Cat=Human names

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
nannymcfee
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Cat=Human names

Post by nannymcfee »

Well youngest daughter had a baby boy, and what has she called him, ! yes its the feline connection again, this time, William ( does anyone remember puss william) Henry ...i said as in Henrys cat? :lol:

:D
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Cat=Human names

Post by meriad »

not having grown up in the UK I'll admit to not knowing who Puss Williams is :lol:

But when it comes to human / cat names all my pets have always had human names given to them ;)
Sue Goddard
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Sue Goddard »

I think it was pussycat Willum..
If my 63 yo brain remembers..!!
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

meriad wrote:But when it comes to human / cat names all my pets have always had human names given to them ;)
Yeh, mine are too. Dogs - Kate, Rose, Bonnie, Barney and Bess. Cats Tom, Bob, Grace and I suppose it's a stretch but Willow and Purdy (Once knew a girl called Willow, Purdy - The Avengers)

OH's daughter married a Smith - they have a son called Harvey! We said, 'Harvey? Harvey Smith?' They don't get it - am I just showing my age??? :lol:
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

I tend to compromise by raiding TV programmes for names - I've had Cushty and Boycie and Trigger from Only Fools, and Tosker comes from Our Friends in the North - I have unofficially named the Siamese stray I'm feeding Geordie from that drama too
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

If I ever have two boys who don't already have names they will be called Di Nozzo and McGee after the NCIS characters. Because I don't imagine we'd ever rescue kittens (I am a softie for seniors) then I probably won't get that pleasure, but who knows.... any cat in need is ultimately welcome.
mr_frisky
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by mr_frisky »

Mine always have 'cat' names - Tigger, Tabby, Frisky, Kitty, Tango, Coco etc.
nannymcfee
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by nannymcfee »

Sue you are right yes pussycat Willum ! I tried to make one once out of some 'fur like' material in the 1960's , not turned out quite so good as my clanger made from a sock and best velvet dress ! mum was not best pleased :0)
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by Walesgang »

Well, the only one of mine with a 'human' name is Henry.

Tips/Tipsy is named after her white ear tips
Squeak after her little squeaky meow
Grey AKA Mr G was originally just called the grey cat when he was still living on the farm down the road and we never really changed it.

Previous cats have been Luna, Anna and Orph - so overall, no real logic either way!!
Mrs Kane
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mrs Kane »

When I used to work at the Co-op (seems like eons ago now) I used to get a regular customer whose cat would walk with him to the shop. She was quite out of the ordinary, very much like a dog. She used to sit outside and wait for him while he got his daily paper and other bits and bobs. My colleagues and I used to joke that we should call the BBC to do an animal special on the two of them.

Anyway, one day the customer and I struck up a conversation. I asked him what his cat was called. He said "Charlotte".
I asked him why that name for a cat? (A small note here, the cat was a beautiful calico mix) She had a little mix of colours on her nose so I said "why not something like Smudge?"

The guy was totally furious with me. He practically yelled: "All my cats have real names!" and with that he left. I never saw him again :? I am hoping that he just decided to go to the shop later and avoid me, but it was strange.

I love silly names, so it's weird for me to have a cat that's named like a person now. My previous pets were:
Mossy - Rabbit (He looked nothing like moss. I just had an obsession with "Animals of Farthing Wood" when I was a child)
Softie - Dog (He was a cuddly old fella, need I say more?)
Pipkin - Rabbit (Watership down TV program obsession)
Jet - Rabbit (He was black and anti-social)
Blackie - Goldfish (sounds weird to name this, but he was 10 when he died so we kinda felt sad when he left) (He had a black tail)
Fritz - Grannys cat (He was always freaking out over tiny things, we used to say he was "on the fritz")
Frodo - Uncles cat (My uncle loves LOTR so I named his bengal Frodo, I was 8)
Salt and Pepper - My and my sisters hamsters. (They were black and white, mine was salt)
GitaBooks
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 7

Post by GitaBooks »

We've had a mixture of both for our pets. Some of our cats have very strange names:

Scardy Cat (when we were trying to take her home she hid and everyone on the farm was trying to find her)
Tiger Tail (orange stripes on his tail)
Tabby (kids named her)
Pygmy (he was one of our larger cats)
Nym
Barely
Miracle (she died at birth and my Mom breathed into her lungs and brought her back to life)
Genevieve (Genny for short)
Chester
Pi (after the math term)
Sherbert
Gracie
Joy
Hope
Lynx
Black Cat (a stray that decided to stick around)
Orange Cat (a stray that decided to stick around)
Mesa
Missy
Millie
Billy
Ebony
Ivory

And many others
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by greenkitty »

I've had a mixture!

My beloved Hector was named by the rescue and it suited so we kept it!
Pip we adopted as a tiny kitten and she would squeak at us, while we were trying to decide on her name we called her Pip Squeak and Pip stuck.
Noodle was called Effie which I didn't like, she was very thin having had kittens and was stretched out on the bed and looked like a brown long thin noodle!
Tig was called JJ which again I didn't like and he seemed like a Tig.