Diabetes

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Lord Percy
New Cat Chatter

Diabetes

Post by Lord Percy »

First time on this site and just wondering if anybody has a puddy cat with diabetes - he is insulin dependent. Lord P is a house cat and approx. 15 years old. Thanks
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Diabetes

Post by Crewella »

I'm sorry, but I haven't had a cat with diabetes, but I'm sure someone with experience will be able to help. Wishing your boy all the best.
pandorawarlord
Experienced Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by pandorawarlord »

I had a cat that was insulin dependent and she too was an indoor cat of senior years.
how long has your cat been diabetic?
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Yes, I do! Can I help? My boy Edgar is only 9 but came to us as an ex long term stray with several issues but he 's doing really well.

Sarah
Lord Percy
New Cat Chatter

Post by Lord Percy »

Thank you all for getting back to me.

'Our Percy' has been diabetic since March of this year. I have to inject him every 12 hours with 0.4 of insulin. I took him to the vets earlier this week because of his lethargy. The vet told me that he is not responding too well to the insulin. His glucose levels are quite high and I am reluctant to take him to the vet hospital (for monitoring) again as the readings are high but this is down to the stress of taking him to the vets etc. He is extremely timid. I have bought a glucometer and I am going to attempt to do this myself this weekend. We shall see! He is on a diabetic diet (both wet and dry food). His drinking has nearly halved (from 550 mls or so to 350 mls) which I am pleased about and he has put on a little weight which this was the only thing that the vet was pleased about. I think she is suggesting putting him to sleep but I am not happy about this at this stage. Quality of life is of course extremely important and I certainly don't want him to be in pain but I feel that more can be done. Percy means so much to me, I have even taken on a part time job in order to assist me with costs. I have been on the internet regarding this disease and it would seem that the majority of people who have cats with diabetes find it relatively easy to manage, makes me wonder if I am doing anything wrong. Any advice you may have I would be extremely grateful.
Marla
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Marla »

Percy is lucky to have you! :)

I haven't had a diabetic cat myself, but these two sites look helpful:

http://www.sugarpet.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.catinfo.org/?link=felinediabetes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lord Percy
New Cat Chatter

Post by Lord Percy »

Many thanks for that - will take a look
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Hello again, sorry for the delay getting back on CC.

Hmmmm... it certainly doesn't sound like time for you boy to be heading to the Rainbow Bridge; perhaps your vet is a little influenced by his older years. Firstly, what insulin is he on? If it is Caninsulin, 0.4 units sounds a very low dose. My boy was up to 6 units at one point. He is now on Glargine and has 2.0 units twice a day. Has Percy been tested for Pancreatitis? This is invariably associated with diabetes and if undiagnosed can render them less able to process Insulin. Furthermore, cats with Acromegaly are also insulin resistent so it would be worth a test for that. If Percy's glucose has lowered, he is putting on weight and he is drinking (and weeing?) less, then his diabetes is to some extent under control. Glucose monitoring at the vets is very stressful for them and often give false readings - the glucometer, if you get to grips with it - will be very helpful.

It may be worth asking your vet about Percy's insulin dose and monitoring his food intake too. Does he eat enough to process the insulin? Our boy is only 9 and an ex stray so he eats for England, but your boy being older may need encouraging to eat a little more?

Hope to hear back from you. Will be quicker off the mark next time!

Sarah and Edgar
Lord Percy
New Cat Chatter

Post by Lord Percy »

Hi Sarah & Edgar

Many thanks again for responding, cannot tell you how great it is to 'talk' to someone about this horrible condition.

Yes, Percy is on Caninsulin. Not 100 % certain about his diabetic food though. It is Royal Canin - both wet (which he does not like at all) and dry - what is Edgar on? I must admit I give him a few prawns in the evening just so he can look forward to something 'normal'

Percy has always been a grazer, is it really important to give him food just at injection time? Again, I must admit I do give him food throughout the day otherwise he follows me everywhere and it got rather distressing for him and me also.

Pancreatitis was mentioned along with other things by the vet but will see how the monitoring goes on Monday - wish me luck.

Many thanks again Sarah

Paula and Percy aka The 2 P's
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Hi Paula and Percy

Percy's Caninsulin dose does sound unusual. Other friends whose furbabes are diabetic are dealing with 1.5 or 2 units twice a day. Obviously it depends on Percy's blood glucose but I would be inclined to ask for another explanation of how your vet has reached that dose.

Edgar likes RC wet and dry, although the wet is only appealing if there is nothing better on offer. He likes d/m dry, but not wet, which is a shame as we got that free from the Royal Veterinary College where is Edgar is on a trial. He also gets Glargine insulin free for 12 months, thereafter we will pay for it. I have also been persuaded by much advice which favours ultra low carb, high meat content non prescription food for diabetic cats - Lily's Kitchen, Nature's Menu, Bozita, Ferringa, Smilla all go down well. I do cook chicken and fish for him and my other cats too. I have two other cats who eat differnet wet foods, but everyone has the same dry foods and as well as RC and d/m dry, Origen and Call of the Wild are good high meat content foods. There is a strong opinon that diabetic cats should not have dry at all and this would be my ideal but it's difficult in a multi-cat household as one of my other cats relies on grazing on dry. I could try to wean her off this long term of course.

We try not to give in to Edgar's pestering for food (as an ex stray this will never go away!) but inevitably do give him something high protein if he really seems hungry as we don't want him to get a sugar low. His injections coincide with breakfast and tea.

Good luck and fusses to Percy for Monday. Please feel free to email me anytime.

Sarah and Edgar (Avatar picture)