I'm scared of my CAT! He attacked! HELP! -- New Dog in Home

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
OMGHELP
Returning Cat Chatter

I'm scared of my CAT! He attacked! HELP! -- New Dog in Home

Post by OMGHELP »

I rescued a very submissive and well behaved puppy. No bounce, just an automatic lapdog. The dog is bigger than the cat. The dog has barely even glanced. The cat came straight at us from behind and attacked us both within 5ft of being inside. The dog and I stayed locked in the bedroom until a friend came and managed to get into the other bedroom. Now, the cat is locked up. This is NOT Fair to any of us. I'm stressed to tears. What do I do, I can't keep one or the other locked up forever. HELP! HELP! HELP! You can also reach me through plzu247 at yahoo and of course .com
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: I'm scared of my CAT! He attacked! HELP! -- New Dog in

Post by Lilith »

Hi and welcome - and very sorry to read about this - it must have been terrifying.

I too once tried to rescue a young dog, after my Alsatian died and before I got two wire haired Jack Russells. It was a disaster. They'd all got on well with the Alsatian but not with the new dog and my largest cat (aka the Beast of Bodmin) attacked him...I had to let him go to a dog rescue. However, since he'd been on death row at a RSPCA kennels and the dog rescue was a no-kill organisation, I suppose it turned out well for him in the end - I do hope so; with the right setup he would have been a great dog. But the whole episode was a total nightmare and I feel for what you're going through. (Funny, the cats were fine with the JR puppies; it was just that particular dog.)

My personal opinion is, in situations like this, that if things don't work out, it's 'last in, first out'. You're all in distress, especially the cat who wonders what's invaded his home. Some cats don't thrive in a multi-pet household and he does sound rather set in his ways. At the same time, it's early days - he MIGHT come round but I think you need to confine the dog more and let the cat have the lion's share of your time and make a big fuss of him, and take it very very gently from there - it's going to need a lot of endurance and patience. It might seem unfair to the dog, but to that cat, you're his world, and he needs reassurance. Make sure he feels he's first with you.

If there is too much stress, then I feel the kindest thing would be to return the dog if the kennels/shelter will have it back - I would certainly ring them and let them know what's happened. Otherwise suss out alternative shelters (easier said than done, I realise!)

From my own experience I would say, if the puppy stays, do keep them well apart at the moment, but other people on here will have tips on settling a dog into a household with cats.

All the very very best - good luck!
Meandmymunki
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Meandmymunki »

Yes you need to back track on the introductions and have the dog confined to a crate or spare room so the cat gets to meet it slowly, with cats its fight or flight and they will attack in fear and sometimes humans will get caught up in it, I have a foster cat at the moment who will attack me if she sees another cat, it's re directed aggression where they get stressed and attack whatever is closest.

If the dog remains calm and you can let them meet gradually while the dog is confined it could still work.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

It must have been a heck of a shock for you! :shock: But look at it from your cat's point of view. A total stranger (and a dog to boot) marches into YOUR house without so much as a by-your-leave!
Meandmymunki wrote:If the dog remains calm and you can let them meet gradually while the dog is confined it could still work.
That sounds a good idea.

I really hope you can make it work, good luck. It is not out of the question that they may end up the best of friends.
nannymcfee
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by nannymcfee »

OMGHELP wrote: HELP! HELP! HELP! You can also reach me through plzu247 at yahoo and of course .com
Might be legitimate but Is it just me been cynical but the email address given sounds dodgy.
OMGHELP
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by OMGHELP »

The email is 100% legitimate. I used to live an alternative lifestyle in which it is a perfectly acceptable id. Since I've gotten out of it, it is the only email id I have that has no email going to it, and I wanted to be able to spot these forum notifications clearly.

Now, plz help me with my CRISIS and stop judging something as silly as an email address!! I am a very tired and distressed individual. Somebody is either yowling at one end of the house, or whimpering at the other. I can't be in 2 places at once so everybody is suffering. I need SERIOUS HELP! And taking the dog back to the shelter or rehoming her is NOT an option.

If the cat gets out of his area of the house, I will have no choice but to drug him in order to take the dog out to potty. That's why I'm here asking. I don't want to give him diazepam, but it looks like I am going to have to go that route.

Any help, is appreciated.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

I think everyone is trying to help - insofar as we can at a distance. I realise some suggestions may not work for you in your situation, which is clearly very difficult.

