Login attempts

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Login attempts

Post by Crewella »

Just thought this worth mentioning - I've not been on much in the last few days as I've been busy at work, but when I tried to login I got the following message:

"You exceeded the maximum allowed number of login attempts. In addition to your username and password you now also have to solve the CAPTCHA below."

It's happened a couple of times before, and it's odd as I've definitely not had any failed login attemts at all!
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Login attempts

Post by greenkitty »

Ditto...
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Do you have CC on your favourites page? I have and I can't remember the last time I had to 'log in'. Don't know if that helps - or even makes sense!
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Lilith »

Me too, happens all the time. The first time I thought I'd done something wrong but I think it might be an automatic thing to defeat the spambots.
Alice
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Alice »

I just stay logged in all the time. :)

Is there any good reason to keep logging off and on?
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

I have the password saved too, which is why I know I've not ever done it wrong!

No reason to keep logging on and off that I can think of. I do sort of stay logged in all the time, but my pooter runs a cleaner every time I boot up that clears cookies and temp files, so I have to log in when I first switch on.

Well, at least it's not just me! Thanks. :)
YogiBoy
Site Admin

Post by YogiBoy »

Hello,

Hmmm... that's happened to me too, and I'm supposed to be an admin... hahaha!!
I'll get someone to look into this, and see if we can find out why it happens - it never used to - seems like only recently - I will report back!

Love
Yogi
xxxx
YogiBoy
Site Admin

Post by YogiBoy »

Okey dokey, think we know why this has started happening recently - very probably since 10th April...

There was an extra programme installed by our webhosts on Friday 10th April to minimise the load on the server when large amounts of people all visit at once. Nothing at all to do with the forum, but something in that programme has affected something in the forum programme, which can result in the additional logins sometimes needed when logging in fresh.

It may possibly cure this problem, if you clear the 'board cookies' on you computer - just click the 'Delete all board cookies' link at the bottom of the forum front page, underneath the topics list.

If that doesn't help and if any of your are finding this is too annoying, and it's becoming a problem - please say, and we'll ask the techies if anything can be done!!!

Love & Purrs
Yogi
xxxx
nannymcfee
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by nannymcfee »

Happened to me too often, .

I have deleted the cookies as suggested ( i too had 'remember my password ' still have i hope ! )
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

It's interesting, Yogiboy, that right after this thread, when I posted that I thought it was an automatic thing to deter spambots, when I next logged in I got the inevitable quiz...but with the new announcement that this was to deter spambots...

Could it be that hackers or AIs are having a bit of a giggle?

The thick plottens....
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

I swear I didn't see that post re deleting cookies - and sorry if I sounded paranoid but years ago I was on a forum where I actually did get a hacker (however the mention of hackers and AIs WAS meant as a joke in this case lol.)

However, just now deleted the cookies...it logged me out.

Logged back in again - and I got the quiz again...I can hear all the little spambots and gremlins giggling...shurrup you lot.

But it doesn't matter, honest :)
YogiBoy
Site Admin

Post by YogiBoy »

The thick certainly does plotten...

A few weeks ago it was taking me 3 attempts to log in (and having to do the quiz) but lately I've been logging in first time with no probs. Hmmm!!!

We're pretty sure it's not hackers, almost certain it's to do with the un-related new programme put in in April. We'll need to do some investigating and tech-bothering :ugeek: methinks, unfortunately it won't be straight away - but will do as sooooooooooon as human and felinely possible! Please bear with us!! :)

Enjoy the weekend - keep cool!
Love
Yogi
xx
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Thank you for looking into this, though my main concern was the dreaded hackers ... and you've allayed my fears on that.

For the record, I logged in first time tonight. :)
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

... and again. :)
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Yay! :D
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

It happened again this morning.

For the record, I'm not complaining, just reporting back.
nannymcfee
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by nannymcfee »

Happened already twice this morning.... is there a full moon? :D
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Well folks, at least your 'pooters are working. Mine has developed an irritating habit of going competely blank on me half way ........ through a sentence.

OH keeps threatening to get his (even more techy than him) friend to look at it. He is very good but has an annoying habit of re-setting everything to factory settings and changing the screen saver to one of his photos.

