Kitty scales

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Kitty scales

Post by Walesgang »

I am a tad obsessed about cats' weight after losing our darling Luna to lymphoma.

Her babies Henry and Tips have lost a bit of weight - picked up at their annual booster/check ups.

I think it would be a good idea to keep a bit of an eye on them but don't really want to take them to the vets because it is about an hour round trip.

Does anyone have any recommendations for suitable scales I could buy? I seem to think that Mark, you have bought some to monitor your gorgeous Kylie.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Kitty scales

Post by Crewella »

I've been thinking about getting some - my vet says to get digital baby weighing scales. Apparently they take a quick 'average' weight so it doesn't keep changing as they move about.
judes
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by judes »

the easiest way i have found if you dare and are able to pick up cat is

weigh self
pick up cat
weigh self and cat
the difference is weight of cat
works best with digital scales
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

my method is to weigh self holding empty cat basket, and again with cat in basket, and subtract first from second
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

If I had to "weigh self" first it would never get done! The baby scales method sounds good, with least trauma to the cat (or owner!)
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

Yes Val. I bought these. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161738781664? ... EBIDX%3AIT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It says they are in 10g increments on the listing, but they are actually 5g, which is even better :)
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Walesgang »

Thanks Mark. How do you find the results compare with the scales at the vets? I guess that after the initial weighing it's just relative - an increase or decrease and by how much. I am going to get one for ease and peace of mind
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

They seem pretty accurate Val. I think I just misread the last time. They do need to stay still for a couple of seconds for them to register. I don't think they are as sophisticated as the ones that work out average weight, but you can press a button to make the scale display the weight for a few seconds - which I keep forgetting to press and I lost the leaflet. If they are out at all, I would guess they could only be out by a fraction, so at least give you a good idea. I meant to look for things I know the weight of, like a bag of sugar - but that may not be accurate itself?
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by alanc »

I use a variation of Kay's method. Weigh cat basket empty with digital luggage scales (which weigh up to 40kg) put cat in basket and weigh both. The readout is at eye level where I can see it, which with 7.5kg of Maine Coon in the way is not the case with bathroom scales! Gives an answer to within 10g and seams to be much the same as the Vets scales. Not that Tilly always cooperates with the Vet weighing her, sometimes does not stay on the pad long enough to get a reading.
Alan
MarrowFarmer
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by MarrowFarmer »

If you have a Wii and Wii fit you can set up profiles for pets and it keeps a graph of their weight, you just step on the board without them and then again holding them. Not the most accurate weigh in but the graph shows clearly if the weight is fluctuating. It's is pretty useful for tracking their progress as well as looking pretty cute :)
mr_frisky
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by mr_frisky »

I got some of these last week, they seem pretty good.

http://www.ideas4pets.co.uk/salter-vete ... ales-ms-15

I've been concerned about Tango's weight since she had pancreatitis. Whereas she seems completely back to normal now (touch wood) and has been eating like a horse, she is still quite slight (always has been) and weighed 3.53kg last night, up a little from 2 weeks ago.

I suppose I'll weigh them once a week.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

I use baby scales, I tested them by weighing Buster before going to the vet and they weren't far out. Not sure what brand they are. Lucy is on a diet but I'm not brave enough to try putting her on them!
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

I have to say that the cheap ones I linked to are very accurate. I was keeping an eye on Kylie's weight and regularly taking her to the vets when it was next door. The weights tallied on their expensive vet scales. Not bad for £20