A long battle with Kylie's food and sods law.

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

A long battle with Kylie's food and sods law.

Post by MarkB »

Some might know that Kylie has chronic diarrhea and the weight is falling off her. She has tested positive for low folate, probably due to her gut not absorbing nutrients. She is 3 weeks into a 4-week course of folic acid, before doing a gut biopsy (involves surgery as it is the small intestine) she was 3.2kg when last weighed 3 weeks ago (down from 6.5kg 2 years ago)

I am cautiously optimistic that there has been some improvement. I don't know if it is the folic acid, the fact that despite several previous wormers, I wormed her again on Sunday, or that her body has managed to fight whatever it is, but anyway, this week she has been doing a few firm poos and her appetite has improved dramatically.

Anyway, the real point of this post was to say that I had been through full sized bags of RC, Hills and Purina prescription foods, as well as large bags of dry food she had liked in the past, some of them up until recent months, when she started refusing dry all together. I bought Hills sensitive stomach, JWB turkey, JWB Fish and 6 or so others.

I did a recent order with Zooplus which arrived yesterday. I order a 1.8kg bag of Happy Cat and was please to see that they do a 300g bag of Bozita to try as it was one less large bag to have to force on the other cats.

This afternoon, I opened the Bozita. Five minutes later, she was eating it!!!!

So, looks like I will have to do another order and just be grateful that she is eating. It is the only way she is going to build herself back up.

SWe had solid poos for 3 days in a row, but sloppy again today :(

I am really hoping we can avoid a biopsy, watch this space.
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: A long battle with Kylie's food and sods law.

Post by Walesgang »

Oh Mark let's hope you have found an answer. Definitely want to avoid the biopsy if you can :(

Seeing the weight loss in figures is quite alarming isn't it?? What would her ideal weight be around for her size and age?
nannymcfee
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by nannymcfee »

Mark has a sample of her stools been tested for a stool culture recently for any microscopic organisms?
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

Yes, she had a course of Metronidazole in case it was Giardia (after a course of regular ABs) then a stool sample, then 2 blood tests. One was to check for Folate and B12 levels and the other to check her pancreas. The vet said that worse case it could be lymphoma, but there could be other causes. He mentioned a condition where white blood cells build up in the gut and migrate into the cells, hindering absorption of nutrients. He said he has run out of ideas and the only conclusive test he can do next is a biopsy.

Val - surprisingly, he said her ideal weight would be around 4.5kg, or maybe a bit less - which makes it even scarier that at her heaviest (around 8 years ago) she weighed 7.05kg

Obviously that kind of weight loss isn't sustainable, so quite worrying. I am quietly confident that she hasn't lost any more weight and is gaining a bit.
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Sending much love to your beautiful girl. I do hope that you are able to avoid a biopsy. How scary to see her lose so much weight, from one extreme to another, bless her. Bozita is highly recommended for its high meat content and lack of cereals. Edgar, who is inclined to soft poos, likes it and as well as other ultra low carb and prescription foods (RC diabetic and gastro intestinal) it seems to firm things up. Once you have got to the bottom of Kylie's issues it might be worth trying her on the wet too.

Kisses to Kylie. What could be more precious than a feisty senior black girl! (Pepsi told me write that).
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I'm really pleased to hear she's picked up, I know how worried you've been. All paws here crossed that she does start putting some weight back on and you don't need to go through further tests. xx
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by greenkitty »

It is a real worry but I'm glad she's perked up whatever the reason and keep everything crossed that it continues. Gut problems are such a nightmare to get on top of, I hope you don't have to go down the biopsy route x
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

We are back to the runs. She must have had a bout early this morning. She hasn't eaten yet. It really was looking good earlier in the week.

I was just about to do the tray, when Ingrid decided to use it (despite there being 3 others!) - She covered Kylie's mess up thoroughly as if it was her own - ie sniffing and covering more and then dug her own hole - they are odd creatures! :)

Trying not to do hand-wringing over Kylie as it doesn't help her or us.
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Oh poor girl. So sorry to hear that. Try to keep your spirits up.
Marla
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Marla »

Hi Mark, I'm really sorry Kylie isn't well.

Have you ever tried Protexin Pro-Kolin Enterogenic? Our latest adoptee has loose stools unless we include a very small amount with every meal:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Protexin-Pro-Ko ... B004HJT4HK" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
We don't give anywhere near the recommended dose, but it still really helps.

If you're interested in trying it and your vet thinks it's OK, I'd be happy to send you a couple of sachets.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

Thanks Marla, but I bought some of those and she won't touch them. For a while she was having Fortiflora, but then refused it. She sometimes ate it mixed in with Lick-e-Lix. I ordered a box of the Protexin sachets and she won't eat them either alone or in food/Lick-e-lix - I bought a few more Fortiflora sachets, but there is no way she will touch them. So frustrating, because at the beginning she would happily lick the dry powder - she used to lick the plate clean.

She hasn't eaten at all today, but seems to be perking up. I have left her a few different foods as we are going out for a few hours. Hopefully she will have eaten by the time we get back.

I will do a detour to Sainsbury's and pick her up a pack of her favourite coley steaks :)
Marla
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Marla »

We only add about 1/4 teaspoon at every meal, enough to help but not be detected.

I hope Kylie eats today!
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Lilith »

Hi Mark and sorry to hear Kylie's having problems.

You might have tried this before but if not, it's a very old remedy but I have known it work and it's even safe for kittens:-

http://www.vetpharmacy.co.uk/dogs-diges ... html#lDesc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've chosen this link at random as it gives guidance for cat dosing, but your vet will probably know more and even be able to supply it. As I remember it doesn't seem that noticeable in food either.

