URGENT ADVICE NEEDED

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
jtfife
New Cat Chatter

URGENT ADVICE NEEDED

Post by jtfife »

Hi All,

Just joined the forum as I need long term cat owners opinion and support.

I have 2 cats both under the age of 1. Aoife was bought and several months later we adopted Condie from a local Cat Rescue. Shortly after adopting her, both cats had to be treated for 'flu like' symptoms. It keeps on coming back and Condie is the worst off with constant 'half shut' eyes.

For the past week she has been projectile vomiting a light brown liquid sometimes once or twice a day. No coughing, retching, wheezing. Just comes spraying out.

She is currently at the vets being treated for dehydration. They have said she has perked up over night and hasn't been sick BUT I explained to them that she can go a while day without vomiting.

Her gums are bright red also.

Surely the swollen eyes, red gums and this unusual vomiting is all tied in together????

I've demanded blood tests, I know there's something wrong with her and fed up of being dismissed.

Advice or similar experience would be very much appreciated right now. xxxx
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: URGENT ADVICE NEEDED

Post by Lilith »

Hi there, there will be people far more clued up than me on here, but what you describe sounds (to me at any rate) possibly like some sort of allergy. I've never seen these symptoms occurring together and in this way in a lifetime of cats, or heard of them either, and I've known breeders and cat rescue people who had outbreaks of infection and disease, and of course every cat person picks up knowledge of disease along the way, but this is totally new to me and I too would be very interested to know what it could be.

Do they go outside at all and what kind of area are you in? Could they be coming into contact with chemicals used on farmland, for instance?

Sorry if you've considered all this already. I'm not surprised you're dissatisfied with the vet's approach; in your place I'd be doing my nut. Is there any way you could approach another vet (though I realise this can be expensive and depends if there's another vet at a convenient distance.)

I do hope someone on here can shed more light on this and that some way is found to solve Aoife's and Condie's problems. All the very very best with them.
jtfife
New Cat Chatter

Post by jtfife »

Thank you for your reply!

Both cats are neutered, vaccinated and never allowed outdoors.

Vets are currently taking bloods and xraying her stomach. They have said that the flu like symptoms are not connected with the vomiting....I hope they are right.

Putting a claim through to the pet insurers asap as the bill is so far £400 and that's before xrays and bloods!
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

a very long shot, but the redness of the gums immediately made me think of carbon monoxide poisoning - check out the listed chronic symptoms here http://www.petmd.com/cat/conditions/res ... _toxicosis" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Meandmymunki
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Meandmymunki »

The flu like symptoms and red gums sounds like calici virus which they can swab test for but treatment is limited. Antibiotics, sometimes teeth removal to help the gums and a drug called interferon is often used.
The vomiting won't be related though. However a hypoallergenic diet or even just cereal free can help reduce the redness in the gums and also help their digestion as cereal is in a lot of cat food and causes many cats a problem.
Masuru
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Masuru »

Hello there.

Question number 1. What is cat's body temperature?.. In such cases it would be the first thing to check...

Question number 2. How is the other cat doing and what do they both eat?

Did you get the blood test and x-ray results?

Allergy might be the case here, but after your description of the VET it seems you are not in the right hands :( Is there no better vet in your place? Both infection and allergy are hard to treat if you start very late...

Vaccination does not prevent infection to come, and even if your cat stays indoors you can still bring infection on your shoes. So that cannot be excluded as well...
jtfife
New Cat Chatter

Post by jtfife »

Masuru wrote:Hello there.

Question number 1. What is cat's body temperature?.. In such cases it would be the first thing to check...

Question number 2. How is the other cat doing and what do they both eat?

Did you get the blood test and x-ray results?

Allergy might be the case here, but after your description of the VET it seems you are not in the right hands :( Is there no better vet in your place? Both infection and allergy are hard to treat if you start very late...

Vaccination does not prevent infection to come, and even if your cat stays indoors you can still bring infection on your shoes. So that cannot be excluded as well...
Apologies for my late response.

Condies temperature was fine, she was just a little dehydrated.

Ultrasound, blood tests and xrays all came back normal.

Brought her home and yet again has been sick at least once a day. It isn't as much as before, a small amount of clear/faintly coloured yellow liquid.

Both cats are on Applaws dry food, have a cat fountain and are given wet food occasionally as they don't tend to like it and waste a lot (tried every type of wet food under the sun!!!)

She is active, bright and very happy apart from the sporadic vomiting.

I'm going to keep a note of when she is sick and see if it gets better.

This is such a worry and frustrating that we don't know what is wrong!
Cussypat1974
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Cussypat1974 »

I am afraid I have no ideas for you, but would agree that if you are unhappy with the vet, then find one you are more comfortable with for sure.
I have a little man here who is doing similar vomiting and did have flu symptoms, but doesn't have congested gums......
jtfife
New Cat Chatter

Post by jtfife »

Cussypat1974 wrote:I am afraid I have no ideas for you, but would agree that if you are unhappy with the vet, then find one you are more comfortable with for sure.
I have a little man here who is doing similar vomiting and did have flu symptoms, but doesn't have congested gums......
Gums are now back to normal and flu like symptoms gone. It is just the vomiting I need to get to the bottom of.

We are going to take her off Applaws for a few days and feed her wet food only to see if its IBD/IBS.
Cussypat1974
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Cussypat1974 »

My vomiting boy was diagnosed with kidney failure today. Not sure what bloods you had done, but my Locky is two years old, and it is not a usual thing to look for in a cat that age. He will be PTS this week to avoid suffering. Your vet seems pretty thorough, and so is mine, but this was more of a surprise to her than to me I think.
hgale
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by hgale »

I'm sorry to hear about poor Locky, I'm sending him a big cuddle and a hug for you, Cussypat.

I hope your cats are ok soon too Jtfife (sorry I haven't any experience or advice to offer). My friends cat Elmo has just had to start a new diet too as she's been poorly - she's been quite stubborn about it apparently!
Cussypat1974
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Cussypat1974 »

Locky had a reprieve and is still with us, but is not a well cat at all. We are trying to get him sorted out. Any updates from your side?
SarahTownie
New Cat Chatter

Post by SarahTownie »

Have you any new update if your cat is IBD or IBS? I am slightly going through similar situation and am very curious. I hope your cat is doing better!