Halloween Horrors

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Grace56
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Halloween Horrors

Post by Grace56 »

My Dave seems very unsettled and anxious this evening. He refuses to go out, won't even sit on the rug near the open door as he usually likes to do.
There are some fireworks going off and lots of families with kids walking up and down the street.

Dave is eating ok and looks bright eyed, but I know he is not quite ok. As I say, he seems stressed and anxious. I just got the Felliway out to try and help him, but he just pelted upstairs and is now under the bed.

Is anyone else having cat problems like this tonight?

Thanks,

Grace and a very scared Dave.

It's just occurred to me that it's the sound of lots of kids that's making Dave anxious. He dislikes them intensely and hides if any come to the house.
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Halloween Horrors

Post by greenkitty »

Pip is quite anxious too, someone rang the doorbell earlier which sent her scrambling to get upstairs, there's a bit of noise from the road which is making her twitchy and on edge. It doesn't go on too late so hopefully not much longer to go.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Grace56 wrote:It's just occurred to me that it's the sound of lots of kids that's making Dave anxious. He dislikes them intensely and hides if any come to the house
Poor old Dave, kids have that effect on me too! :lol:

Can you distract him with something else, turn up the telly, radio etc. It is times like this that I am so glad we live in the middle of nowhere.
Grace56
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Grace56 »

Thanks Bobby's Girl and Greenkitty. I am watching a film now and Dave is in his cardboard box :D
It has calmed down a bit outside but the little chap shows no inclination to go out yet.

Yes, Boby's Girl....kids have that effect on me as well. :lol:

Have a good evening all. :) xx

By the way, has anybody tried the cat music channel on YouTube? It's very good and there's some nice music for calming your cats in all sorts of situations. Fireworks, storms, separation anxiety etc.
Mrs Kane
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mrs Kane »

We've had a few firecrackers over here but Sofi is so used to them from the Saint George and Saint Joan holidays that she doesn't pay much mind to it anymore. The life of a city cat I suppose.

Trick or treaters aren't really an issue but when one does ring the bell she's always at the door waiting to see who it is. And then she tries to escape up the communal stairs :D
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

We're pretty much in the middle of nowhere, with the added bonus of living on a busy link road with only about 18" of pavement - even the charity knockers don't bother us here! :D
mr_frisky
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by mr_frisky »

I've never had any people come knocking at Halloween. I think they think it's that weird cat man, let's not go anywhere near his house. I have visions of balls landing on the frontage but children being too scared to retrieve them, and daring one another! Anyway, away from that early 60s Disney fantasy, there are plenty of annoying fireworks going off tonight (and last night). They tend to go on for about 2 weeks either side of November the 5th. I wish they would ban fireworks for private sale. At least the cats don't seem too fussed - their ears go back a bit when there is a particularly loud one, but other than that they aren't that fussed it seems.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Thankfully the fireworks are over here (until New Year). We have far fewer fireworks now since they brought in new rules for purchasing them - in Ireland. You have to apply for a 'licence' to buy them now. So most folks don't bother, alright by me!

I bought a pumpkin to try to make pumpkin pie. I only needed 500g and OH suggested I make a lantern with the rest. Bit of a faff cutting out the bit I needed for the pie without destroying the pumpkin but it worked. I did a cat face and took a photo, which I will post later, but I wish I had managed to get a photo of the expression on Bob's face when he saw it! It was 'waaa, wossat?' :shock: :?

Oh and the pie turned out OK too!
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Photo's as promised. The first is a pumpkin a friend of ours made. It's a mad Minion - we LOVE the Minions! Willow looks really impressed (not).
rsz_092.jpg
(84.5 KiB) Not downloaded yet
rsz_103.jpg
(98.43 KiB) Not downloaded yet
rsz_1100.jpg
pumpkin pie
(189.74 KiB) Not downloaded yet
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

bobbys girl wrote:Thankfully the fireworks are over here (until New Year). We have far fewer fireworks now since they brought in new rules for purchasing them - in Ireland. You have to apply for a 'licence' to buy them now. So most folks don't bother, alright by me!
I'd welcome that kind of law here. I was out on Saturday night (staying away overnight) so made sure curtains were closed, lights and radio on etc, door bell disabled, notice on the door asking no trick or treat, to give the cats as good a chance of peace and quiet as possible. And according to my neighbour who usually cat sits for me all was totally fine until apparently someone down the road let off a barage of fireworks at 11.30pm! So absolutely bloody inconsiderate; no thought to elderly, children, animals or anyone - just this typical me me me attitude.
bobbys girl wrote:Oh and the pie turned out OK too!
Was it the recipe for a typical American pie, so quite sweet? I've only had it once and still not sure if I liked it or not :lol:
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

It was a recipe I found in Landscape magazine. It is quite sweet but has cinnamon and spices in it. Quite yummy if I say so myself! :D
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

That does sound yummy, looks pretty darned good too! Love the lanterns! :D
Mrs Kane
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mrs Kane »

Looks sweet bobby! I tried making a pumpkin pie too but I think I got a bad pumpkin as the whole inside was rotten and brown :x I washed the good pips out and sprinkled them with sugar and cinnamon and toasted them under the grill though. They made for excellent Scary movie snacks!

It's a real shame as I wanted to have a go at making soup as well. Oh well, I suppose there's always next year.