can any microchip cat flaps keep a cat inside?

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

can any microchip cat flaps keep a cat inside?

Post by MarkB »

I was planning to buy a large Sureflap, but noticed on the spec that it says 'Selective entry, any animal can exit' - I want one that will keep Ingrid in, so that is no good to me.

I would like to have cat proofing done at some point, but in the meantime, I want Ingrid to just have supervised outdoor time.
hgale
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: can any microchip cat flaps keep a cat inside?

Post by hgale »

I have a Sureflap Mark, and it does have a 4 way manual selector lock on it (which on the "lock" functions overrides the chip system), so you can still choose entry and exit, entry or exit, or no entry and exit. Useful for when I have to take Denver to the Vet! They are a very good flap. Hope that helps.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

Thanks Helen.

I really wanted one where Kylie, Domino and Kasper could come and go as they wanted, but i could keep Ingrid in. I had assumed that if you didn't activate the chip of one of the cats, you could keep it in, but it seems that isn't the case.
hgale
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by hgale »

Sorry Mark, I misunderstood.

Its true that if you don't program a chip into the memory the flap won't let a cat in, but the chip only works one way (entry) so unless you lock the flap for exit (which means Kylie, Domino and Kasper won't be able to exit either), it will still let the cat out. Its a safety feature in case a cat forces it open when not programmed. And I don't recommend installing it backwards either - you'll get a wet battery compartment that won't work plus every Tom, Dick, Harry and Fluffy visiting (and trapped)!!!

Hope you can sort something out to everyones benefit!
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

Mark, this one does as far as I can make out

https://www.sureflap.com/en-gb/pet-door ... p-cat-flap" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

Thanks RIa. I will compare the size of it to the standard one we have now. I was hoping to get the large to make it easier for Dom, although he does manage to get through as basic cat flap somehow - I certainly wouldn't want it any smaller than that.

I really am going to have to push cat proofing with OH. Kasper wanted to go out a while ago but I couldn't let him as Ingrid was there.

PS Helen - Backwards installation did cross my mind, but you pointed out why that won't work :)
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

You won't regret cat proofing, Mark. Really push it with OH as a priority now you have cats with different needs. Ours was done by Protectapuss shortly after we moved in 16 months ago but our garden is very straightforward and we have now designed the garden around the cat proofing rather than having any awkward trees, roofs or hedges to negotiate. So ours wasn't that expensive. I know Jan C (Eric and George) had a quotation from them for a more complicated set up and it was very dear but the company can sell you the materials to measure and you can then do it yourself. The materials are very good quality. We did spend the first two months here letting Pepsi out and keeping Edgar and Lou Lou in which was a shame for them, especially when I saw Edgar looking mournfully out of an upstairs window!
Sue Goddard
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Sue Goddard »

One reason for not installing back to front is that the hood that houses the coil that picks up the microchip sticks out 6" from the wall...!
kev1949
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by kev1949 »

I got the Cat Mate Elite. Can be programmed any way you want. So can program it locked exit. Only problem I had was that because the three males were chipped when young, grew more body fat and fur that now prevents the chip from being read. So they have to have a programmable disc on their collar. However, the female is a small cat, not as fat as the others, and is short haired. So the chip works well with the cat flap.