There will be trouble if I don't see Poppy's little face when I get it back. So if it suddenly goes quiet in Fermanagh - that's why!
Mrs Kane
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mrs Kane »

Bobbys girl: Is your computer crashing or just freezing up? I am pretty okay with computers and I have a friend who installs software for the government so if you have an issue we should be able to help (even if my friend has a dog, and not a cat. :P )
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Thanks for the offer, but I think it's just a (physical) connection problem. There is a tiny crack in the case near a hinge and if I open the thing beyond a certain degree the screen goes blank. Trouble is it is getting worse - the degree is getting smaller!
YogiBoy
Site Admin

Post by YogiBoy »

I promise we haven't forgotten about this - it's one of the top things on the list, (with a big *urgent star by it!)

Thank you for the updates/feedback. I will report back....

have a great weekend, keep cool!
Love & Purrs
Yogi
xx
Cussypat1974
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Cussypat1974 »

It happens to me a lot! Doesn't bother me too much though, as I am pretty useless at passwords and am used to jumping through hoops! It happened to me yesterday, but not today. It certainly wouldn't put me off coming on here. X
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Thanks for the update, Yogi.

I feel a bit guilty for starting this thread as I really don't mind all that much and I don't want to be putting pressure on you guys - you do enough already! I had just noticed it and wondered what it was all about - as everyone else has said, it wouldn't stop me coming on here. If you fix it, great, if you don't then I'll live with it! :D

Sue, I hope your pooter is fixed, but it does sound like a dodgy connection. And I hope you do get to see Poppy's little face on its return - I'd throw a HUUUUGE hissy fit if someone reset mine to factory default!! :shock:
Cussypat1974
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Cussypat1974 »

I am glad you started it Crewella, as I thought it was just me being more rubbish than normal! Ha ha ha!
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Oh good - thanks, that does make me feel better! xx
YogiBoy
Site Admin

Post by YogiBoy »

Hi Crewella,

Please don't feel bad about raising this, it's good you did, as we didn't realise others were having the same problem (thought it was just one of our humans being dim, which is usually a pretty fair bet..!)

We have raised a query ticket about this with our server hosts this afternoon, as it's definitely to do with the programme they installed for us in April, and no one here has a clue how to change that! So fingers crossed!!! I will report back...

Love & Purrs
YogiBoy
xxxxxx
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Thank you - I do feel better! :)
YogiBoy
Site Admin

Re: Login attempts - (hope solved)

Post by YogiBoy »

Hello!

Hopefully - this issue should now be solved - fingers crossed!!!!

As at 12.12pm today, our web hosts have made a change to the programme they installed in April, which we hope will solve the issue of having to login more than once, as some of you have been experiencing.

If you do find you still have this issue, before reporting it here, could you first try refreshing your browser and also deleting the board cookies (see one of my earlier posts), and try again? That should mean that your browser isn't holding the old version of the page.

As I say - fingers crossed - we hope this will solve the problem - please post here to let us know!!

Love & Purrs
YogiBoy
xxxx
nannymcfee
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by nannymcfee »

bobbys girl wrote:Well folks, at least your 'pooters are working. Mine has developed an irritating habit of going competely blank on me half way ........ through a sentence.

OH keeps threatening to get his (even more techy than him) friend to look at it. He is very good but has an annoying habit of re-setting everything to factory settings and changing the screen saver to one of his photos.

There will be trouble if I don't see Poppy's little face when I get it back. So if it suddenly goes quiet in Fermanagh - that's why!
Bobbys girl, is your laptop a Dell Inspiron, as we had the same problems i used to have to open it slowly to a certain angle or press on screen in top left corner all time ! ( it was still under a year old first time it happened ) sent it back on 3 occasions, and each time 'fixed' the blank/black screen ,they even replaced the screen, but it cost well over £50 the last time as it was JUST out of warrantry and they kept it ages, and within a week it happened again.It is a fault with certain models, ours is gathering dust now :0) as i nearly threw it through window.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

nannymcfee wrote: as i nearly threw it through window.
Oooh, I know that feeling. No mine is a Compaq. There is a tiny crack in the case at a weak spot near the left hinge. If the angle is more than 90' (can't do degrees!) the screen goes blank. A minor irritation - but sometimes that's all it takes.......

Hope the log in problem is fixed.