When will he stop growing?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Mollysmummy
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

When will he stop growing?

Post by Mollysmummy »

I'm a bit confused. Every single book/article I've read plus my vet says that cats should be fully grown by their 1st birthday and then just keep filling out.

Kevin is 14 months now and is DEFINITELY still growing! His legs seem to have had another spurt overnight so he looks like bambi this morning! That's always followed by body then head last. Every time this happens I think it must be his last growth spurt but he keeps going! What's the oldest your cats have continued growing to?

FYI as far as I know he's just a regular shorthair black moggie.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: When will he stop growing?

Post by meriad »

I also thought that most mogs are usually fully grown by one, but no reason why some can't go on a bit longer?

I have two NFC's and they typically grow until about 2 and mature about 4? And I think Maine Coon's can grow until about 3 or 4 even?
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by lilynmitz »

My Zig is about 18 months old, and has certainly filled out in the 3 months he's been with us, but I wouldn't say he's got longer legged. (He's a lanky lad already!)
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by alanc »

Has Kevin any Maine Coon in his ancestry? Meriad has underestimated the time they keep on growing! Badger and Tilly were still getting longer and taller until near their 5th birthdays.
Mollysmummy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollysmummy »

I don't think so, although I'm not sure if I'd necessarily know? He's definitely short haired, I know his mum was a tortie and he was the only black kitten in the litter so it's possible he has a different dad? When he was a kitten he looked a very dark brown tabby almost but that seems to have disappeared, he just looks brown in the sunlight now. One thought I did have was that he's got some Savannah in him? He's long and lean and I've seen chocolate ones? Il try to upload some pics.
Mollysmummy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollysmummy »

Ok tried to resize some pics!
Attachments
Tried to catch him upright tonight...best I could manage! Look at the length of that tail!
Tried to catch him upright tonight...best I could manage! Look at the length of that tail!
image.jpg (43.22 KiB) Viewed 3217 times
About a month ago
About a month ago
image.jpg (56.37 KiB) Viewed 3217 times
A couple of months ago
A couple of months ago
image.jpg (80.64 KiB) Viewed 3217 times
His fur when he was tiny!
His fur when he was tiny!
image.jpg (60.08 KiB) Viewed 3217 times
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by alanc »

He looks a great cat, but I must admit he doesn't look as though he has any Maine Coon in him! I have been looking through my cat care books and none of them is absolutely specific about when cats stop growing, not that they seem to pay much attention to this matter at all. Anyway, I am sure Kevin will carry on growing or not as he sees fit, whatever anyone may say he ought to do.
Mollysmummy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollysmummy »

Thanks :) he's a little cutie, but he's naughty! He likes to sleep on my chest at night. We've got another black cat Molly who is roughly 2-4, we got her as a rescue so we're not totally sure. She's got a wonky tail which we think gives her character.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by lilynmitz »

Hey, he's the dead spit of our Ziggy! Zig has those black tabby markings too! Gorgeous puss!
Mollysmummy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollysmummy »

Molly was called Ziggy when we first saw her in the rescue shelter
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by lilynmitz »

Spooky!