Also, you're very stressed out and it sounds as if the animals are picking up on your stress, which is making things worse for you all. It's a vicious circle. So (although this may seem obvious) you need to do whatever it is that helps you to calm down and hopefully get some sleep (sleep deprivation is the WORST - it makes the whole world look black!) Again sorry if this seems like an all too obvious suggestion but it could be a good starting point.

As to the diazepam. The immediate effects of diazepam are calming - but over time it has the opposite effect - it can cause extreme volatility and irritability - and of course the dose gets upped to relieve the volatility...another vicious circle. Also using it as and when causes withdrawal effects; if it has to be taken a regular dose is safer - but the volatility is still a danger. I do have first hand knowledge of this; I'm not just being pious and anti-tranks for the sake of it. Also I once knew someone who used to dose her (large) dogs with it before a show - one of them ended up in a very bad state and had to be put down after it attacked her child. So I truly don't feel diazepam would calm your cat - it could actually up his aggression. Quite apart from it not being designed for animals.

There is an animal tranquilliser called Zylkene; you don't need a script to buy it and it's organic; I've read good reports of it; some people on here have had good results with it for their cats. Also there's a range of products called Feliway - there's a spray and a plug-in pheromone gadget which I've also seen good reports of, to calm down agitated or stressed animals. Other people on here will be more knowledgeable than me about this.

Again, I know it's very easy for me just to offer suggestions when you're tired out and frantic but please remember we've all been there done that - settling a new animal into the house can be exhausting even if everything's going well. We do know what you're going through and do please keep in touch. All the very best.
nannymcfee
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by nannymcfee »

Sorry re email address !

You haven't said where you are based, and going by the times you post are you in USA? there may be someone on here who may be able to point you in right direction for help, ( only a few on here are based outside UK )
OMGHELP
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by OMGHELP »

I am in the US on EST. Or Greenwich time - 5hr.

I have now started posting "Chaos Central Update" to my friends on Facebook. I dont remember the last time I ate or slept properly. These animals have to get along before my sanity disintegrates.
bengalsmeow
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by bengalsmeow »

im in UK SW
Grace56
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Grace56 »

You will have to send the dog back I reckon. Why try to keep the cat and dog in the same house if you are in this state about it? Is it that important that you have a dog.

The cat is terrified and stressed, your stressed and the dog is stressed. What do you want, cat, dog or neither because you obviously cannot have both. And may I make a suggestion....learn about cat behaviour and how to introduce them to dogs or other pets before ever attempting this again.

Personally, I feel extremely sorry for those poor animals.
nanny pamy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by nanny pamy »

Totally agree with grace56. I'm no expert but animals need a happy relaxed life and if that means being unselfish and letting them go to a happy environment then that's what you do. Put the animals first, not what you want, could you not just keep one. It doesn't sound like you can cope with more. I.m Sure you'd feel better knowing your giving them a chance of a happy relaxed environment rather than talking of "drugging" them
OMGHELP
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by OMGHELP »

Tomoro I am going to try to re-introduce. It's been a week since the fiasco. The cat has gotten whiff of the dog's scent on several occasions as well as vice-versa. I'm trying the kennel approach where the dog will be in the kennel with a protected corner and the cat can only come up on 2sides. That will keep the cat from actually clawing the dog.

So far, I can wear "doggie clothes" and the cat will still sit in his normal position beside me.... who knows... maybe the cat has decided the dog is here to stay and is going to throw a small tantrum and slowly get over it during the next week.

We are all cat lovers here, but I'm sorry, if anyone goes it will be the cat. The dog is an ESA and my doctor is thinking about having her trained as a Service Dog as well for me. I didn't go out and just get a dog on a whim. It was by the direction (not suggestion) of my psychiatrist. Her suggestion in all of it was to just throw the cat outside. I'm the one with the humanity to try to get them to work out.

Granted, my medication has been increased to deal with this stress. The cat has 2 more weeks before I have to surrender him. I love him, but he is not able to perform the functions that I need from a therapeutic companion. I'm sorry, my dear cat lovers, but you can not always use the rule of "last in, first out"
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

I don't usually 'come out' about this as it usually arouses prejudice, but since childhood I've had what have been called 'severe and enduring' mental health problems. I feel that my need and love for my animals have kept me afloat and been far more therapeutic for me than meds or psychiatry.

I think I once said in another post about my rescues - did I rescue them or did they rescue me?

I'm not trying to get into a suffering contest here but I really do feel that my illness doesn't excuse me from commitment and responsibility towards my animals, and I don't think yours excuses you either. As for your psychiatrist - don't get me started!

