Strange random chewing movements when not eating?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Cindy 14
Frequent Cat Chatter

Strange random chewing movements when not eating?

Post by Cindy 14 »

My 13 year old cat Cindy is randomly making chewing movements, and not just after she's eaten - it's as though she's got something stuck in her mouth and can't get rid of it? It doesn't seem to distress her much and it hasn't affected her appetite but it has been happening now on and off for several months. I'm hoping there's something I can do about it initially without having to go to the vet.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Strange random chewing movements when not eating?

Post by Crewella »

Have you managed to have a look in her mouth to see if there actually is anything stuck in there?

If there's nothing obvious, then I'm afraid it really is something a vet needs to look at. At her age it's quite likely that she might have a problem with her teeth, and cats are very good at hiding the fact that they're in pain. It does sound as though she is in some discomfort, poor lass. I hope you manage to get to the bottom of it.
Cindy 14
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Cindy 14 »

Update - well it looks like it's going to have to be a visit to the vet!! She's now hardly eating anything and is doing that strange thing with her mouth more often :( . I know it's going to be another lot of expense but I hate to see her like this
Sue Goddard
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Sue Goddard »

I suspect a loose tooth that has gone skewif in the jaw...one of my cats had that a few years ago..if they bite on a biscuit or such with a loose tooth it can dislodge it enough and make it hang at a funny angle so they mouthe a lot to try and get rid of it. The ligatures on the tooth will keep it in in the socket until it comes out.

Just a thought....
nannymcfee
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by nannymcfee »

I was going to say the same Sue, Loose tooth or teeth, i remember one of mine making the same chewing noise with a loose tooth.
Cindy 14
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Cindy 14 »

I've been to the vet and she had a really good look in Cindy's mouth and could only see a bit of tartar on her teeth and nothing at all wrong with the teeth at all.

I'm wondering now if she's almost constantly got a bad taste in her mouth, which is preventing her eating anything much? Does anybody know what can cause this?
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

did the vet touch each tooth to see if any were loose? I was told there were no problems in Tiffany's mouth when she was flinching away from her food, but under x-ray a loose and infected canine was found, and removed

the vet claimed that Tiff's teeth and gums were, on sight, in excellent condition, unusually so in a cat her age, so that the loose tooth must have been caused by a trauma

perhaps Cindy's mouth would show up something under x-ray - after all our teeth aren't passed fit for purpose simply by the dentist's eyes only
Cindy 14
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Cindy 14 »

Is it possible to upload a video onto this site as it's so hard to describe exactly what Cindy is doing? Problem is I don't want to go down the road of expensive dental investigations unless I'm pretty sure it will be conclusive? Also Cindy does find vets pretty traumatic so it would be good if someone could recommend me a good one in Chatham?
Camdengirl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Camdengirl »

A better idea would be to show a vet the video of Cindy eating. Does your vet know how long this has been going on for? Did she recommend any further investigations, perhaps under sedation? I'm not sure how good a look any vet can realistically get in a cat's mouth while the animal is awake, I've never had a cat that was in any way inclined to have its mouth examined.

I know vet care can be expensive, but our pets are our responsibility and if they are unwell or uncomfortable they rely on us to help them, they can't do it alone. If you're not happy with your vet and want to find another one in the area this might help: http://www.goodvetguide.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ruth
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 8

Post by Ruth »

Hi there,
You could try easipetcare for your girl. They are a lower cost vet service and They have a practice in Chatham
01634 829934
Cindy 14
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Cindy 14 »

Thank you so much for your replies. I have actually been to Easipet in Chatham who did do an examination under sedation so I guess the next step is more invasive investigation such as x-ray, but I'm going to make sure this is definitely the right way to go before I embark on another traumatic and expensive vet visit.
Cussypat1974
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Cussypat1974 »

My Mammy Muffin had an terrible mouth a couple of months ago. She was in agony and the vet couldn't even open her mouth to check. So she prescribed antibiotics and Mammy was due to go back to be sedated and investigated after the weekend (it was a Friday and she hadn't been fasted). By Saturday evening she was fine! We still have no idea what went on in her mouth to be honest, but I reckon she ate a bird or a mouse and got a bone stuck which caused an infection. She is an older cat and I am reluctant to sedate her unless necessary.
Willowgill
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Willowgill »

