6 months on..

Help & Support for those who have lost a beloved cat
Joanne_
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

6 months on..

Post by Joanne_ »

It has been 6 month today since my beloved Jimmy was pts and nearly 6 months since our beloved Erik was ran over. People say time is a healer but honestly so far the pain is just as raw as the days it all happened. I would say I was more at peace with Jimmy's death since it was expected... but Eriks haunts me everyday. I still cry over them almost daily.... I just miss them endlessly...

Jimmy
jimmy.jpg
jimmy.jpg (105.73 KiB) Viewed 4845 times

Erik
Erik.jpg
Erik.jpg (91.33 KiB) Viewed 4845 times
Hannah1980
Frequent Cat Chatter

Re: 6 months on..

Post by Hannah1980 »

Joanne -

I'm so sorry to hear of your losses. What beautiful cats you had! It always saddens me to read about any animals passing but I wanted to post a reply - I don't post here much but after I lost my beloved cat last August, I found the support here amazing.

I completely understand when you say about the pain being just as raw even though time has passed - I still cry about the loss of my cat (he died following a cat fight - jeez even typing this I am welling up).

Missing them is completely normal - it is also really hard to cope with - I believe that pets are family - I had a strong bond with my cat and still struggle without him.

It is also understandable that you were more at peace with Jimmys death as it was expected - but when a death comes out of the blue it can hit like a ton of bricks.

With me it felt, and still does feel like I lost my baby - I don't have children and we lived together for the 4 years that I had him.

The pictures that you posted are adorable - my cat was a ginger just like your Erik and I am thankful for the pictures that I have of him.

If it helps to do so, please feel free to talk about your cats or how you are feeling - I'm sure everyone here will understand how you are feeling x
Mrs Kane
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mrs Kane »

I echo what Hannah so wonderfully put. We're always here if you need to talk Joanna.

It's hard when you lose something dear to you, but even more so when it's unexpected. The only thing I can recommend is to keep going as best you can and keep remembering. At the moment it's hard but soon that pain will give way and you'll just remember all the good and funny and even the annoying little moments you had together. The pain won't go away completely, but that shows how much you loved both Jimmy and Erik.

Remember the fun, it'll keep you going.
Joanne_
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joanne_ »

Hannah1980 wrote:Joanne -

I'm so sorry to hear of your losses. What beautiful cats you had! It always saddens me to read about any animals passing but I wanted to post a reply - I don't post here much but after I lost my beloved cat last August, I found the support here amazing.

I completely understand when you say about the pain being just as raw even though time has passed - I still cry about the loss of my cat (he died following a cat fight - jeez even typing this I am welling up).

Missing them is completely normal - it is also really hard to cope with - I believe that pets are family - I had a strong bond with my cat and still struggle without him.

It is also understandable that you were more at peace with Jimmys death as it was expected - but when a death comes out of the blue it can hit like a ton of bricks.

With me it felt, and still does feel like I lost my baby - I don't have children and we lived together for the 4 years that I had him.

The pictures that you posted are adorable - my cat was a ginger just like your Erik and I am thankful for the pictures that I have of him.

If it helps to do so, please feel free to talk about your cats or how you are feeling - I'm sure everyone here will understand how you are feeling x

Thank you for taking the time to reply. Sorry about your loss too. How did he die from the fight? My cat Ted came home today covered in scratches and blood from fighting.

I keep telling myself that despite what happened to Erik he still had a good life but I still feel totally robbed of him.
Joanne_
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joanne_ »

Mrs Kane wrote:I echo what Hannah so wonderfully put. We're always here if you need to talk Joanna.

It's hard when you lose something dear to you, but even more so when it's unexpected. The only thing I can recommend is to keep going as best you can and keep remembering. At the moment it's hard but soon that pain will give way and you'll just remember all the good and funny and even the annoying little moments you had together. The pain won't go away completely, but that shows how much you loved both Jimmy and Erik.

Remember the fun, it'll keep you going.

Thank you for also replying. Hopefully it will ease one day.
Hannah1980
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Hannah1980 »

Thank you for taking the time to reply. Sorry about your loss too. How did he die from the fight? My cat Ted came home today covered in scratches and blood from fighting.

I keep telling myself that despite what happened to Erik he still had a good life but I still feel totally robbed of him.[/quote]

Hi Joanne -

To be honest, I am not 100% sure of how my Jasper died - the lady who found him and took him to the vets said about it possibly being a heart attack, and as for the vets - well they denied he was ever there for over 2 months and when I found out he had been there and on top of that been cremated I still never found out. He did however get into 2 cat fights back in 2012 which resulted in him becoming extremely poorly - I knew he didn't get on great with a neighbours cat but noticed one evening that he was extremely lethargic so I took him to an out of hours vets and he had to be kept in overnight. I was told that he had marks on him and his claws had been damaged which obviously pointed towards it being a cat fight - less than a month later the same thing happened and he needed anti-biotics.

The lady who took him to the vets said that she had heard a horrible loud noise which had alerted her to go outside and see what was happening and my cat was in the car park outside where I live and had the other cats fur on him :(

Cats will fight unfortunately but I never realised that it can lead to high temperature and them becoming so ill (and I do wonder now, even though Jasper had yearly check ups and vaccinations whether there was a possible heart condition which hadn't been picked up). I hope your Ted is ok - it's not nice when cats fight - from the experience I had I would just keep an eye out for any lethargy with him which if that happens it could point to an infection.

