Re: Fred's Greebo ...... or Greebo's fred ...... RIP

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Fred's Greebo ...... or Greebo's fred ......

Post by Crewella »

He really does seem to be doing his best, bless him - and he couldn't be more different from Pugwash, who's place he is, in effect, taking (much as I love them both, of course).

Pugwash was all attitude and independence, he'd clearly been going it alone for a very long time and I'm sure was doing fine until old age caught up with him and he started the downward spiral that brought him into rescue. Puggy wasn't ever going to wait and hope that you would feed him - the slightest hint of food and he was there, grabbing, swiping, biting, ploughing through anything in his path and absolutely determined not to miss out. It's why we named him after a pirate.

Greebo is such a complete and utter cuddlebunny! He loves his food, and is appreciative, but when he was in the outdoor pen we had a routine of a cuddle before I put his food down, and he often came back for more cuddles rather than go for his dinner, skinny and underfed as he was. He still loves to bury his head in the crook of my arm, and when given the freedom of the house all he really wants to do is sit behind me on the office chair whilst I work - usually curled round me, on his back, front paws nudging me in the ribs, gazing up at me and purring fit to bust!

For a cat that was so let down and betrayed, and so scared and depressed on arrival, it really is lovely to see him still willing to put his faith in someone, bless him. You really can do pretty much anything to him - I've pushed pills down him, dripped stuff in his eyes, cut his claws, combed clumps out of his fur ..... and he's not batted an eyelid. Every so often he returns the favour, grabs my hand and gives it a very thorough wash. I can't tell you what a soft spot I'm developing for this big, soft, scruffy, cuddly mutt of a cat! :)
nannymcfee
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by nannymcfee »

When i read this he is so like Luca in every way, i really really still miss him...

and you would too if Greebo was offered a home.....i looked back at his first photo to the one now, no one would recognise him, ( but your hubbys arms are always the giveaway :mrgreen: )

You have worked your magic again !
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Every home should have a cuddle bunny! Why is it always the ones who have had such a bad time, who are like that? The girls, who have never known anything but love, treat us like 'Staff'. The boys, who have been through the mill, are so grateful and affectionate.

Fusses to your cuddle bunny.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

I'm reeling - I found Greebo dead in his basket when I took his tea in to him.

He was fine this morning, he'd used his tray during the day and was just curled up in his basket, looking perfectly peaceful. I guess his system was just too weakened by the tough time he'd had and the FIV. Poor little soul, but it's already a huge comfort to look at what I wrote last night, full of hope and love, and know that he was so happy in his last few weeks. Hurts like hell, but I'm so glad we were there for him.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

oh Helen, what a shock - perhaps his old heart just burst with all the love he found with you in his last weeks
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

That's a lovely way to look at it, Kay, thank you. xx
nannymcfee
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by nannymcfee »

Oh no the tears are starting again,

but Oh my goodness Greebo was loved SO much in his months with you,

RIP scrag tag Greebo Fred ,

( will tell Luca to keep an eye on you ,)

much love to you both

X
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

I'm stunned - this is heartbreaking - just as he was settling into his new quarters and enjoying proper home-life so much.

Yes, thank goodness he found you and had those months of happiness. Love and hugs, Lil x
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Dear Helen,

What a terrible shock! I've only just told my OH about your 'cuddle bunny' post. Tom was sitting looking up at us with a big smile on his face, waiting for his chicken, when I told him (Dave) He was so pleased to hear it.

Now he joins me in sending our love and (hugs) to you and your OH. I am so sad to hear the news. But as my OH says at least he went quickly, with no stress and he was happy to the end.

Much love

Sue and Dave xxx
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Oh my god, I'm so sorry to hear this. At least he knew love, warmth and kindness at the end, he was a very lucky boy
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

For Greebo -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5jv13oakdE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He'll already be a young chap again at Rainbow Bridge, getting his paw round the girls :)
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

What a lovely tribute - I'll raise a glass tonight!
Shelly and Dora
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Shelly and Dora »

Oh Helen. I'm so sorry

I don't tend to post much in the forum anymore but I do drop in to catch up on the threads. I'm so sorry. What a dreadful shock.

RIP little boy. Run and play hard.

(((Hugs))) to you & yours Helen xx
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by Walesgang »

Oh Helen, I have just caught up with this shocking news. Poor you and Greebo.

I know there is nothing I can say which will make things any easier, but the dear boy knew love and comfort in his final months. You couldn't have done any more for him.

RIP Greebo. Run free and well pusscat xx
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Oh Helen, I can't believe it. First dear Puggy and now your lovely little boy. Sending you the biggest hugs you can imagine. Both little boys found their perfect home in their last days - that is a blessing that you will be able to remember forever.

XXXXXX
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

Helen, I am so sorry - I can't believe I missed this yesterday. I am so very very sorry - I cannot believe that Greebo's gone :( Same as Pugwash he crept into the hearts of many of us CC people

I just do hope you get consolation from the fact that he passed, very much loved, warm, belly full and in his sleep. Sending you lots of love and a big (((hug)))

Good night gorgeous boy, sleep tight and sweet dreams.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Thank you all for your kindnesses and your thoughts.

