Pet supermarket have gone into liquidation!

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Joanne_
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Pet supermarket have gone into liquidation!

Post by Joanne_ »

Have just seen loads of angry customers with no orders post on their fb page. So if you have an order and do not receive it you need to contact your bank.
Marla
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Pet supermarket have gone into liquidation!

Post by Marla »

The same parent company owns Medicanimal.com. The same situation there apparently.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

I didn't know they had gone under, but I stopped using them well over a year ago, after waiting about 10 days for an order. There are 4 or 5 companies all in the same group. One is called Petmeds or similar.

I normally order from Viovet these days as they are so reliable.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Lilith »

OMG - I was getting round to ordering some Royal Canin Fibre Response from them but left it till the weekend and kept getting a message that their website was closed for maintenance...seems like I had a narrow squeak!

Hope no-one on here's been affected.

I can't remember just what they charged for FR but it was cheaper than the last lot I bought which came via Amazon from Barcelona with a delivery charge of about £5.

Have just found it on Amazon, £33 for 4 kilos, free delivery -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004 ... ge_o00_s00" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Did find it same price/delivery on Zooplus but when I checked today, nothing, search came up blank. Hope they're not discontinuing this very good product - my Mouse has been a different cat since she started on it.

If anyone else has more info, knows of better price deal, please let me know :)

It's a great shame when these big warehouses go bust - a few years back there was Surrey Pet Supplies - a boon for us snake owners, but they sold at over-competitive prices and ended up going under, alas.

Hope everyone gets their money back from PS.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

Yes, Bestpet and Petmeds are part of the same group http://www.londonlovesbusiness.com/entr ... 38.article" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lil - Surprisingly, Pets at home are one of the cheapest for Fibre Response. A while since I bought any, but it seems that is still the case - only online though, but pretty quick delivery :) http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/ ... ne-only%29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PS - I'm sure that Zooplus have never sold it, as I order about once a month from them and always had to order the Fibre Response elsewhere.
Last edited by MarkB on Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Marla
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Marla »

Interesting article, Mark!
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

Yes it seems huge, with millions invested - who knows what happens to these companies?

I remember there was another one a few years back that went under. I made a narrow escape. I forget what it was called. I used to get 10-packs of Catac Catnip sacks for Alice from them.
Joanne_
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joanne_ »

I know I always order Henrys gastro food from them as they do the 12 packs where most do 48. Does anyone else know of any reliable places?
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

I can't fault Viovet. You can select the despatch day, so know when it is going to arrive. I also usually pay an extra £1 (I think) for the parcel to be sent by DPD. On the day, they send you and email with a one-hour delivery time slot - so painless :)
Joanne_
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joanne_ »

I just looked on there and they only do 48 pouches. I found a site called monster pet supplies. Any one have experience with them?
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

Joanne_ wrote:I just looked on there and they only do 48 pouches. I found a site called monster pet supplies. Any one have experience with them?
Vet UK is the only place I've seen do individual boxes rather than 4 boxes, it isn't as cheap but I sometimes do it to give Buster a flavour change
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

Waitrose Pet do the 12's http://www.waitrosepet.com/cat/wet-cat- ... -100g-x-48" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Vick7000
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Vick7000 »

Brilliant. Ordered over £50 worth of food for my old lady cat on Thursday. Had to have her put to sleep on Friday. Tried to cancel the order, but the web page said down for maintenance. I sent an email to the sales department on Saturday, but got automated reply about being busy. *sigh*
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

MarkB wrote:Yes, Bestpet and Petmeds are part of the same group http://www.londonlovesbusiness.com/entr ... 38.article" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lil - Surprisingly, Pets at home are one of the cheapest for Fibre Response. A while since I bought any, but it seems that is still the case - only online though, but pretty quick delivery :) http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/ ... ne-only%29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PS - I'm sure that Zooplus have never sold it, as I order about once a month from them and always had to order the Fibre Response elsewhere.
Lol Mark - you're right about Zooplus - I happened to look up Viovet and realised that THAT was where I'd seen the RF - recognised the format, so why I thought it was Zooplus, don't know...

Ha - a pity PaH don't sell it instore - I'm almost next door to a huge PAH. I order stuff via Amazon when I can as you do have a degree of comeback if anything goes wrong and the suppliers are all keen to maintain their 5* status. I've only ever had one bad experience (with a pc charger) and I got a refund. The downside is waiting in unless you have an obliging neighbour but I'm at home all the time so it's not too bad. I like the sound of the Viovet delivery setup though and will check out the PAH site - thanks :)

Vick - VERY sorry to hear, both about the loss of your girl (hugs) and now this horrible business. Do hope you get your money back!
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

I'm pretty sure you can do click and collect with Pets at Home - takes a couple of days. I think Zooplus do some very basic prescription food, like renal, but a very limited range.

Vick - sorry about your girl - the messy business with Petsupermarket isn't good either. Hopefully you will be covered with your debit/credit card. I would definitely get the ball rolling with the bank ASAP.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

I buy Fibre Response from VetUK, as I like their inhouse cystitis capsules, so combine the two

the demise of pet-supermarket is a wake up call though, as there has been a big proliferation of online pet meds suppliers, and there may well be more casualties

I always feel safer if I can pay through Paypal
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

A couple of people have posted on Pet-Supermarket Facebook page that you can get your money back if you paid by debit card (and I assume, credit card too)

This is one of them "Apparently if you paid by debit card you can ask your bank to ask for a'chargeback'. However, Yorkshire bank have told me I have to wait 30 days from date of payment before requesting this so not hopeful. Others may have better luck"

I never really understood why they ran several companies selling the same products.