I can understand when you say that you feel robbed of Erik - car accidents are always a worry with cats and I know I used to pray that Jasper wouldn't go out into the road and get hit. Jasper was just over 4 years old when he died and I did and do still feel robbed because in my mind I thought he would live until 15-20 (my mums cat was 21 when we had to have him pts in 2011). In an idea world, cats, animals and humans would live until old age and die peacefully in their sleep but life doesn't work like that and can seem so cruel.

Yesterday was 4 years since I lost my Mum to cancer and I cried lots, not just for my Mum but for my cat because he knew how to make me smile - he literally saved me. I know that it still hurts like hell without Jasper even though next month it will be a year since he passed (although I only found out at the end of October) - It still hurts a lot, I still cry but it has eased a little and the emotions are not quite as intense as they were. I do hope that things get a little easier for you (and for me) - I never realised the intense pain of losing an animal would be like - my cat was my first pet I had who was just mine (I'm almost 35!) - we had lots of animals growing up and it was really tough when they died but I had such a strong bond with Jasper. x
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I do remember when you lost Jimmy, and then Erik - really tough to lose both like that in such a short space of time. It's no wonder that you are still grieveing, but it really will ease with time - beatiful cats, both of them. (((hugs)))
Joanne_
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joanne_ »

Oh that's awful:( Poor Jasper. Ted has a fight at least 2-3 times a week (that we see anyways) He is terrible. Hope his hormones will settle as he ages.

Erik had not long gone 6 so he was young also. So unfair as my first cat lived to 18/19ish. I just pray the two I currently have live a long healthy life. I find I worry a lot more after Erik as Ted I an outdoor cat and is always crossing the road! I always say to him 'what have I told you about crossing the road' :lol:

Sorry about your mum too:( I think at times our emotions just build up and we need a good cry. I had a good cry the other day over my boys and my nan who died not long after them:(
Hannah1980 wrote:
Hi Joanne -

To be honest, I am not 100% sure of how my Jasper died - the lady who found him and took him to the vets said about it possibly being a heart attack, and as for the vets - well they denied he was ever there for over 2 months and when I found out he had been there and on top of that been cremated I still never found out. He did however get into 2 cat fights back in 2012 which resulted in him becoming extremely poorly - I knew he didn't get on great with a neighbours cat but noticed one evening that he was extremely lethargic so I took him to an out of hours vets and he had to be kept in overnight. I was told that he had marks on him and his claws had been damaged which obviously pointed towards it being a cat fight - less than a month later the same thing happened and he needed anti-biotics.

The lady who took him to the vets said that she had heard a horrible loud noise which had alerted her to go outside and see what was happening and my cat was in the car park outside where I live and had the other cats fur on him :(

Cats will fight unfortunately but I never realised that it can lead to high temperature and them becoming so ill (and I do wonder now, even though Jasper had yearly check ups and vaccinations whether there was a possible heart condition which hadn't been picked up). I hope your Ted is ok - it's not nice when cats fight - from the experience I had I would just keep an eye out for any lethargy with him which if that happens it could point to an infection.

I can understand when you say that you feel robbed of Erik - car accidents are always a worry with cats and I know I used to pray that Jasper wouldn't go out into the road and get hit. Jasper was just over 4 years old when he died and I did and do still feel robbed because in my mind I thought he would live until 15-20 (my mums cat was 21 when we had to have him pts in 2011). In an idea world, cats, animals and humans would live until old age and die peacefully in their sleep but life doesn't work like that and can seem so cruel.

Yesterday was 4 years since I lost my Mum to cancer and I cried lots, not just for my Mum but for my cat because he knew how to make me smile - he literally saved me. I know that it still hurts like hell without Jasper even though next month it will be a year since he passed (although I only found out at the end of October) - It still hurts a lot, I still cry but it has eased a little and the emotions are not quite as intense as they were. I do hope that things get a little easier for you (and for me) - I never realised the intense pain of losing an animal would be like - my cat was my first pet I had who was just mine (I'm almost 35!) - we had lots of animals growing up and it was really tough when they died but I had such a strong bond with Jasper. x
Joanne_
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joanne_ »

Crewella wrote:I do remember when you lost Jimmy, and then Erik - really tough to lose both like that in such a short space of time. It's no wonder that you are still grieveing, but it really will ease with time - beatiful cats, both of them. (((hugs)))
Thank you. I think the first year will be the hardest, birthdays without them, Christmas without them etc
tilly
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by tilly »

Its almost 6 months since my cat was ran over too.....i still miss him every day and i wish i could turn the clocks back so i could have done things differently. The pain is different i suppose to the pain i felt the days and weeks after it happened but i really wish he was still here with me.
Joanne_
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joanne_ »

tilly wrote:Its almost 6 months since my cat was ran over too.....i still miss him every day and i wish i could turn the clocks back so i could have done things differently. The pain is different i suppose to the pain i felt the days and weeks after it happened but i really wish he was still here with me.

Done things different how?

For me on that day I was sick. So usually when I would be up shouting all my cats in throughout the day to see that they were okay instead I was in bed ill. So I always think about how if I had not been sick their is a possibility he would be still here, but who knows:(