I do remember this happening to me when I used to rescue reptiles, sometimes the ones that have had a REALLY bad time and come in in a severely weakened state just peter out on you, just when you think it's all going great. I'm grateful I took Greebo to the vet last week (because I was concerned that his coat was still very dry and scurfy) - he was pronounced a perfect weight at just over 5kg and all she mentioned was that his heart was a little fast, but that could have been the stress of the vet visit. Turns out that maybe it was more than that, but at least I feel there's nothing more I could have done, which is a comfort.

We're burying him next to Puggy this evening, he earned his place in the family plot - poor OH is heartbroken, again, at having to dig yet another hole. In the family tradition, we will bury him with something he loved - Puggy was buried with his food bowl, it seems fitting that we bury Greebo with the blanket from his bed - I remember him checking it was still there when he got home from his dental.

And just to add, sad as we are, and knowing what we now know, if I get a call tomorrow saying there's a manky old tomcat been handed in at the vets ..... I'll be down there, carrier in hand, in a heartbeat. It's the best tribute I can give them. xx
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by greenkitty »

Oh Helen I just don't know what to say, I can't put it any better than Kay, she summed it up so perfectly. What a dreadful time you're having at the moment. Sending hugs and thoughts to you and OH x
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Crewella wrote:Thank you all for your kindnesses and your thoughts

We're burying him next to Puggy this evening, he earned his place in the family plot - poor OH is heartbroken, again, at having to dig yet another hole. In the family tradition, we will bury him with something he loved - Puggy was buried with his food bowl, it seems fitting that we bury Greebo with the blanket from his bed - I remember him checking it was still there when he got home from his dental.

And just to add, sad as we are, and knowing what we now know, if I get a call tomorrow saying there's a manky old tomcat been handed in at the vets ..... I'll be down there, carrier in hand, in a heartbeat. It's the best tribute I can give them. xx
That's lovely Helen. God bless. Xx
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

So sorry to read this Crewella.

Thanks to you though Greebo was loved very much in his last days.

Godbless little fella xx
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Post by Jacks »

So sorry to hear of Greebo's passing. Sounds like the little lad just fell asleep one last time and wandered off in his dreams to wherever the spirits of loving cats go...

He was such a loving boy, and so loved - if but a short time with you it was the best time he could have had.

I love the bit about the manky old Tom cat - I'm sure there is another one out there waiting for you and OH, waiting to know some tasty food, warm blankets, kind hands and a good heart.

RIP Greebo, you were special and greatly loved.
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

My heart is aching for you and your OH, Helen. Bless him, how painful to be digging another grave so soon. The little boy will sleep peacefully in his blanket.

The old boys are so gorgeous. My boy is still young, but he knew hard times before he came to us. Hopefully he will have many years knowing the comfort of a loving home, but even though Greebo was with you for a short time, it was as wonderful to him than as if it had been his whole life.

XX
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

So sorry Helen. I have been so wrapped up in my own stuff that I haven't been checking the board. I don't know what to say, other than I hope when It is my time, I hope I am wrapped up safe and warm in my basket with a servant bringing the next meal for me. I hope that doesn't sound flippant.

We can only do our best for them and I know you and your OH did just that.

Reading the things you posted about Greebo so reminded me of how Laz was. Unconditional love ;)

Thinking of you xxx
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Thanks guys, I miss him terribly - he was such a happy little chap, he made a huge impression on us when he moved in and his joy was infectious. Far more so than the FIV!

I borrowed the phrase 'wherever the spirits of loving cats go' for the bereavement section, it's beautiful, thanks Jacks. And don't worry Mark, I absolutely agree with you - I'm glad his passing was so very peaceful and that he was in his beloved bed.

We did bury him with his blanket, and some hair clipped from both of us because I really think he understood that we had taken him in and loved us for it so I wanted to send a piece of us with him, and also with a key to symbolise that, after a life on the road as nobody's cat, rejected and vilified, he did die as a much loved cat with a home of his own. My boss thinks I'm potty, but I know you guys will get it. xx
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Ohhh.....

No way are you potty - or if you are, potty is the only way to be :D
Camdengirl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Camdengirl »

I'm so sorry to hear about Greebo, but it's lovely to hear he had moved into the house and passed quietly in his bed, he must have felt so loved and happy in his final days. He was very lucky to find his way to you.

Sleep tight Greebo x
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

Oh Helen, I'm so sorry to hear about Greebo. I've been off the site for a while wrapped up in Life's Stuff, but reading through the previous posts, you did a wonderful thing for this laddie, and he had the most perfect ending under the circumstances, quietly in his sleep, feeling well, full, loved and safe. The alternatives that faced him were so much worse. Thanks for all you did for him. RIP little fella. xx
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Thank you all for your kind thoughts, it does help though I can't believe how much we miss him. He was such a happy little chap by nature and just wanted to be near you, he was a joy to have around.

Precious memories, I just found this pic and it really made me smile. I was trying to take a pic of the pen, but have inadvertently recorded how he used to lean to try and see me coming round the corner, it always used to make me laugh!
leaning tower of greebo.jpg
leaning tower of greebo.jpg (113.58 KiB) Viewed 6235 times
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

That's so sweet. It must have been so rewarding seeing him recover both in body and spirit and look forward to seeing you. I wish all struggling cats could hope for such a happy and peaceful ending. X