Hills yd food.

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Meandmymunki
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Hills yd food.

Post by Meandmymunki »

A feral cat I rehomed to someone was recently diagnosed with over active thyroid, medicating was difficult so once stabilised he had surgery to remove the gland, unfortunately when owners collected him the vet said other was enlarged but they left it, so now 2 months on symptoms have returned, the poor cat is extremely stressed so his new owner decided to try y/d, he seems to like it and within a week symptoms have practically disappeared, she is concerned however incase the food can send them the other way and make them have under active thyroid. It's not something I have any experience of, can anyone on here help?
Thank you.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Re: Hills yd food.

Post by MarkB »

Apparently an underactive thyroid (Hypothyroidism) is very rare and the body can normally compensate. I'm not sure about Y/D food as you have to feed it exclusively. I know mine wouldn't eat the same food all the time.

I suppose feeding it is no different to giving a set dose of thyroid meds every day. My Lazarus tends to go up & down and we sometimes have to adjust the dose. I have his T4 done every 6 months unless he shows signs of going one way or the other. They end to get lethargic and 'depressed' looking if they go hypo.
Meandmymunki
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Meandmymunki »

Thanks mark, I really don't understand it tbh, she said he went under when first on meds before surgery, so they reduced meds, but I'm assuming it wouldn't be possible to go under from the food..... But his new owner seems to think he could? I've had cats with every other medical condition but not thyroid so can't really help her on this one. My cats wouldn't eat same food either but apparently he is ok with it so far. Be shame for him to have to have surgery again so soon.
catsue
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by catsue »

Do you know why the vet didn't remove both sides if the other one was also enlarged. Bigger operation but we've had to have it done several times and the cats have always been okay.
Meandmymunki
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Meandmymunki »

No, they just gave the info after the surgery so too late. Now his option is in and out for meds and eventual surgery, or the yd.