Another RTA loss.

Help & Support for those who have lost a beloved cat
BarryK001
Experienced Cat Chatter

Another RTA loss.

Post by BarryK001 »

Hi,

Just joined the forum. Our lovely 15 month old Lucy was killed last Saturday morning. Such a lovely little friend. We think she was sitting under a parked car that moved off. We're really not coping very well with this. I guess time will help. I ve been reading the posts from others that have been in similar situations. I truly know what you have all gone through. It's terrible.

BK.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Another RTA loss.

Post by Kay »

I am so sorry for your loss - it's horrible when such a young one is killed like this - but if you're a cat lover there is no easy way to lose them, whatever the age and circumstances

time modifies the shock and sense of disbelief, but the loss of such a young one will remain a source of grief for some time, I'm afraid

the only thing which might help is to think about what might prevent such a tragedy in the future, so you don't have to go through this again
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

I am so sorry to hear about Lucy. It must have been such a shock for you.

I can only second what Kay has said and say I'm thinking about you.

RIP sweet Lucy, play happily at the Bridge.
Topcat10
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Topcat10 »

Rest in peace beautiful Lucy. You and me are the same age, who knows....we might meet again some day some place?
Nite nite.
TC.
My Dad is also upset.
Mainecoon
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Mainecoon »

So very sorry for you to lose young Lucy & we can so understand your loss / feelings as it as it is 3 weeks to the day since we lost Kara . Think of all the positive happy times you had with her & perhaps she is playing with large fluffy Kara at Rainbow Bridge . Thinking of you at this difficult tme . RIP sweet Lucy .
BarryK001
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by BarryK001 »

Kay wrote:the only thing which might help is to think about what might prevent such a tragedy in the future, so you don't have to go through this again
Thanks. It does help to know that there are caring people out there. Your comment about preventing it happening again is a really important one. We got Lucy from a Rescue Centre along with her Mum, Lexi, (previous owners didnt want her back). I am desperate to ensure that something like this doesnt happen to Lexi.

We live in a Cul de Sac that contains quite a few happy cats. Our previous cat enjoyed 15 incident free years, but clearly danger does lurk there (and everywhere). At the moment we are only letting Lexi out at 5am for 2 hours, whilst car movement is at a minimum. However, we are actually thinking of turning her into an indoor cat for her own safety. Is this wise? Is it fair on the cat?

Any thoughts or advice??

A neighbour is going to investigate how we go about getting speed bumps and a 15mph speed limit as well. Does anyone know how to go about this?

Thanks everyone.

BK.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

in my opinion the best solution in such circumstances is to make your garden catproof, so your cat can enjoy the outdoors without any of the associated risks - there are various ways to do this, some cheap diy jobs, others more sophisticated - a search on catchat and google will give you some ideas

regarding road restrictions, would approaching your local councillor be the best place to start?

as for Lexy's outdoor time, it was always ingrained in me that a cat was most vulnerable to traffic during darkness, as they get confused by car headlights - I seem to remember reading statistics that suggested most RTAs involving cats happen between dusk and dawn
Mainecoon
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Mainecoon »

We have had 3 cats in RTA in past few years . Tried secure garden as far as we could .. Keri (disclocated hip & survived ) this was in dark about 6 am . Tara died died instantly about 2am in cul - de sac- ( hit & run & died) . Beautiful Kara died 3 weeks ago in broad daylight 10-11 am & hopefully died instantly . We know what you are thinking / going through . yet we have Rhea currently @ 16 years old & Tavy @3 & in past Timmy @13 years old & Peter 19 nearly 20 & Polly 18 years old with no issues re traffic issues at all . A debatable thought . . Thinking of you at this time x
BarryK001
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by BarryK001 »

Mainecoon wrote: Thinking of you at this time
Thanks. We're still going through a lot of guilt thoughts - what if this, what if that, if only ... but the reality is that nothing will bring beautiful Lucy back. It's going to take a long while to come to terms with her loss and I know that many of you have been through this - and worse. Heartbreaking.

I read a statistic on various websites yesterday. Average lifespan of indoor cats is apparently around 16 years, whilst for those allowed out unsupervised it's only around 5 years. Maybe these numbers are for the USA - where going outside has other dangers than the UK for cats (coyotes for example), but I thought they were instructive. Of course, so much depends on actual location, whether there are busy roads nearby and so on. But it seems that roaming outside reduces the average life expectancy of cats considerably. I think we will turn our back garden into Fort Knox.

BK.
Mainecoon
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Mainecoon »

We supposedly live in a quiet road .. yet a Persian cat further up was killed last year . A friend who lives on a quiet country lane nearby lost 3 cats & ditto another friend lost 1 cat ( you just do not know ) . Our cats who survived lived near a busy back road .. It is a lot to take in /what to do . We keep ours in at night ( have done so for 15 years since Tara died )..... and let them out early at 4 ish am when quiet , & then get them in by 6pm ish .
BarryK001
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by BarryK001 »

Just wanted to post a picture of Lucy so you can see what a lovely kitty she was.
Attachments
IMG-20150926-WA0001.jpg
IMG-20150926-WA0001.jpg (48.8 KiB) Viewed 6153 times
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

She certainly was. What a sweet little face. I'm so sorry for your loss. RIP sweet Lucy. (Hugs) to you.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

she was indeed a beauty

so sad
Mainecoon
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Mainecoon »

So gorgeous .. RIP Lucy xx
Joanne_
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Joanne_ »

so sorry:( my cat Erik was killed back in Jan and the pain is still as raw:( It is really hard and you never accept it:(
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I'm so sorry for your loss, it's a dreadful shock to lose them so suddenly like that. Such a pretty cat, rest in peace gorgeous Lucy. xx