PS - Kay, I always used VetUK, but after a string of issues (late delivery, wrong products sent, out of date cat food sent) and a stroppy email they sent because I posted about my gripes on Purrs (Tan defended me and said I was entitled to post about suppliers, whether I had good or bad things to say about them :) ), I would never again order from them. Oddly, very recently, after about a 4 year gap, I started getting marketing emails from them again . I have unsubcribed. I would never order from them again.
Last edited by MarkB on Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
pandorawarlord
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by pandorawarlord »

Don't know if this will help anybody else but I found medicines4pets.co.uk they had a order to me within 3 days. What I liked was a good varied range of products in different sizes as well as being reasonable in prices, plus when you speak to the staff most of them have veterinary training and I have found out that the website has been set up by the RCVS
Joanne_
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joanne_ »

so pet supermarket website is back up and running:\ does this mean they are back in business?
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

Maybe they got a cash injection, or the administrators have sold the company. I don't fancy risking it! - especially if no explanation has been given.

Their other sites seem to be up & running too.

Edit - I just checked Medicanimal Facebook page. People are saying that the company has been sold and that people that lost their money will be receiving refunds within 7 days + £10 credit. Apparently they were told by the administrators that they could not communicate with customers.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I usually get my prescription foods and supplements from Animed Direct as their pricing seems good and I ilke their 'if out leave safe' option on deliveries. Never had a problem with them, and I had a brief panic when I read this post in case they were part of the same group, but I don't think they are.
Joanne_
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joanne_ »

MarkB wrote:Maybe they got a cash injection, or the administrators have sold the company. I don't fancy risking it! - especially if no explanation has been given.

Their other sites seem to be up & running too.

Edit - I just checked Medicanimal Facebook page. People are saying that the company has been sold and that people that lost their money will be receiving refunds within 7 days + £10 credit. Apparently they were told by the administrators that they could not communicate with customers.

ah ok. I prob wont order from them until they are back on track.
Vick7000
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Vick7000 »

I spoke to my bank (Santander) on Friday and they said because I paid via PayPal, it comes under the Direct Debit Agreement, which meant they refunded my money. Yey. 24hrs later, I got an email from Pet Supermarket telling me my purchase was on its way. I emailed back saying please don't send, but as of this morning, it's on its way....
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Would it be possible to tell the carrier that you're refusing delivery because you've cancelled and had assurance of a refund?

I'm not sure of the legal ins and outs of this but it would seem to me you have a good case - if anyone else on here can give more info...please?

All the very best with this - you're having a bad enough time without this problem!
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

I think that legally you can cancel an order within 14 days, but need to return items at your own expense. Only going by what I have heard. I don't know where you would stand if you refused delivery.

This seems to confirm what I thought. You can find a cheap courier to return parcels, but I know it is a faff.

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/ ... line-order" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have only sent a parcel once using one of these companies. I had bought a huge range of renal food for our cat, Clapton, but we lost him shortly after. I had opened most of the food already, but passed them on to Desley. I think I only paid under £5 to send a 25kg parcel and they collected - it was about 5 years ago though. https://www.parcel2go.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

I just love DPD - The reason I like using Zooplus and Viovet - I just got an email saying my delivery will be here tomorrow. Tomorrow morning I will get an email telling me the time the driver will be here (a one-hour time slot) I am out for lunch tomorrow, so I can (as I often do) go in and change the delivery address to the vets next door. The receptionist there doesn't mind :) I have even changed the delivery address an hour before a parcel is due and the driver gets an update.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

That sounds like another good option, Mark - I thought my Amazon delivery (from a pet supplier) was ok and I too got a delivery slot, which arrived on time, very pleased, until I opened the box and found, not the Fibre Response but some Hill's diet for overweight cats!

Straightway emailed and asked if this could be replaced and if the carrier could collect the wrong item - was assured they'd collect on Saturday and deliver the FR on Monday. Would I be notified of collection/delivery slots? I would. So fair enough - mistakes happen but not everyone can put them right so promptly.

Ha. Stayed in all Saturday - nothing. Poor Mousey was down to her last spoonful of FR. Sent another email at teatime. Monday - again nothing. Monday afternoon got an email saying they HADN'T told me collection would happen on Saturday but they were delivering today and would collect. I sent them their damn email about Saturday collection back. 'Oops yes, sorry,' they said. Then the delivery arrived unannounced thank goodness...and the collection. I'd ordered 2 packs so as to have plenty in hand and I was having kittens (lol) for fear of some kind soul sicking up a furball on the box to be returned...so we got there in the end, but aaarggh and grrrr!

I suppose I ought to have made another fuss about not getting notified re delivery but was just glad to see the right stuff arrive. Shame about that particular firm as their prices are good, and I won't name them as they did get it right eventually....well, apart from some ripe language they ended up getting called Godot4pets :lol: but I won't be using them again, it'll be Viovet or PAH.

Oh well. last night there was a loud scampering and yowling - Mousey announcing the arrival of the latest Log.

All was well.

Sorry for rant! :D
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

I completely understand where you are coming from. I had several similar sagas with various suppliers in the past and the reason why I stick to Viovet as they have never let me down. I think it was Medicanimal who took ages to deliver an order. After a week, like you, I was down to a handful of the dry food I needed. When I phoned, I was told that they were waiting for stock of one of the items on my order. The item was non-essential, but had held up my essential item. I had to order a next-day delivery elsewhere and vowed never to use them again. As you say, mistakes happen, but deliberately holding back an order is sloppy at the very least. They should have either sent out the items they had in stock, or at least contacted me.

I have also used Animed Direct without any problems, but they haven't always had what I needed. Maybe their range is larger these days.