More good news - hello Paddington!

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

More good news - hello Paddington!

Post by Crewella »

It was meant to be, I think - the morning after I lost Greebo a cat appeared in the 'Homes Needed' section - another older FIV+ stray, on death row but with a lovely vet nurse fighting his corner. Paddington has had a long journey, and is now sleeping off his tea in our utility room. :)
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: More good news - hello Paddington!

Post by Lilith »

I remember Paddington!

So glad he's come to you, well done and congrats! :D
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

You are stars - he couldn't have ended up anywhere better :) x
Last edited by MarkB on Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Fabulous news Helen :D

That's made my day! As Mark says he couldn't be in a better place. Give the lovely boy a cuddle from me Xx
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Thanks guys, it might seem a bit quick off the mark but I felt Greebo, big-hearted and generous-spirited gentleman of a cat as he was, would have understood and approved. And Paddington was running out of time.

He seems an absolute sweetheart, has settled very well and even looked pleased to be given his tea. Not a timid cat, then, and he purrs back at you when you talk to him. I can't believe such a little sweetheart had such a bleak future at one point. :|
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Lovely news Helen and I'm sure Greebo would approve. :) Fusses to the little fella.
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by greenkitty »

When it feels right, it feels right, good on you ☺️

Looking forward to hearing how Paddington gets on, he's a very handsome chap, fusses from me x
Camdengirl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Camdengirl »

Awww how lovely, I hope we will be getting pics soon??

My old FIV boy Clay arrived ready for fuss and food too, he was a very confident, laid back boy. I hope Paddington settles in well with the rest of your gang, he's very lucky to go from death row to cat heaven on earth! Do pass on some fusses from me.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

Aww, lucky Paddington. Good luck with the intros.
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

That's wonderful, Helen, and so fitting. Well done. Xx
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Being an old boy, he seems quite happy on his own all day and every time I go in there he's asleep, but I've let him in the living room with just us for an hour or so, just to give him a chance to find his feet a bit before I do introductions. The others definitely know he's in the utility room, as there's only a gappy old plank door between them, but to be honest nobody's made much of a fuss about it so far.
P1060739.JPG
P1060739.JPG (83.2 KiB) Viewed 9380 times
PS: That made me giggle, Mark - I wondered if you'd spot your typo!! :P
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

lovely photo Helen - and he sure looks like a cat who would enjoy eating and sleeping!
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

LOVE the tiger stripes! What a cutie pie he is. :D
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

Looks like he's smiling about being home! :)

Which typo was that Helen? - I corrected several over a few posts! :)

Was it where I had originally typed 'He could have found a better home'? :)

The problem with late night typing. I could lie and blame tiredness, but the red wine is probably part of it! :)
Mrs Kane
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mrs Kane »

Ah a fellow red wine drinker! I salute you sir!
*checks watch*
I'm going to bed sir!
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

That was the one - when I read it I imagined you seeing it the next day "Noooooooooooo!!" :lol:

He does seem very sweet and a bit of an innocent abroad. He has a proper stray-cat food obsession, and I notice he has a clipped ear so must have been a TNR at some point in his life. He is happily taking over Greebo's old position as house waste disposal unit - another skinny mutt that needs feeding up and will happily eat everything left by fussier cats. He doesn't look it because he's so fluffy, but he's still pretty skinny and underweight.

I did take him on under the rescue, mainly to secure his future in case there was a problem with the introductions that meant he couldn't stay on here and we had to try and find him another home. I think the vet nurse who had saved him was relieved to know there was a back-up plan and, one way or another, his future was secure.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by lilynmitz »

What a sweet looking old fella. :-)
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

What is it about these old boys? They just seem so grateful for everything you do. I showed the photo to OH and he melted.

Re red wine, we went out for lunch yesterday and I had a glass of a very nice Shiraz. Complimenting Gabriel ( the owner) on the wine, he returned with the bottle and said 'take the rest with you, I doubt I will sell it today'. Would that happen anywhere but Ireland?

Got a hospital visit today, so will be shopping after (town is 25 miles away). I have just written 'Tommy Chicken' on the list. My old fella has his medicine on a cube of chicken. Spoilt or what? :D
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

Oh Helen, he's gorgeous! Well done you and totally agree with Mark, Paddington really could not wish for a better forever home.

As for being given the rest of a bottle of red wine - one could only dream of that happening here in London. But then there seldom is a time when I don't order the whole bottle in the first place :D
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Thanks everyone, he really is gorgeous isn't he! And he goes 'pop'!!!! The vet nurse mentioned it when she did the handover, and he does - I think it's when he swallows whilst he's purring, but there's a definite high-pitched 'pop' every now and again! How cute is that!

