Help !!!

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Pam o
Returning Cat Chatter

Help !!!

Post by Pam o »

Hi everyone
Please help I have 3 lovely cats one which after 8 months has now started to live
With us :) he's been a stray and he's only about 2 or 3 we recently took high
To the vets for check up and spaying but also thought it might help
Him and our other cat who's now 11 stop spraying everywhere :(
It's driving us mad it's like a competition and we have tried everything
But it's beyond a joke now ruining everything and the smell is awfull :( we love them all
The third one is a girl and is 5 they all seem really stressed please please
HELP thank you
Pam x
Camdengirl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Help !!!

Post by Camdengirl »

You say you've tried everything, but without knowing what that encompasses it's hard to know what to suggest. Presumably you've tried Feliway? Have you tried contacting a behaviourist?

How many litter trays do you have? How big is your home and do all of the cats have access to outside? Are there plenty of places for them to hide/get some privacy, like cat trees, beds, boxes?
Willowgill
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Willowgill »

Hi - it really is awful isn't it when they do this. Has your 11 year old just started doing it since the stray arrived and has he been neutered? It should help if/when they're done but it sounds like it could be a territory issue as well as they're probably marking to establish their rights. Do they use litter trays and do you have several around the house? The stress thing is obviously due to the newcomer and may take some time to calm down. It might be worth trying to keep them in different areas of the house for a while until they get used to each other and as well as the Fellaway you could try the Bachs flower remedy which does seem to be working on my 3 albeit slowly. There are different ones for different behaviour issues. For cleaning I think white vinegar diluted is supposed to work.
Pam o
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Pam o »

Thank you so much for replying we live in a 2 bedroom house
And they all use the cat flap go out all the time
Sleep all over the house but yes I think it's a territory thing !!!
Definately but hobo the 11 year old i think is really
Stressed bless him tried the white vinegar , tried non biological
Wash powder scrubbed everywhere they have all been done
But not stopped them at all got one littèr tray in the house
But they all go out just don't know why they have got worse
It's all over the house now :( . Feliway plug ins Evan cat nip lol they
Have scratchy posts too .
Camdengirl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Camdengirl »

Do they all use the litter tray? Some cats don't like using the same one for both types of 'business' so it might be worth trying two to see if it helps. I can see there's a territorial aspect, but it may be that if one is toileting inappropriately the other is spraying in response, and if you can get one to stop they both might.

You've got the Feliway going, have you tried Zylkene? It's a natural milk protein you can sprinkle over food that can have a calming effect.
Pam o
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Pam o »

Hi no I've not tried that only Feliway so that might
Be the next thing to try thankyou . Only got one litter tray
But to be honest none of them use it !!! But I will try putting clean litter
In them and see if that helps
Thanks again Pam .
Pinkglitter1
Experienced Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by Pinkglitter1 »

Hi,

I have had ongoing problems with spraying and I sourced a behaviourist to help me. Feliway and Zylkene ( a natural pet remedy sourced online) worked wonders. You say the cats are in competition...the behaviourist said to me that I needed as many resources as possible in order that the cats are not in competition. That meant extra litter trays,toys and water bowls. Look at youtube for a technique called tellington t-touch. This is a stroking technique to reduce stress in cats. Also, use bicarb of soda to clean areas of spray. Ordinary household cleaners just enhance the smell of ammonia to cats and the area will remain a spraying hotspot. A dab of surgical spirit will ensure the smell has gone.

This issue is salvable!

xx
Pam o
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Pam o »

Hi thankyou so much you don't know how good it is for someone
To say it's Solvable :) , we love our babies and we don't regret
Taking on and giving the stray a home ( Herbert !! Lol ) he's getting
More friendly every day but this spraying is really frustrating
, I would like to speak to a behaviourist can you recommend one ?
Thanks again for your reply .
Pam xx
Pinkglitter1
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Pinkglitter1 »

Hi Pam,

Where in the country are you? The Association of Pet Behaviour Counsellors has a list of certified people around the country. http://www.apbc.org.uk/apbc/committee" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you are in London, I would defnitely recommend the individual that I used-I will have to dig out details. Let me know. It was £100 for the appointment, so quite pricey, but that also included 8 weeks of follow up email and telephone support. I've read that the behaviourist Vicky Halls does telephone consultations and these are £45 I think.

Please stay positive, 2 years ago I was tearing my hair out with frustration, the final straw being when I had to buy a new mattress. Nathaniel will still occassionally spray, but hardly ever these days. We are also in a 2 bed garden flat which is probably a bit small for the 4 cats. When we move I anticipate it will stop completely.

Also, do use bicarbonate of soda and surgical spirit to clean up the spray areas-this completely eradicates the smell!

:)
Pam o
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Pam o »

Hi :)
We love in derbyshire . Lovely area for our 3 babies
And I know once we get through this it will be lovely with them :)
So will hang in their and be patient .
Thankyou again for your help :)
Pam x
Alice
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Alice »

Catchat has a behaviourist who can be consulted without charge, by email. I got a very comprehensive reply when I once wrote about a problem I was having.

email to.... [email protected]

This link may also have helpful advice..... http://www.catchat.org/urination.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pinkglitter1
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Pinkglitter1 »

Alice-that is really helpful to know.

Good luck Pam :)
Pam o
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Pam o »

Thankyou :) x