Back on topic, it sounds as if you've got some good groundwork done already and that the cat is beginning to get used to the dog's presence. You can't rush things. Also it's good for the dog - if she's to become a service animal, if she lives with a cat, going out and passing cats on the street won't faze or excite her as much.

But as I said before, to that cat, you're his world. And he's your responsibility. Please don't give up on him.
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Personally, I feel extremely sorry for those poor animals.[/quote]

I so agree with Grace on this...
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Grace56 wrote:You will have to send the dog back I reckon. Why try to keep the cat and dog in the same house if you are in this state about it? Is it that important that you have a dog.

The cat is terrified and stressed, your stressed and the dog is stressed. What do you want, cat, dog or neither because you obviously cannot have both. And may I make a suggestion....learn about cat behaviour and how to introduce them to dogs or other pets before ever attempting this again.

Personally, I feel extremely sorry for those poor animals.
I second this, very strongly...
nanny pamy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by nanny pamy »

hmmm. ive got a funny feeling about this. I feel its a wind up :o could be totally wrong and if I am I apologise. But I wont be reading this one anymore. Something not quite right about it :roll:
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

nanny pamy wrote:hmmm. ive got a funny feeling about this. I feel its a wind up :o could be totally wrong and if I am I apologise. But I wont be reading this one anymore. Something not quite right about it :roll:
Well, I'm sorry to have to disagree here and truly I'm not trying to be provocative , but, this is another reason I don't mention my mental health problems, because of the belief that anyone mentally ill is 'telling stories'. I certainly don't, and I've no reason to disbelieve the OP.

I had to post what I did as there seems to be another belief, that an animal owned by someone mentally ill will be abused and neglected - the image of the crazy cat-woman knee deep in kittens and filth. I wanted to forestall the inevitable reaction. I may be rather a mess sometimes lol but my animals aren't and I see no reason why the OP shouldn't overcome the present crisis with a bit of perseverance.

As for that damn psychiatrist - I've heard the same from so many 'professionals' - 'forget the animals, you're the one that's ill!' Simple solutions to simplify THEIR workload! (Apologies for being so cynical.)

Animals, and caring for them, learning about and from them, loving and being loved, for certain people, not all of course, are therapy of the best sort - far more valuable than sitting like a naughty child in front of some bored 'professional' looking for a quick fix for one more problem on their caseload.

Sorry about the rant. I agree that the chief concern should be for that cat, and the dog too. Paws crossed that they settle together and that the OP can go on coping.
nannymcfee
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by nannymcfee »

nanny pamy wrote:hmmm. ive got a funny feeling about this. I feel its a wind up :o could be totally wrong and if I am I apologise. But I wont be reading this one anymore. Something not quite right about it :roll:
I have been on anti depressants in past on a downward spiral and have claustrophobia/agrophobia but i still think what i said right from the beginning ..something is not 'quite' right with this.
Grace56
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Grace56 »

I've been thinking the same, nanny pamy. Why didn't the OP say at the start that this was a 'Therapy Dog?' I have Bi-Polar and I love and care for my cat even when down. He is my reason for carrying on and getting up in the morning.
And if a 'psychiatrist' told me to chuck my cat out, I'd NEVER EVER have any dealings with him/her again.
nanny pamy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by nanny pamy »

I would like to add that my "feelings" about the post are nothing at all to do with mental health issues. That's something most of us have suffered at some time. I sometimes go on a forum called "trip advisor off topic chatter" and every now and then someone will post something that gets people arguing like mad because of the different opinions. Then the original poster disappears. That's how I feel about this. But its just my opinion and as I said if I'm wrong then I apologise. I wont add to this thread now but just wanted to assure that "mental health issues" didn't enter my head in fact I had to read back to see where it was mentioned.
Grace56
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Grace56 »

I'm sorry, my dear cat lovers, but you can not always use the rule of "last in, first out"
And this sounds dreadfully supercilious in my opinion.
OMGHELP
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by OMGHELP »

@Grace56 Thank you for your advice on how to solve my dilemna! I need as much encouragement as I can get as stated in my previous reply.
Since the cat community has been so helpful (to those of you who stayed on topic..Thank you for your kindness. I appreciate the advice) I have turned to the very caring dog rescue volunteers.
Thanks to their focus on the problem I re introduced my pets per their advice. We have a long way to go but they were in the same room yesterday without incident.
Those who rescue are the true animal lovers of this world. They strive to make our furry loved ones happy