It might not work for other people, but since I've been fostering I have definitely learned that the best medicine for the pain of losing a cat is to help another one. Both Pugwash and Greebo were very special, and gained a special place in my heart because of their story and how far they came from the dreadful state they came to me in. Paddington could never replace either of them, and may or may not develop such a deep bond with us, but that's OK. He needed us just as much in his own way.

I also hope that his story might encourage people to think about FIV+ cats in a different way. If I hadn't had to learn about FIV because of Greebo having tested +ve, I would certainly not have even considered taking on a cat with FIV, I just didn't know enough about it. It's an important legacy and I'm grateful to Greebo for having educated me. I believe another forum poster also fell for Paddington but was even further away that I was, so it's possible that he would have been saved even had I not come forward, but I'm sure there will be other cats in the future that will literally owe their lives to Greebo and his education of his new mum.

Greebo couldn't have passed the baton on to a better candidate. Paddington is so very photogenic and cute, and he's another old boy that seems to be grateful for his change of luck and trying his best to be good and fit in. I have absolutely everything crossed, tightly, that he does get on with the rest of the gang and manage to settle in as a proper member of the household. xx
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Ooh I hope so too! :D

I still remember the awful, gut-wrenching shock I had when I found out Bob was FIV+, on top of all the problems with his leg. I remember trundling around ASDA in shock and going home without half the things on my list.

Then I found CC and you guys introduced me to Bob and Barbara at Catwork. They were so helpful and so reassuring, God bless them.

FIV should not be a reason for us not giving a cat a home.

Long life and happiness to Paddington and his new humans. :D
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

Crewella wrote:It might not work for other people, but since I've been fostering I have definitely learned that the best medicine for the pain of losing a cat is to help another one. Both Pugwash and Greebo were very special, and gained a special place in my heart because of their story and how far they came from the dreadful state they came to me in. Paddington could never replace either of them, and may or may not develop such a deep bond with us, but that's OK. He needed us just as much in his own way.
I'm the same as you. No 'new' cat will ever replace a much loved passed pet, but I am sure that every pet up on the bridge is happy that another needy one has come into our lives and is being loved and cared for as they should be

I'd love to adopt an older cat one day - I do miss my Molly and her quirky ways - but with Ava and Harry being the way they are it just wouldn't be fair. Poor old cat would be splatted like a pancake on a daily basis. They are thugs they are! :D
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Mind you, with two such gorgeous cats it would be a bit like being mugged by a film star!! :D

It came as a bit of a shock when I realised that ALL my cats are 'mature' or 'senior'. I still think of Daz as the youngster, but even he's over 7 now! :shock:
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

Time does fly though, doesn't it.

Jamie and Abbie are now 9 - I remember getting them as 5 month old kittens back in November 06
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

He's so gorgeous Helen! I hope he fits in with the others. I am really hankering after an old boy now. Not sure my old girl would be too happy, or my 'mature' boy, come to think of it!
jillyvillyvoo
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by jillyvillyvoo »

Hi crewel la. I was so happy to hear you have paddington, I was the other person that was going to rescue him. I live in Scotland and told shelley I would take him if nobody nearer would. Saw his photo and was smitten therefor ready to travel to Wales and pick him up if need be. When we heard he had somewhere to go we were kicking ourselves we couldn't get to him earlier due to kids, school etc. However when I realised the other day it was YOU. I was really happy cos I realised he has truly gone to a good home. We don't know each other but I have read enough of your posts and i think actually you have replied to mine so i know i can sleep at night now as he is with another crazy cat lady (no offence!) Seriously he's going to be a good addition to your family. Give him a huge Scottish fuss from me and thanks so much for giving him a home. X
jillyvillyvoo
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by jillyvillyvoo »

P's. Thank goodness for shelley !
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Oh Jilly (if it's OK to call you that!) it's really big-hearted of you to look at it that way, bless you! I shall tell Paddington that he had people fighting over him. And that he's worth it. If I remember correctly you have an FIV+ boy already? :)

Paddington's such a sweetheart, and he owes his life to the lovely Shelley, who fought his corner and saved him. I will take good care of him and not let her down. Or him. Or you. :)
jillyvillyvoo
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by jillyvillyvoo »

Hi yes I'm just happy and relieved! I didn't know until I logged on that he went to someone from this forum so it was lovely to know I would hear of his progress. Yes I took in a wee fiv stray in August (pepsi the pest))and he is now part of the family. At first I didn't want to keep him as I was, like most, very uneducated on these matters but thanks to catchat and everyone here i got in touch with barbara and bob at the sanctuary for whom i am very grateful!
Paddingtons photo that shelley posted did it for me! So handsome! Thanks again for taking him on I have a feeling he is extremely grateful to be out of that cage and into a loving home x
p's yes jilly is good x
nannymcfee
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by nannymcfee »

I knew if i logged on after a week or too off there would be a new old cat at yours, ! :D he already looks at home, and shall i say not a skinny chips either .You and hubby are such brilliant people ! :D