how long should i keep new cata in bonding room

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
Cookiecat
Returning Cat Chatter

how long should i keep new cata in bonding room

Post by Cookiecat »

Hi I have found some really great advice on this site and even found my new kitties on this site and so I'm hoping for a little bit of advice mainly on how to tell when theyare ready to have more freedom of the house, I know there is an article on this but I don't want to make the same mistake twice, as I thought they were ready before and they gotunder floor bords (didn't realise there was a hole under my stairs). It took me three days to catch them and feel this set tem back. I've filked in hole now but don't want them to feel scared.
They have been in the bonding room now for just under a week, I visit regularly to play and give meals they play loads and always come running for food, even eating out my hand they do get abit scared wen I enter the room or stand up. They have never been in house before
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: how long should i keep new cata in bonding room

Post by greenkitty »

Are there are other cats in the house? If not I'd crack on and start introducing them to the rest of the house. If there are other cats I'd start with intros, in my experience the quicker you start this stage the easier it is to integrate them.
Cookiecat
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Cookiecat »

I don't have any other cats, I have a dog but he has been sleeping in bed room so they have slept together. I'll check the house make sure there isn't any were they can hide again
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Post by Jacks »

Hi there Cookiecat! I took in a little feral kitten aged 4.5 months a year and a half ago - the similarity being that she had never been in a house before and could find tiny places I'd never even thought of!

I kept her in the bonding room for 10 days until she was less scared of me and started to come to me when I said 'where's Mummy?'. At first I let her into the upstairs hallway and not the main bedroom and she proceeded to climb down a tiny hole behind the toilet where the stack pipe goes. I was petrified she'd get stuck, but she came back when I called 'Where's Mummy, Jessie?' and treaties were in order. Once let into the main bedroom she built a 'nest' with stolen fluffy socks under the bed, where she used to retreat when she was scared. She went up the chimney (horrors) but came back down. Others have had new kittens under cupboards in the kitchen, camping out, but your two sound adorable and not at all shy, so I think you'll be fine once they get used to everything.

I think after their previous escapade the thing is to be sure they are confident and comfortable with you, and like to come to you. Then let them start to explore their new territory. Be prepared for abject terror at the TV and alarm at household machines, but they soon get used to it! Apart from 'skitty behaviour' sometimes you'd never know our girl was a feral except that she takes a long time to accept new humans - she's much more confident with negotiating other cats now too, having initially been terrified at the sight of the kitten companion we got her! Lol!

Your two sound gorgeous - my youngest is a little black girl who was found in a bucket, she's the light of my life - black cats are so energetic, lively and full of character. You made a SPLENDID choice :-)
x
Cookiecat
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Cookiecat »

Hi sounds like what you did with your cat really worked. I'm going to try give them more freedom soon but it feels like I'm taking one foot forward and another two back. If one tiny thing changes in their room they get with drawn again. Even if I sit in a different place they get worried thoygh they still come out to eat and play. Iam concerned that they only seem to eat when I'm in the room, I visir regularly but maybe its a sign they need more freedom.
I thibnk when I'm not in room they hide the whole time as find them in my wardrobe which thery claw their way into. They are not happy now I've blocked wardrobe off but worried things will fall on them in there
Cookiecat
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Cookiecat »

They are both sleeping on cat tree opsite me at the minute
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Post by Jacks »

Sounds like they are really coming on well! Give them time, it's a big world they're adjusting too. Do keep us updated about this gorgeous pair. x
KittyWitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by KittyWitty »

Hi cookie,

How are the kittens?