Hi - sorry I haven't been on here in some time and just seem this. Has anything been diagnosed about Cindy's chewing issue? I ask because I'm wondering if it's actually connected to something other than her teeth especially as you mention she's not eating. Has the vet done blood tests for kidney problems? My lovely Harry had a similar problem when he had CKD and would make an awful grinding noise when he was eating - I realised that an earlier cat had also done the same thing also with kidney failure. The vet explained it's something to do with the protein in their system - there is a better explanation here http://www.felinecrf.org/phosphorus.htm#teeth_grinding" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I hope it is a dentistry problem and that you have had this sorted out now but did think it might be worth investigation if nothing else has come to light.
Cussypat1974
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Cussypat1974 »

Thank you SO SO much for that link! I did have a cat years ago who made that awful grinding noise...... The vets never explained it. She was a cat in a terrible state who had been found collapsed and was sent to me. Her name was Penelope. She had FIV, FeLv and was completely blind. She ate like a bird and made that grinding sound. It really is unmistakable once you have heard it! THANK YOU for linking to info on this! Especially as I have a 2 year old here with CKD and am learning and trying to do my best for him every day. Thank you. X
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

You've reminded me, my old Giddy did the same when her kidneys were failing. I didn't know why, so thank you for the explanation.

Is that link working for anyone? I'll try it again tomorrow but it's coming up with a 'reset' message for me.
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Janey »

Crewella wrote:You've reminded me, my old Giddy did the same when her kidneys were failing. I didn't know why, so thank you for the explanation.

Is that link working for anyone? I'll try it again tomorrow but it's coming up with a 'reset' message for me.
One of mine with CRF did this too.

The link worked for me the other day but not today Crewella.
Cussypat1974
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Cussypat1974 »

Poor Penny probably had CKD too then...... She was only ever treated for the infections she had at e time... Which were plentiful! I reckon the vet knew any aggressive treatment was pointless as she was so messed up anyway, and just focused n giving her a decent quality of life while she was here. She DID seem happy and played with her jingle balls and loved cuddles. Only had her for 6 months but she made a HUGE impact on my life.......
Jeff02
New Cat Chatter

Post by Jeff02 »

I recently experienced this issue with my cat back in June. I was convinced that there was something stuck in my cats mouth or perhaps maybe there was an issue with a tooth. Unfortunately after many trips back and forth to my vets and many tests later it was discovered that my cat had a mature untreatable cancerous stomach tumor. Apparently chewing and pawing at the mouth could also be a sign your pet is in pain and could possibly have an underlying condition not related to oral health.
vickyvicvix
New Cat Chatter

Post by vickyvicvix »

Good morning everyone, it's my first time here but googling my issue has sent me in this direction and I'm really hoping that someone on this board may be able to help. My little lady Sox has started making random chewing movements. She is a year and a half old so still relatively young. She is eating fine and crunches on biscuits without issue and is her normal lovely self but will sit and chew on nothing several times a day for maybe 10 to 20 seconds...it's just so strange. Sometimes when she does it she is snuggled up with me purring her head off so she certainly doesn't seem to be in pain.
I have her booked in to the vet tomorrow afternoon at 5.30 but I hate the thought of having to drop her off at the door as they don't let people in at the moment, just take your pet :(
If anyone has any thoughts what this might be on such a young cat or has maybe experienced this too then I would love to hear from you. Thank you for reading, best wishes, Vicky
Iammessi
New Cat Chatter

Post by Iammessi »

Hi dear vicky, how is your cat vet visit result? My cat is also relatively young and I think I could relate to your condition. I am calling a vet but I just can’t sleep while waiting for the visit :(

Hope i can hear your story!
Best wishes and please be healthy!

vickyvicvix wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:18 am Good morning everyone, it's my first time here but googling my issue has sent me in this direction and I'm really hoping that someone on this board may be able to help. My little lady Sox has started making random chewing movements. She is a year and a half old so still relatively young. She is eating fine and crunches on biscuits without issue and is her normal lovely self but will sit and chew on nothing several times a day for maybe 10 to 20 seconds...it's just so strange. Sometimes when she does it she is snuggled up with me purring her head off so she certainly doesn't seem to be in pain.
I have her booked in to the vet tomorrow afternoon at 5.30 but I hate the thought of having to drop her off at the door as they don't let people in at the moment, just take your pet :(
If anyone has any thoughts what this might be on such a young cat or has maybe experienced this too then I would love to hear from you. Thank you for reading, best wishes, Vicky