad he's moved inside and seems to be settling well. Give him a fuss from me :D
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by greenkitty »

Yay!! How lovely, bet he's just pleased to be part of the family!

Fusses from me too x
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Well, a couple of days in we've had a few ups and downs, but overall it seems to be going OK. Basil and Grumpy Nellie are still hissing at him and hiding from him but he's been very good and pretty much ignores them, and he's had a few sniff exchanges with Merrick, who was his usual sweet-natured and welcoming self and smacked him round the chops before stalking off, but he seemed to take it in good part.

The one that worried me was Daz, because yesterday evening Greebo suddenly launched himself at Daz when he came in the room and knocked him on his back (the same way he attacked poor old Pugwash by his pen a few weeks ago). Poor old Daz, who's definitely a lover not a fighter, was most upset and I was really worried about him for a while, but all has been calm today and earlier this evening I had Daz, Merrick and Greebo all in the kitchen together happily eating bits of turkey.

Greebo had been sitting on my lap when Daz walked in and he attacked him, so for a while I'm going to try to avoid situations like that where Greebo might feel he has to defend his hard-won and newly gained lap and sofa time. He doesn't seem aggressive in any other situation, and I really can't blame him for being scared someone might take it all away from him again, poor little sod. On the other hand, Daz is mummy's boy and I have to keep his happiness as my priority. Luckily, much as Daz loves his mum, he's never been possessive, so as long as he gets his daily cuddle and he's not actually scared he'll be OK. Fingers crossed.
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by greenkitty »

I might be tempted to try it the other way round, most of the cat introduction information says to mainly ignore the new cat when the existing mogs are around so they don't feel replaced...
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

I know where you're coming from, but my gang are all now pretty used to newbies moving in, they're not too bothered as long as the newbie doesn't hassle them. It's only really Greebo that's the problem, and that seems to only happen when they approach him when he's on the sofa with us. He needs to learn that our love can be shared, it won't get taken away.

Poor Greebo has an upseat tum. We sometimes give our cats a (very) little drop of milk or cat milk - none of our current cats react badly to milk. Greebo has been going round finishing any leftovers ..... and it seems milk really disagrees with him. Of course I'll make sure he doesn't get any more and he's on bland food for a couple of days, but actually the fact that he's a bit subdued has been a godsend. He's currently asleep behind me on the office chair, Basil is in his basket less than two feet away and Daz is asleep on the floor the other side of Basil. That would never have happened if poor old Greebo wasn't being so quiet!
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Bless him, I've never had such a sense of a cat really trying his best to be a good boy and fit in. He's using his tray like a good boy and has already learned to sit with us whilst we eat and also to wait whilst the others get their share when doing treats in the kitchen. Like Finny he doesn't seem to want to let me out of his sight and follows me everywhere.

I spoke to the rescue today, and apparently a lovely couple that took another of our FIV+ cats a few months back now wants one to keep her company. I explained how well he was doing and that I thought he'd be fine as a companion cat, but after some reflection she thought they might do better with a younger cat as theirs is only about 18 months and very lively. She also felt that, as he was so very depressed when he arrived and is doing so well here, it might set him back to uproot him again and in the long term he's probably better off here now that he has settled in so well. So ....... as long as nothing untoward happens, it looks like Greebo is here to stay.
P1060575.JPG
P1060575.JPG (93.2 KiB) Viewed 5722 times
:)
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

SO pleased to hear that. :D Looking at that last photo how could you possibly uproot him now? he looks so content. He reminds me of our Thomas, with that big, silly grin on his face.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

I agree - you couldn't possibly uproot him now - after all you've been through together, it would break his heart, and yours. You'll never forget Pugwash, but Puggy couldn't have a worthier successor.

Isn't he gorgeous! Those great big pawses and that great daft smile on his face! His hair's just like mine, all nice and scruffy and long and dready :lol:
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Just to update: we've been on tenterhooks all week, shutting Greebo in the utility room at night or when we're not around and monitoring the situation carefully so as to distract from any potential problems when he's loose. There have been a few minor scuffles, but I'm hoping the worst is over and most of my gang are starting to return to their usual habits and looking less concerned about a stranger in their midst. I think he is also learning that he is now part of a large family of cats and doesn't have to fight his corner, and he does mostly ignore the others now. Paws crossed. :)
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Good news Helen! Glad to hear everything is settling down.

We STILL get the odd scuffle (usually Gracie-centred) and they have been together for years! That's cats for you. :roll:
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Bless him - he's being such a good boy!

He's not that elderly, is he, but I think they do get more peaceable as they get older; Emily and Mouse have been fast friends forever but I remember Emily, as an on the street feral, being really bitchy to Mouse, who'd been born into her community. Any aggro nowadays here comes from...guess who, the dreaded Molly. I just can't imagine that cat finally mature and peaceful!

With all paws crossed and the very best for the continued integration! :D