Good luck and all paws crossed!
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

Thanks for that. I had some Peridale for Laz. I tried it with Kylie and she won't touch it.

She had the runs in both her trays while we were out. She had eaten a little bit tonight and is now eating the Coley I bought her.

The problem is, the diarrhea is chronic and has been going on for well over a year, gradually getting worse. I don't think she is going to be with us much longer TBH - Hard for me, as at the beginning, it was just Kylie and me. I adopted her 14 years ago when I lived alone.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

MarkB wrote:Thanks for that. I had some Peridale for Laz. I tried it with Kylie and she won't touch it.

She had the runs in both her trays while we were out. She had eaten a little bit tonight and is now eating the Coley I bought her.

The problem is, the diarrhea is chronic and has been going on for well over a year, gradually getting worse. I don't think she is going to be with us much longer TBH - Hard for me, as at the beginning, it was just Kylie and me. I adopted her 14 years ago when I lived alone.
Aww, pity. You get great placid lumps who'll never notice what jollop you slip into a bit of food, and crafty little monkeys like Kylie eh?

Diarrohea is the worst - your heart sinks when you hear them using their tray...yet again...

So very very sorry - do wish that her condition could stabilise or a remedy could be found but sadly that isn't always the case. Hope the coley stayed in her system a bit longer, fusses to her.
Marla
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Marla »

Has Kylie been tested for hyperthyroidism? She's that age and diarrhea is one of the symptoms.

I don't read all the threads, so apologies if I've missed this somewhere.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

Marla,

It was one of the things I suggested myself when I first took her to the vet several months ago. The vet poo-pooed my suggestion. He felt around her neck and said there was no swelling at all, also that her heart rate was normal.

He can be sarcastic and asks if I have been googling again when I question things.

I think I will ask again and see if he will run a T4 test to rule it out. He has also ruled out diabetes after she had full bloods done. He said her liver and kidneys are very good for her age - although that was probably 4 months ago or so.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

Trigger was HT but no palpable tumour felt - one of the reasons I went for radioactive iodine treatment, as hyper tissue can be located outside the gland itself - and an increased heart rate was never mentioned, and he did not exhibit any hyperactive behaviour, so I don't think vets should be relying on so-called typical HT when a simple blood test can rule it in or out
Marla
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Marla »

Our Flo and Rosie (sisters) both have hyperthyroidism. Flo was losing weight and drinking lots of water. Rosie hadn't lost weight but was drinking lots of water. Neither had an elevated heart rate or any other symptoms. Both were eating a lot, though, unlike Kylie.

Hugs to you and Kylie. It's so difficult when they're not well.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

The only thing that doesn't tie in with HT is the lack of appetite. The odd thing is how she improved dramatically for a few days following me giving her a drontal last sunday night. She did fairly form poos for 3 days in a row, seemed better in herself and started eating really well - then followed by this rapid decline. I will make an appointment tomorrow morning. I doubt they would want to do a biopsy the way she is at the moment. I will mention all thoughts/suggestions.
Marla
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Marla »

You're right Mark, I guess it can't be that. :(
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

I wouldn't rule out hyper t based on that mark, someone who used to be a member had a hyper t cat without increases appetite, it's rare but can happen
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Mark, is it worth seeking another opinion with a different vet at another practice that someone local can recommend?
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

I know all the local vets Sarah. I think I will ask to see a different vet at the same practice. I have a relationship with them as they are next door. The senior partner took such care with Laz. For a long time, he insisted on checking Laz's BP every 6 weeks free of charge.

The other very local vet (my original vet when we moved here) was taken over by another practice last year after the previous vet committed suicide using euthanasia drugs. They say you shouldn't speak ill of the dead, so I will say nothing more.
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Oh my goodness. :shock:
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

She has lost another 600g in a month - now 2.6kg :(

I mentioned HT - the vet said 'Didn't Pete already rule it out? - I said he had felt her neck, but no test was done. He said she isn't presenting signs of HT, but it does need to be ruled out with a blood test. As soon as the result is back, if it is negative, we need to get a biopsy done ASAP as that kind of weight loss isn't sustainable.

On the way out, I asked for a tin of AD (I was given two) - I said it is unlikely she will touch it, but worth a go. Anyway, she loves it and has eaten 1/4 tin already. I can always get more quickly If she hasn't gone off it by tomorrow, I will order some online.
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Oh Mark, your poor little girl. It must break your heart to see that weight loss. It has brought a lump to my throat reading your post. Glad she likes the AD, hope she eats it tomorrow. When will the HT result be back? Give Kylie a kiss from me. Take care, all of you. X
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

Thanks Sarah,

She hasn't touched anything since she ate the bit of AD. She went outside for a poo earlier. I hoped it would be solid as she hadn't been for 24 hrs, but it wasn't.

I am pretty sure they do the HT test in house, so hoping for a call tomorrow at some point. They have to send the Folate test to the lab.

Obviously we are on borrowed time if we can't get an answer soon. She will need the biospy done while she is still strong enough.

Obviously I love all the cats and had a real bond with Alice and Laz, being with them almost 24/7 for several years, but Kylie & I go way back. She was my first cat as an adult (although I was nearly 40 when I adopted her in 2002) It was just Kylie and me at the beginning. We have lost 4 other cats, but I think Kylie is going to be the toughest.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Sorry to hear all this Mark. Thinking of you, and Kylie.
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Big virtual hugs, Mark. Wish there was more we could do than support you virtually. I'm sure I'm not the only one cuddling our oldies just a little closer tonight thinking of you and your girl. Sending all positive and healing thoughts.